PDA

View Full Version : Question for coffee drinkers

KLD313
04-21-2013, 02:03 PM
I've been a tea drinker my whole life, my mom used to give me tiny cups of it when I was a young child. Lately, I've been getting into coffee and I'm trying ti wean myself off of how much sugar I need to out into it. I just don't like the aftertaste that to me tastes burnt. Is it the coffee, the coffee pot or just how coffee tastes?

I'm thinking it may be the coffee pot. I'm using a Gevalia freebie that I've had for years. When I make coffee for parties I use a huge metal coffee urn and it's more drinkable without all the sugar, IMO. I'm using Hawaiian coffee that wasn't cheap.

Any ideas?

Piglet
04-21-2013, 02:06 PM
I used to drink coffee with sugar, but then found that when I drink Americanos (espresso, water), I don't need the sugar. Since I stopped sugar in espresso drinks, I also found I don't need it in regular coffee. The exception is the cheaper (donut shop, gas station or convenience store) coffee - then I need a ton of sugar! At home I have a Nespresso and never need sugar.

brittone2
04-21-2013, 02:07 PM
what type of roast is it? To me, some dark roasts taste burnt.

I like coffee with more acid. I'm not a great expert, but I prefer coffees from the Central American region. Sometimes I think you have to find what types you prefer, you know? Hopefully one of the real coffee gurus can guide you.

The pot could play a part too, possibly. Or the ratio of grounds to water?

I can't stand sugar in my coffee, and at one point in my life thought I'd never be able to drink it without. I like half and half. With really good espresso, I can go without sweetener or cream.

wellyes
04-21-2013, 02:09 PM
The problem with the Gevalia freebie (I've had it too) is the hot plate. The coffee brews, is good, then it sits and COOKS in the pot because the burner under the pot is heated. My advice is to pour yourself a cup as soon as it brews, then put the rest of the pot in a thermal carafe to keep it hot but not 'burnt.'

ellies mom
04-21-2013, 02:19 PM
I think it is a factor of all those things. I used to always use cream or milk in my coffee but with the keurig, I generally drink it black. If the coffee is a medium roast, I like it black and with a dark roast, I usually prefer it with milk. The keurig is nice because I'm only making one cup so burning isn't an issue and it is a lot easier to keep clean which helps as well. I also think needing less sugar is something that can happen naturally as you develop a taste for it. When I started drinking coffee, I liked two creams and one sugar. Eventually, I dropped to sugar and as I mentioned earlier, I have mostly dropped the cream as well.

Momit
04-21-2013, 02:20 PM
Can you put in milk instead of sugar? It mellows out the flavor without adding so much sweetness. I actually prefer my coffee black but added milk when I was pregnant and was trying to stretch my one cup as far as possible!

I agree with PP that you might just need to experiment with different blends until you find one you like. Try a cup of coffee when you eat out at a Mexican or Italian restaurant - IME they tend to have excellent coffee. For regular ground coffee I actually like Dunkin Donuts.

KLD313
04-21-2013, 02:20 PM
what type of roast is it? To me, some dark roasts taste burnt. .

It's a medium roast, I don't like a dark roast. I use two scoops of coffee and four 8oz cups, even though I know you're supposed to use 6oz of water.

KLD313
04-21-2013, 02:23 PM
I use milk or half and half if I have it with the sugar. I use about a tablespoon and a half of sugar, that's a lot right? If I drink tea I use a tiny bit of milk and a tiny bit of sugar, I prefer it bitter, I guess I'm strange in my hot beverage consumption.

As for the pot sitting in the burner, I drink it right away, it doesn't sit long at all.

dhano923
04-21-2013, 02:34 PM
I work at a coffee company, so i have a little knowledge about this! :)

Sounds like a) you are burning the coffee on the hot plate, and b) your coffee/water ratio is way off. As odd as it sounds, you need to put more coffee so that you are getting the actual coffee flavor and not just the bitterness filtering through the grounds. Try doing 2 level tablespoons for every 6oz. Then don't let the coffee sit on the burner too long - the longer it sits in the burner, the more bitter it gets because it's burning.

Also, has your coffee been stored properly? It should be kept in an airtight container in a cool spot. If you don't drink it often, keep it in the fridge. Coffee can go rancid due to the oils.

KLD313
04-21-2013, 02:50 PM
I work at a coffee company, so i have a little knowledge about this! :)

Sounds like a) you are burning the coffee on the hot plate, and b) your coffee/water ratio is way off. As odd as it sounds, you need to put more coffee so that you are getting the actual coffee flavor and not just the bitterness filtering through the grounds. Try doing 2 level tablespoons for every 6oz. Then don't let the coffee sit on the burner too long - the longer it sits in the burner, the more bitter it gets because it's burning.

Also, has your coffee been stored properly? It should be kept in an airtight container in a cool spot. If you don't drink it often, keep it in the fridge. Coffee can go rancid due to the oils.

So more water doesn't make it weaker? I'm using level tablespoons but I will try it with the right amount of water. Thanks. I still think I need a different coffee pot because I don't let it sit on the burner at all.

queenmama
04-21-2013, 03:07 PM
We have also found that our coffee tastes bitter if we grind it too coarsely. Could that be a factor for yours?

Lara

sntm
04-21-2013, 04:09 PM
Steaming the milk sweetens it also

anonomom
04-21-2013, 04:12 PM
Steaming the milk sweetens it also

:yeahthat: If you don't have a steamer, any way you heat the milk will work. I use much less sugar when I drink half coffee/half hot milk.

ray7694
04-21-2013, 04:19 PM
I use french vanilla creamer and one sweetner. I also weened off a ton of sugar.

SnuggleBuggles
04-21-2013, 04:31 PM
I started my coffee drinking with lattes (unsweetened). I now drink regular coffee with some cream, no sweetener. I use a French Press- 1T coffee per 4c water. Don't know how that translates to other coffee methods.

maestramommy
04-21-2013, 04:33 PM
We have a Gevalia freebie. I really don't know if there is a difference. I can tell the difference between the 8 O clock coffee and the micro roasted coffee we are now drinking. But I drink my coffee black.

KLD313
04-21-2013, 06:00 PM
I buy ground coffee so I'm assuming it's not too coarse.

I don't have a milk steamer but I will try heating it. Maybe I'll try more milk and less coffee. I started drinking coffee because it's a huge appetite suppressant for me so I don't want to water it down too much. Lol

I bought a breakfast blend light roast today so I will try that tmrw and see if it's less burnt. Otherwise I'll see if getting a new coffee pot helps.