PDA

View Full Version : Is there a nice way to word this? Fundraiser $$ request...

nfowife
04-21-2013, 08:21 PM
I am running the kindergarten project for our school auction spring fundraiser. The project we did was an individual project (not auctioned off live). We did silhouette portraits of each child done by a pro photographer (donated her time) and had them professionally printed and mounted. Each parent (not all contributed, but most did) paid a $5 supply fee that covered our expenses (though another mom and I paid about $20 out of pocket for various expenses related to the project). Now we are "selling" the finished items to each family for a requested donation of $30. I have had about 50% of the families contribute at this point and I want to encourage the other 40% who I know have the means to contribute. Every child has a silhouette made and will receive one regardless of ability to pay. We do have a small number of students who I know cannot afford to donate and I do not expect them to. Some families have donated over and above the suggested amount already.

I'm thinking at this point that I should send the remaining projects home this week (the actual auction event was last night) with a note attached saying something to the effect of "Here is your child's silhouette made possible by a generous donation of time in the support of the XYZ school foundation. Please consider supporting the XSF with a suggested contribution in appreciation of the item and in support of (school name). "

100% of any money goes to the school foundation at this point but as the grade organizer I want to get as much as we can, plus I know many of these families live in $500K + homes- and we live in a VERY low cost of living area, the school community is very fortunate here. I think most of them just are not organized or on the ball to pay immediately and then it just gets pushed to the back of everything else everyone has going on.

ideas?

JustMe
04-21-2013, 10:25 PM
Don't know the exact phrasing, but I would concentrate on why it is important to donate, how it helps the classroom and each child, etc. Basically, how will this benefit their child/enrich their child's school experience.

SnuggleBuggles
04-22-2013, 09:00 AM
Don't know the exact phrasing, but I would concentrate on why it is important to donate, how it helps the classroom and each child, etc. Basically, how will this benefit their child/enrich their child's school experience.

:yeahthat:

Make sure your wording doesn't sound like you want to make them feel guilty. Yes, we support your generous time and work but dont make that the highlight. I'd just do a "please enjoy the portrait and consider a suggested donation $x to help raise money for...".

Fwiw, this year each child participated in making one project together that we silent auctioned off. So, just one item and it was highly coveted and there were bidding wars. Bonus was we made it cheap (mod podged their art on reclaimed furniture...total cost of project for 500 kids was $50). I'd learned from the year before that individual projects didn't sell as well.