PDA

View Full Version : How much to tip movers for a local move?

ourbabygirl
04-21-2013, 04:57 PM
Moving company charges $175/hour for a 3-man crew, with a 2 hour minimum. They quoted us about 8-10 hours based on the drive (about an hour from house to house, plus they charge for drive times from their location to our current house, & back from our new house), and how much stuff we have to load onto the truck. I'm hoping we can get a lot done this week, though, and not need that much time.

Anyhow, I'm wondering how much to tip the guys, and what to offer as far as food (in addition to cold bottles of water), and when. They're supposed to get here between 8 & 9 a.m. We don't have any super heavy or awkward things to move (t.v., exercise equipment, etc.). Hoping the weather will be good for the move, but if not, of course, we'll take that into consideration and increase the tip.

Thanks in advance! :)

jam224
04-22-2013, 11:12 AM
I don't have BTDT advice on tipping, but for food, we just offered getting them subs from Jimmy Johns (closest sub shop). Subway would be a similar choice. DH was getting lunch for us, so that's when we offered to feed them too.

egoldber
04-22-2013, 11:25 AM
We had a 4 man crew for 1.25 days for our recent move.

We gave them $50 for lunch for the first day and then we gave the crew boss $200 to split among them.