PDA

View Full Version : Best foundation brush?

zukeypur
04-21-2013, 10:36 AM
I just got some new MUFE HD foundation and now I need a foundation brush to apply it. It goes on well with fingers, but I know that a lot of you get better results with a brush. I will not send a ton of money on a brush, no matter how good it is. I'm looking for something under $20 (preferably) that will give me good coverage and not shed, and bonus points if you find something available at Walgreens or Ulta. Also, today is the last day of Sephora's 15% off if there is a good option there.

Also, what do you clean your brushes with and how often? I have to admit I don't clean my powder brushes , but I know I need to.

AnnieW625
04-21-2013, 10:41 AM
I love my MAC 187 brush, it is worth the price of $40, but Sigma brushes also get rave reviews. The F80 (http://www.sigmabeauty.com/Sigma_Flat_Top_Synthetic_Kabuki_F_80_p/f80.htm) is like the 187 with a flat head.

zukeypur
04-21-2013, 10:49 AM
Is Sigma sold in stores or only online?

MelissaTC
04-21-2013, 10:51 AM
I swear by the Sigma F80. I get a flawless application. I wear YSL's teint touché éclat foundation and find that I use very little with the brush. I had found a tutorial and followed the directions. It's a steal at $16!

I bought mine from Amazon.

zukeypur
04-21-2013, 09:27 PM
Thanks! I wasn't even thinking of a kabuki type brush. I have one that I can use until I order the F80. Is there a benefit to using a kabuki style instead of a tapered foundation brush?

fauve01
04-21-2013, 11:27 PM
I bought my Tarte foundation from QVC because the brush came with it. You can purchase it separately at Sephora:
http://www.sephora.com/airbrush-finish-bamboo-foundation-brush-P302919

It's an awesome brush! I love it. :heartbeat:

lcarlson90
04-22-2013, 12:47 AM
I bought my Tarte foundation from QVC because the brush came with it. You can purchase it separately at Sephora:

I have the same one and I love it too!

wellyes
04-22-2013, 07:26 AM
If you're using MUFE, you may want the airbushed look, but.... I personally prefer a classic scalpel shaped foundation brush rather than a fluffy or kabuki style, because I like a more subtle look. I use Ecotools, which is a good but very cheap brand. http://www.soap.com/p/tools-foundation-brush-64919?site=CA&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc_S&utm_term=APT-011&utm_campaign=GoogleAW&CAWELAID=1323253744&utm_content=pla&adtype=pla&cagpspn=pla

MelissaTC
04-22-2013, 07:51 AM
Thanks! I wasn't even thinking of a kabuki type brush. I have one that I can use until I order the F80. Is there a benefit to using a kabuki style instead of a tapered foundation brush?

I have both and find that with the F80, I am able to get better coverage and a flawless application (and I use less foundation because of it). I need to see if I can find that link for you. It is a step by step tutorial by a makeup artist. He swears by it and I figured it was a good endorsement so I tried it. Now I won't use anything else (except for maybe the beauty blender sponge although I use a knockoff). None of my sigma brushes shed either.

I wash my brushes often. I have a brush cleaner I bought at Ulta. Definitely clean them once a week as the makeup builds up and you don't get as good an application, especially foundation.

queenmama
04-22-2013, 07:58 AM
I've never applied liquid foundation with a brush. Should I be embarrassed to admit this?

I've used BE for about a decade and, of course, that requires a brush to apply. But any foundation I used before that was applied with a sponge or, more often, my fingers. :o

Guess I should look at YouTube for some tutorials! I'm over BE and wanting to try something new anyway.

Lara

mom2khj
04-22-2013, 10:01 AM
I still can't get the hang of using a brush for liquid foundation. I use MUFE HD and I feel like I'm just pushing the foundation around my face instead of blending it in. I ended up giving up and using my hands.

