PDA

View Full Version : Panic related asthma? House broken into last night

flashy09
04-21-2013, 05:39 AM
Long terrifying night. A man came in my house at 230 am and I had to call 911 from the bedroom. I was pretty convinced he was going to come upstairs and kill us all, but luckily he didn't. But it was really scary. I have been awake since and now literally can't stop coughing. Horrible tickle and tightness in chest. I was diagnosed with asthma five years ago in the UK due to wheezing (without tightness or coughing) and given inhalers but never had to use them and don't have them anymore. Also have had panic attacks, but this doesn't feel like one. But definitely anxious and wondering if anxiety can cause coughing or if this is asthma or totally unrelated? I am not sick and this cough is pretty severe.

Melaine
04-21-2013, 06:31 AM
Oh my gosh! How terrifying! I'm glad you are ok.

My guess is the anxiety giving you asthma symptoms. I have both panic attacks and asthma and sometimes when I am stressed I have a repetitive cough. Have you tried taking a cold shower? That helps me when stressed.

DietCokeLover
04-21-2013, 07:05 AM
I can't imagine how scary that would have been!

I agree with pp that it sounds to me as if your anxiety has exacerbated your asthma.

Take care of yourself and I am glad you are safe.

georgiegirl
04-21-2013, 07:55 AM
How scary!!! I get asthma when I have a cold, and for me symptoms are exacerbated by stress and anxiety.

MamaMolly
04-21-2013, 10:47 AM
Oh honey, I'm so sorry. That is really awful. Please take good care of yourself today, and down the road. We weren't home when our house was broken into and robbed but I had a 'fight-or-flight' response the first time I had to go in alone about a week later. :(

Luckily I had some training previously about what our bodies do in that kind of situation, so I recognized what was going on, but it was bad. Long story short my brain was telling me that everything was ok but my body was having a completely different reaction.

What you are experiencing is normal but that doesn't mean it is ok. I wonder if your asthma has been triggered as a physical reaction to the situation? IIWY I'd go to a doc in a box and see about getting an inhaler. Can those be bought OTC anymore? I remember Primatine inhalers were a long time ago.

Huge, huge hugs. I'll be thinking of you!

flashy09
04-21-2013, 12:42 PM
Thanks so much for the kind words. Usually my DH and I go to bed together and the last thing we do is let the dogs out and then it's easy to remember to lock the back door. However, last night I went to bed first and the dogs came with me and my DH came up a few hours later and just didn't think about the back door. You would think we could get it away with it once, but had some terrible luck.

Cannot describe how terrifying it is to hear your door open and shut and know someone is in your house!! My DH still wasn't convinced and went down the stairs, caught sight of the guy, ran back up and told me to call 911 (Dh was naked, unarmed, and the man was massive) . It was my worst nightmare and it took the police 12 minutes....we are right in town and there are police cars everywhere so that was surprising and the dispatcher kept asking if it was my room mate, which was so irritating, lol!

We heard the door open and shut again - this guy was not trying to be quiet - and I saw him walk out the back gate and on to our street. He walked straight down the middle of the street, on his phone, totally nonchalant and I was begging the dispatcher to get the police here so they could catch him. But they didn't.

Anyway, about an hour later I started coughing like crazy and couldn't figure out if it was true asthma or something unrelated and if it was asthma would it go away or did I need to get help. It lasted about two hours and then went away so I guess not that serious. Probably was an anxiety related minor flare up?

Now I don't even want to be alone during the day here and have no idea what to do tonight. Getting an alarm system ASAP and want to stay in a hotel until then! The man also tried getting in through the basement door, which is really hidden, so I feel like he knows the house....probably the same guy who broke into my car a few weeks ago! I think I need a new neighborhood.

I will say I have been totally anti guns, but would have given anything to had one last night in case he did come up the stairs! A little more sympathetic to the other side now.

flashy09
04-21-2013, 12:54 PM
Also I keep wondering why he shut the door? Would he not want a quick getaway and to make less noise? He didn't take the Ipad, the laptops, or my wallet. We think some cash out of DH's wallet. Do you think he was wanting to do something more sinister?

MMMommy
04-21-2013, 01:01 PM
How terrifying! I am so glad you and your family are safe now.

KLD313
04-21-2013, 01:04 PM
So scary. I had people break into my house but I wasn't home. I think they were kids though but I felt so violated and that's when I got my Akita. I wonder if he was on drugs or something? Sounds like odd behavior on his part.

wencit
04-21-2013, 01:18 PM
Oh my goodness! My chest was tightening up just reading your experience, so I'm betting your asthma symptoms could definitely be related!

