PDA

View Full Version : My daughter is gaming the potty training system

TxCat
04-20-2013, 11:40 AM
So, we're starting the Jensen 3-Day PT today. Started off disastrously with tears and crying just on going into the bathroom and seeing the potty/sitting on the potty. With an M&M per trip/accident, crying reduced to nothing. And then, she actually peed in the potty. However, despite effusive praise, clapping, offers of rewards (M&Ms, brownie bite, lemonade, popsicle, iPad games, painting, play-doh), she now refuses to get OFF the potty. She is very contentedly sitting there rereading her potty book over and over again and playing with her toy bear that she brought to the bathroom. I did not foresee this maneuver.

hillview
04-20-2013, 01:17 PM
no BTDT but :hysterical: (sorry)

Smillow
04-20-2013, 08:21 PM
We PT during a heatwave last summer & DS spent an inordinate amount of time for the first week or so on the potty in front of a video. He had trouble figuring out how to relax and go (he could hold it for HOURS). I'm thinking it helped him figure it out. It took us longer than 3 days, but once he got, he got it!

TxCat
04-20-2013, 09:39 PM
no BTDT but :hysterical: (sorry)

Yeah, it is funny. After 45 minutes, DH just said "Well, the book sure didn't prepare us for that."

♥ms.pacman♥
04-20-2013, 10:46 PM
i think ALL kids figure out how game the potty training system..i've never heard of one who didn't!!

i had one friend (who used the one M&M per pee reward initially) complain that her dd would hold in her pee and just pee a teeny amount every time just to get an m&m..then would repeat this ad nauseum, especially at bedtime/naptime. my DS pulled this one a few times too, before bedtime.

then there's my ds, who would refuse to poop in the potty. he would pee but not poo. we started talking away trains from him for everytime he pooped in his underwear. at school they put a diaper on him for nap time, and he figured out that he could poo in his diaper during naptime. so he would often hold his poop until he got diaper on (naptime or bedtime), just to avoid pooping in the potty. SO annoying! we're finally getting over that phase though...