I may try a kabuki brush though, I've never considered using one of those for liquid!

cookiemonster80
04-22-2013, 10:04 AM
How is the kabuki used exactly? Swipe or circular motions or stipple??

jam224
04-22-2013, 10:37 AM

This looks *exactly* like the brush I use for my foundation! It's called a "bronzer" brush, but I love it for applying my mineral powder foundation:
http://www.drugstore.com/eco-tools-bamboo-bronzer-brush/qxp231088?catid=183638
(Drugstore.com is having a 20% off sale on everything in their "natural" department, if you look at the homepage.)

I wash my brushes whenever I think about it -- ideally once a week, but lately it's more like once every couple of weeks, oops. :p I just use hot water and my fave organic body wash, Earth Mama Happy Mama wash: http://www.drugstore.com/earth-mama-angel-baby-hand-to-toe-wash/qxp335800?catid=183044

ETA: If you don't have free Shoprunner shipping for Drugstore.com, I bet you could find the brush in store at Walgreens or Ulta. Maybe even Target. Worth a try!

zukeypur
04-22-2013, 11:48 AM
If you're using MUFE, you may want the airbushed look, but.... I personally prefer a classic scalpel shaped foundation brush rather than a fluffy or kabuki style, because I like a more subtle look. I use Ecotools, which is a good but very cheap brand. http://www.soap.com/p/tools-foundation-brush-64919?site=CA&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc_S&utm_term=APT-011&utm_campaign=GoogleAW&CAWELAID=1323253744&utm_content=pla&adtype=pla&cagpspn=pla

I bought this one last night at Walgreens.

twowhat?
04-22-2013, 12:17 PM
I still can't get the hang of using a brush for liquid foundation. I use MUFE HD and I feel like I'm just pushing the foundation around my face instead of blending it in. I ended up giving up and using my hands.

I may try a kabuki brush though, I've never considered using one of those for liquid!

I apply my MUFE HD with the tiny sample brush that came with my BM sample :bag.

But it works well. What I do is squirt a little foundation on my finger and dab it over my face, working just one section of my face at a time (e.g left cheek, right cheek, nose and chin, forehead) so it doesn't dry out. Dab just a tiny amount in several places. Dot-dot-dot-dot-dot. Then I take the dry brush and "stipple" it on...not using brush-like strokes but just gently patting the brush (using the tips of the bristles) over the dots of foundation. I stipple until it's evenly distributed and doesn't look like dots of foundation anymore (working quickly so it doesn't dry out). THEN I use traditional brush strokes to blend in, going in circles in a buffing motion. I have no idea if that's the right way to do it but it has worked for me. Otherwise, yes, it feels like you're just pushing it around. The "stippling" seems to distribute the foundation around in very tiny amounts so that it "sticks" to the skin better before blending.

MMMommy
04-28-2013, 01:52 PM
Thanks to those who mentioned Sigma brushes. I'm intrigued and just ordered the F80 and F82. To be safe, I ordered directly from Sigma because some reviews were saying that they received some fakes on Amazon (the sellers on Amazon weren't Amazon, but 3rd party sellers).

For powder foundation, I really like Estée Lauder's Powder Foundation Brush 3.

zukeypur
04-28-2013, 03:05 PM
I didn't like the flat foundation brush from Walgreens. I've been using my kabuki from PUR minerals and I really like it. I'm watching the price of the sigma on amazon and waiting for it to go down.

queenmama
04-28-2013, 03:26 PM
I went out and bought the F80 after this discussion and I'm really loving it so far. I feel like such a grownup. haha

Lara

AnnieW625
04-28-2013, 04:00 PM
I went out and bought the F80 after this discussion and I'm really loving it so far. I feel like such a grownup. haha

Lara

I always thought I would never get the hang of using a foundation brush to apply foundation until I got the Mac brush. I had a flat foundation brush prior and couldn't get the hang of it either. I always used the little cosmetic sponges to apply liquid foundation.

I wash my makeup brushes with Johnson's Head to Toe Baby Wash (or similar like Baby Magic). I should wash them more than I do:bag