So scary!!! Praying the police catch that guy soon! :hug:

mommy111
04-21-2013, 01:22 PM
Wow, how very scary!!!!! Thank heavens you are safe!

lmh2402
04-21-2013, 01:25 PM
that is petrifying!!!

so glad you guys are ok :hug:

flashy09
04-21-2013, 01:26 PM
Around 930 pm we had a girl come to the door and ask very nervously for "Rachel", like she knew the answer, and then dash away. There was a police car that passed by at the same time on our street at the time and I thought maybe she was trying to get away from it and seem like she had a reason for being on the street. But maybe she was the girlfriend or accomplice and was scoping out who lived here? I just can't stop replaying everything.

Would you stay here again tonight (with locked doors) or go to a hotel until an alarm system is in place?

StantonHyde
04-21-2013, 01:36 PM
I am still in my house 2 months after surprising a burglary in process. DH had to go to work the night it happened. I was left alone in my house with 2 kids and a giant hole in my back door where he kicked in the dog door. I didn't sleep that well that night. DH fixed the door the next day. And we changed locks and we now lock the door between the garage and the house (e.g. inside the garage)

We still don't have an alarm system. We are putting one in this summer when we remodel the house. We live in a peaceful neighborhood. If you live in one that you don't trust as much, then I can see putting in a system pronto. But I don't know that I would stay in a hotel till then. But you have a baby who doesn't know that she is leaving her house necessarily. My kids are 10 and 7. Not sleeping in their beds/totally disrupting their routines would have made it worse for them. If it makes you feel better, then do it.

ETA--you have every right/need to be frightened. My response above is coming from a view point of 2 months after the fact.

Globetrotter
04-21-2013, 01:43 PM
Of course you were terrified. :hug:

I'm sure your symptoms are related to some fight or flight response. I, too, wonder if he was on drugs.

squimp
04-21-2013, 02:05 PM
Did you tell the police all of this? Any chance this guy got a hold of a key? Credit cards? ID? I would probably change the locks. I am so sorry this happened to you, how terrifying. I wonder if he was looking for something in particular since he didn't steal anything.

Momit
04-21-2013, 02:27 PM
Oh my gosh. How terrifying! So glad you are all ok. No words of advice, just hugs.

We've done exactly as you described, usually we let out the dog and go to bed together but occasionally one of us will go up alone. I've often found the back door unlocked in the morning because we each assumed the other had locked it. Can't believe this happened to you on one of those rare times.

queenmama
04-21-2013, 03:24 PM
One of my greatest fears, no wonder you're so upset! Thankful all of you are alright! I would be very frustrated at the police dragging their feet and letting the guy literally walk off Scot free.

Again, glad you're okay, and I hope you find peace of mind with an alarm so you can feel better!

Lara

pastrygirl
04-21-2013, 05:58 PM
How terrifying!!!! I'm glad you are all OK! I hadn't thought about the key thing; any chance you can re-key all your locks, in case he did make off with a key?

liz
04-21-2013, 08:15 PM
oh wow. :hug::hug::hug: to you.

flashy09
04-21-2013, 08:24 PM
I am so scared now that it's getting darker. Have no idea how I am supposed to sleep. The sound of the squeaky door opening and shutting has been going through my head all day. Literally my worst nightmare came true. Couldn't even stay home alone during the day today. How will I ever feel safe again? Is 12 minutes a slow police response considering we are right in town? Or is that normal for a Saturday? Seemed so slow considering I said I had someone in my house.

chozen
04-21-2013, 08:31 PM
Could of he Been confused? Like maybe the wrong house. It just sounds strange, the way he just walked casually down the street? And didn't take anything. How long was he in the house? Generally speaking can I ask what part of the country you live in?

MamaMolly
04-21-2013, 08:39 PM
Ok, this is going to sound silly, but I'm all for doing silly if it gives you peace of mind. IIWY I'd do all kinds of things to the house like put legos on the floor in front of the door (on the inside) leave lights on, kind of do your own version of Home Alone IYKWIM. Make getting into your house tonight a truly unpleasant experience.

Also you can call the non-emergency police line and request them to do a few drive by checks on the house.

Green_Tea
04-21-2013, 08:43 PM
Did the police seem to take you seriously once they arrived? I'd leave all the lights blazing tonight, and take the car keys to bed with you so you can set off the car alarm from your room.

I SERIOUSLY doubt he'll be back, but whatever makes you feel better you should do!

SnuggleBuggles
04-21-2013, 08:44 PM
I'd be right with you in a hotel. I'm so sorry. :(.

When dh goes out if town, I do what Mama Molly said and set loud traps.

amatahrain
04-21-2013, 09:00 PM
Did the police seem to take you seriously once they arrived? I'd leave all the lights blazing tonight, and take the car keys to bed with you so you can set off the car alarm from your room.

I SERIOUSLY doubt he'll be back, but whatever makes you feel better you should do!

I'd be in a hotel but I love the idea of the car alarm!

flashy09
04-21-2013, 09:15 PM
I'd be right with you in a hotel. I'm so sorry. :(.

