PDA

View Full Version : Pods/Storage Containers: What do I need to know?

pinkmomagain
04-21-2013, 10:19 PM
So we are renovating after Sandy damage and will have to move about 3/4 of our contents out of our house, while we remain living in 1/4 of the house. We are getting a storage container to store our stuff in the driveway. So. My contractor recommends a steel container rather than a POD.

I guess we'll hire movers to wrap some of the big stuff and move all of it in the container.

Anything I need to know? Tips? Suggestions?

pharmjenn
04-22-2013, 02:01 AM
While I haven't personally used them, I have seen them and the PODS are basically a wood framed box with tarp-type material. They wouldn't be very secure to leave in your driveway.

WatchingThemGrow
04-22-2013, 06:44 AM
My boys' bunkbed/dresser picked up a funky smell from being in a POD last summer. I keep waiting for the smell to go away, but we might need to replace the bunkbeds pretty soon since we still smell it. :(

pinkmomagain
04-22-2013, 08:11 AM
While I haven't personally used them, I have seen them and the PODS are basically a wood framed box with tarp-type material. They wouldn't be very secure to leave in your driveway.

Yeah, this is why the contractor suggests a steel container. This is what we will go with.

Watchthemgrow - That is one of the things that is concerning me: The cleanliness/state of the inside of the container. I'm a little surprised that wood would pick up the odor...it's something I would expect more from upholstered stuff. Wondering if there is anything preventitive I could do....

WatchingThemGrow
04-22-2013, 08:15 AM
I think we'll try steel if we have to do it again (It looks like we might have to.) Which is he suggesting?

pinkmomagain
04-22-2013, 08:23 AM
I think we'll try steel if we have to do it again (It looks like we might have to.) Which is he suggesting?

I don't think it's a national company, I think it's a local company here in NY.

I wonder what the cost of a container is compared to moving everything to a storage place? I'm guessing the storage place is pricier...I'll need to hire movers either way, but I'm also guessing that actually moving my stuff to another location (rather than my driveway) would be more expensive too.

emily
04-22-2013, 11:34 AM
I don't think it's a national company, I think it's a local company here in NY.

I wonder what the cost of a container is compared to moving everything to a storage place? I'm guessing the storage place is pricier...I'll need to hire movers either way, but I'm also guessing that actually moving my stuff to another location (rather than my driveway) would be more expensive too.

Can I ask which he is recommending? We're moving next month and need to put everything in storage for a couple of months. I think POD or similar is more expensive then renting an actual storage place. We're opting to do a container, having it stored at their facility, then having them deliver the container to our new home (when we have one). For us, it's cheaper then having movers move our stuff to storage unit, then move it again to our new home, if that makes sense.

pinkmomagain
04-22-2013, 12:01 PM
Can I ask which he is recommending?

Cassone is the name I got for the steel containers.

emily
04-22-2013, 12:54 PM
Cassone is the name I got for the steel containers.

thanks.

cleo27
04-23-2013, 10:41 AM
We used 1-800-PACKRAT to store our entire house furnishings at their climate controlled warehouse for about 9 months, while our new home was being built and we lived with family. It was all metal. We had no issues with odors or any other problems. We put our own padlocks on the doors.

I'd whole heatedly recommend them. It was nice to load everything once, and then unload into the new home (rather than taking stuff to a storage unit.

Recently, I've seen these at the parking lot of a local Lowes, so maybe they are affiliated somehow?

hellokitty
04-23-2013, 10:48 AM
Wow, I had no idea that these pod units were wood! I have a friend who looked into a pod, but decide against it due to the price. I'm not sure what she ended up going with.

Momit
04-23-2013, 10:53 AM
We are moving with PODS right now. But they will be kept in a climate controlled warehouse until they are delivered at our destination. We liked the idea of load and unload once, rather than using a storage unit which doubles the work.

I wonder if the issues with odors, etc. are caused more by a container sitting out in heat, cold, moisture or whatever more than what the container is made out of.

I can't remember the storage cost per POD per month but it seemed reasonable and may be worth considering for your storage box, OP.

pinkmomagain
04-26-2013, 03:05 PM
OP -- here. Just wanted to say that the company with the steel containers said that they will not guarantee weather resistance and that residential clients have complained about water damage. I guess these containers are really meant for construction materials, etc. So I think we may be going with PODS after all.....

Tinkerbell313
04-26-2013, 03:31 PM
It looks like Lowes have partnered with PackRats. You may want to check into them with regards to portable storing. I have seen the portable storage units in our Lowes parking lots. I have never used Pods or Lowes...just giving another option :wink2:

http://www.1800packrat.com/Quote/quick

According to their website:
Experience the 1-800-PACK-RAT Difference

1-800-PACK-RAT offers industry-leading portable storage and moving solutions.

*PACK-RAT portable storage units are secure, all-steel and weather-proof
*Our state-of-the-art transportation system keeps the PACK-RAT unit level at all times
*Our warehouses are 100% dry and secure
*We schedule delivery at your convenience

pinkmomagain
04-26-2013, 03:34 PM
Yes, thank you, I've looked into packrats and it's about DOUBLE the price of PODs....for the same size units & just storing in my driveway. Don't know why the dramatic price difference.....

Momit
04-26-2013, 03:53 PM
I posted earlier about moving with PODS. They are not tarp like at all - it's a hard plastic shell on the outside. The floor is wood and the inside has either steel or wood support beams (we're on our 4th POD and have seen both types). We were quoted $170/month for climate controlled storage of one POD.

pinkmomagain
04-26-2013, 04:24 PM
I posted earlier about moving with PODS. They are not tarp like at all - it's a hard plastic shell on the outside. The floor is wood and the inside has either steel or wood support beams (we're on our 4th POD and have seen both types). We were quoted $170/month for climate controlled storage of one POD.

Hmmmm....maybe I should see how much more it would be to store the POD in one of their facilities. This eliminates weather and security issues. But does limit access.

OKKiddo
04-26-2013, 07:25 PM
We used ABF to move from Kansas to Virginia and it was a metal trailer. It worked out really well and I have to say it was very secure--you padlock it with these locking arms inside and the trailer has it's own lock on the outside.

WatchingThemGrow
04-26-2013, 07:39 PM
We are moving with PODS right now. But they will be kept in a climate controlled warehouse until they are delivered at our destination. We liked the idea of load and unload once, rather than using a storage unit which doubles the work.

I wonder if the issues with odors, etc. are caused more by a container sitting out in heat, cold, moisture or whatever more than what the container is made out of.

Our POD went to the climate controlled facility as the furniture was just a year or two old. Still not sure why one set smells weird and nothing else.. It's not the mattresses we wrapped in plastic, just the wood, just in one room..even after we moved it to another location .

I agree that it was totally convenient, though!!!