PDA

View Full Version : What to gate check seats in?

infocrazy
04-21-2013, 03:21 PM
We are leaving Wed. This will be a rare flight for our large family, so I don't want to buy a $50+ travel bag. We have an RA classic, 2 backless boosters, and a Combi Connection infant carrier.

What do we put them in that will work ok?

mikala
04-21-2013, 03:23 PM
We have used cheap fabric laundry bags. They keep the seats clean but don't offer much in the way of bump protection.

Momit
04-21-2013, 04:39 PM
We've used heavy duty garbage bags.

jjordan
04-21-2013, 07:38 PM
Does the baby have a seat on the flight? If so, or if the flight has an empty seat and they allow you to use it for him, then you use the infant seat. I assume the RA is for the 3 year old; you use that on the flight. The two backless boosters you take on the flight with you as well. They should count as your kids' "personal items" (which is in addition to their carry-on).

So the only seat you'd end up gate checking is possibly the infant seat. I actually wouldn't get a bag at all, or if anything, a clear plastic bag, so that it's less likely to be treated as just some random thing in a bag, if that makes sense.

okinawama
04-21-2013, 07:46 PM
This is what we do, but we travel with the cosco scenera, so if it's damaged, we aren't out a huge amount of money. We've check the carseat at least 12 times in a garbage bag, and never had any issues.

acmom
04-21-2013, 07:46 PM
We have used cheap fabric laundry bags. They keep the seats clean but don't offer much in the way of bump protection.

:yeahthat: This is what we have done as well. I bought a couple of big blue nylon laundry bags at Walmart for about $5. We have used them for several trips and never had any issues.

ett
04-21-2013, 07:48 PM

:yeahthat: We don't fly much so that's what we used for our last trip.

rolypoly27
04-21-2013, 07:59 PM
Would the laundry bags work for baggage checking a car seat as well? Has anyone done this?

nupe
04-21-2013, 08:05 PM
The last time I flew it was on Southwest. They provided me with a clear plastic bag for checking the carseat, which I was reluctant to do. At the very least it kept the seat from getting wet!

acmom
04-21-2013, 08:05 PM
Would the laundry bags work for baggage checking a car seat as well? Has anyone done this?

Yes - we have checked them this way at both the gate and curbside, as well as the counter.

rolypoly27
04-21-2013, 08:09 PM
Yes - we have checked them this way at both the gate and curbside, as well as the counter.

Great thanks. Looking for an inexpensive option like OP because we rarely fly.

Momit
04-21-2013, 08:21 PM
This is what we do, but we travel with the cosco scenera, so if it's damaged, we aren't out a huge amount of money. We've check the carseat at least 12 times in a garbage bag, and never had any issues.

We do this too. DS just outgrew the Scenera so now we use a spare RA50 as our travel seat. We've never had trouble with carseats getting damaged on a flight - we usually gate check because I feel better about being sure the seat will be on the plane with us, but we have also checked it at the counter once or twice. I do put a luggage tag with our name and "CAR SEAT" on it.

indigo99
04-21-2013, 09:14 PM
FWIW, I think that checking a carseat is akin to having it in the car during a wreck. It can affect the safety (although I think it's worse because you usually know how bad the collision was whereas you don't know if they threw heavy cases on top of the seat on a plane). I wouldn't check more seats than I had to.

amatahrain
04-21-2013, 09:43 PM
:yeahthat: This is what we have done as well. I bought a couple of big blue nylon laundry bags at Walmart for about $5. We have used them for several trips and never had any issues.

:yeahthat:

abh5e8
04-21-2013, 11:35 PM
op, you are gate checking, right? (just refering back to the op title).

we never put them in anything and have not had problems at all. now i've never checked a carseat with baggage, just gate checked it.

tg_canada
04-21-2013, 11:55 PM
Use the infant seat and convertible on board for the kids that use those. And take the backless on board and stow (can't use on board).

You can't always see seat damage so don't check if there's another way.

zag95
04-22-2013, 12:13 AM
We flew to DL last may. Flew on JetBlue- they used a clear plastic bag- so baggage folks can see it is a car seat- you might check with the airline and see what they recommend/require.

vonfirmath
04-22-2013, 09:55 AM
op, you are gate checking, right? (just refering back to the op title).

we never put them in anything and have not had problems at all. now i've never checked a carseat with baggage, just gate checked it.

I've had strollers broken when gate checked so I'm wary of gate checking a car seat, which can be effectively broken in a way I can't tell until it fails to operate properly in an accident :(

infocrazy
04-22-2013, 01:49 PM
Yes, gate check. I am too nervous about baggage check that they would get lost or damaged. We are flying spirit "we literally charge for water" airlines so I think if they bring the boosters on board they would charge us for carryons-maybe not the seats, but now their backpacks aren't their personal item... I guess we could take the ra on, but I feel we will be doing some musical chairs so thought it'd be easier not to... I REALLY hope for a free seat, but I highly doubt it considering it will be hard enough to get us seated with the kids to hope for a free seat! I will still try though.

I think ill go with the clear trash bag idea. Hopefully they will treat them nicer if they see what they are...

Thanks!

jjordan
04-22-2013, 02:03 PM
Yes, gate check. I am too nervous about baggage check that they would get lost or damaged. We are flying spirit "we literally charge for water" airlines so I think if they bring the boosters on board they would charge us for carryons-maybe not the seats, but now their backpacks aren't their personal item... I guess we could take the ra on, but I feel we will be doing some musical chairs so thought it'd be easier not to... I REALLY hope for a free seat, but I highly doubt it considering it will be hard enough to get us seated with the kids to hope for a free seat! I will still try though.

I think ill go with the clear trash bag idea. Hopefully they will treat them nicer if they see what they are...

Thanks!

I've never flown Spirit; we've always done airlines where you get a carry-on plus a personal item per person. So I'd check into that just in case... But definitely plan to take the roundabout on board - kids have to be about 40 pounds before the airplane seat belt works well for them.

tg_canada
04-22-2013, 02:11 PM
What about purchasing BubbleBums for the older ones that use the backless boosters? Those are easy to travel with. And take the other 2 seats on board to use.

SASM
04-22-2013, 02:34 PM

:yeahthat: plus you can fit a few other things in there as well. ;)