When dh goes out if town, I do what Mama Molly said and set loud traps.

Ugh, now I feel like I should be in a hotel! That's what I wanted to do, but DH seemed to think I was overreacting. Loud traps are a great idea. Although I am going to be listening all night for them! We replaced all of our burned out lightbulbs and really brightened up the outside of the house, put chimes on the gate, locked the doors of course, got a huge super duty flash light and Dh brought a shotgun from the farm. I don't know if that last part is a good idea or not, but he's a great shot and it feels right for the situation this week.

flashy09
04-21-2013, 09:19 PM
Could of he Been confused? Like maybe the wrong house. It just sounds strange, the way he just walked casually down the street? And didn't take anything. How long was he in the house? Generally speaking can I ask what part of the country you live in?

No, I know everyone on the two streets in this neighborhood. Plus he did take cash out of DH wallet. But it is a bit weird he didn't take anything else, I hope that means he is really small time and just wanted some quick money!

kara97210
04-21-2013, 09:20 PM

First :hug:, this sounds terrifying. My worst nightmare too.

I was wondering if your DH got a good look at the intruder. We have friends have someone try to get in their house through the side door once. The intruder acted really casual, parked in their carport, fumbled around a lot, etc. They happended to be up with a new baby and called the cops who were there in a matter of minutes. It was a neighbor who came home drunk and went to the wrong house. The cops told them they get lot of the calls between 2-3 am (after bars close) with people attempting to get in the wrong house. Sometimes it's people going to houses they recently moved out of, or trying to visit a girlfriend. I remember shortly after our friends' attempted break-in there was a story about something similar happening with a celebrity, a drunk neighbor climbing their fence. Not sure if this is a possibility considering your intruder was acting pretty bizarrely (walking down the street casually on the phone, etc).

To answer your question above, 12 minutes seems like a really long time for a police response. The 2 times that I've had to call police they were there in under 5 minutes. Both times were much less urgent than what happened to you last night.

ETA: We cross posted. It's definitely scary knowing it's not a neighbor. I found an article about the celebrity break-in - http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/10/28/tom-cruises-beverly-hills-house-is-reportedly-burglarized/. It was Tom Cruise and the police came out and tasered the drunk neighbor.

sweetsue98
04-21-2013, 09:34 PM
I'm so sorry it happened to you. I would probably keep the baby in the room.

doberbrat
04-21-2013, 09:59 PM
I got chills reading that. 12min sounds like a REALLY long time to me. (bet it was an eternity to you!)

I called our local PD recently b/c my car had been broken into the night before and they were there quicker than that.

I'd absolutely call and ask for drive bys and boobytrap the entrances.

and fwiw, I get the shotgun thing. I'll never have a gun here for a variety of reasons but there is a part of me that was wishing we had one on Fri with all the chaos around us.

flashy09
04-22-2013, 07:13 AM
Well, we lived through the night! I feel SO much better with some sleep and much less edgy. I left every light on in the house and put the baby's electronic toys by all the doors and throughout the rooms - some of those toys are super sensitive and start singing and lighting up if they feel a light breeze!

Today I will call the alarm company and set up an installation. Probably get all the locks changed and some super heavy duty deadbolts.

My car was broken into a few weeks ago for the first time. I was about to go ahead with remodeling our bathrooms, but think I will settle for some quick cosmetic changes and put this house on the market!

I really want to thank everyone for all the support and advice. And as for the original question, I assume an isolated coughing fit with tight chest for 2 hrs after the break in was due to asthma caused by anxiety? People without asthma would not cough due to anxiety, right? But then again it went away without medication - would real asthma do that?

queenmama
04-22-2013, 08:11 AM
I'm not sure on the asthma but seeing as it can be triggered from anxiety and you were in an incredibly anxious situation, maybe it relaxed when you did, so to speak.

Glad you were able to get some rest! I hope the alarm is installed quickly so you can breathe easy again (no pun intended!).

I'm a big baby about being home when DH works nights, so I leave all of the lights on and the tv blaring. I tell myself that nobody in their right minds would break into this house with this dog (he's outside a lot so the neighborhood is quite familiar with him, and he is decidedly unfriendly!!)... but as you've just experienced, not everyone is in their right minds!

Lara

mom2binsd
04-22-2013, 09:40 AM
I would also go down to the police station and ask if there have been other similar breakins and also notify as many neighbors as possible. Our neighborhood sends out emails on occasion when there is something going on (good and bad), there isn't usually much as we live in "Mayberry" but a few years ago some cars on the street were broken into.

YES- leave your porch lights on all night, front and back.

SO sorry this happened! If you continue to have panic attacks and anxiety I'd go see your primary doc.

TwoBees
04-22-2013, 09:44 AM
No advice, but **hugs**