PDA

View Full Version : Bikes for adults - what type do I need?

mikeys_mom
04-21-2013, 10:42 PM
DH and I want to buy bikes but my head is spinning from all the choices. I've read a bunch of articles and still don't know what I really need.

Our needs/uses are pretty simple;

DH - Plans to bike to the subway daily (about 3 miles). This will be on regular paved roads some of which have bike lanes. He'll also do some longer bike rides with DS which I imagine will be mainly on roads but could also be on unpaved paths. Finally, shorter bike rides with the whole family.

Me - Mainly riding with the kids and DH. I will probably be pulling a double bike trailer with the twins. DD1 is still on training wheels and a very cautious biker so I'm not expecting to go very far or fast. It will probably be mainly on paved surfaces but I'd like the option for unpaved as well.

We want to buy used bikes. Clearly we aren't super serious cyclists but want something decent to fit our needs.

What types/features should we look for?

codex57
04-22-2013, 01:04 PM
You're looking for a hybrid or "comfort" bike. You don't need suspension.

For your DH, he should go cheaper. If he's biking to the subway and leaving it there, it'll almost certainly get stolen. Consider it a sunk cost.

If you can figure it out, for the derailleur, you want at least a Shimano Alivio. Preferably Deore. Avoid the Altus/Acera level if you can.

If your husband is bringing the bike with him all the way to the office and can completely secure it, then I'd go with a Deore level bike.

Brand doesn't really matter. I'd just google local bike shops and figure out which are the big brand names. Then, just go with one of them. Figure out what size bike you guys need first. That's way more important then brand. However, avoid the stuff you buy from Walmart, Target, Costco, etc.

And finally, cross check the prices you find on CL or wherever you're looking with bikesdirect.com and jensonusa.com But remember, unless you can do it yourself, you might have to pay a bike shop to assemble the bikes from the online places. Not that hard with the jensonusa bikes.

abh5e8
04-22-2013, 01:15 PM
for your twins, you might look into a wee-hoo or a tag-along type trailer. they can pedal some that way. even in a big double stroller, i think 4 four year olds would be pretty crowded (not to mention tough to pull).

dh and I bought bikes used from a rental shop in CO. (we also bought our car carrier and wee hoo from the same place) if you are near any areas with those options, i'd look there first. you can ride them and try them out and we got great deals. i ahve a path bike, which i love. its more of a cross between a mountain bike and a road bike. some of the comfort features of a beach cruiser but lots of gears.

mikeys_mom
04-22-2013, 01:59 PM
You're looking for a hybrid or "comfort" bike. You don't need suspension.

For your DH, he should go cheaper. If he's biking to the subway and leaving it there, it'll almost certainly get stolen. Consider it a sunk cost.

If you can figure it out, for the derailleur, you want at least a Shimano Alivio. Preferably Deore. Avoid the Altus/Acera level if you can.

If your husband is bringing the bike with him all the way to the office and can completely secure it, then I'd go with a Deore level bike.

Brand doesn't really matter. I'd just google local bike shops and figure out which are the big brand names. Then, just go with one of them. Figure out what size bike you guys need first. That's way more important then brand. However, avoid the stuff you buy from Walmart, Target, Costco, etc.

And finally, cross check the prices you find on CL or wherever you're looking with bikesdirect.com and jensonusa.com But remember, unless you can do it yourself, you might have to pay a bike shop to assemble the bikes from the online places. Not that hard with the jensonusa bikes.

Thanks for the detailed reply. That is super helpful.

In terms of leaving it at the subway, they have these bike lockers that the City manages which are supposedly pretty secure. You pay a monthly fee to the city and they give you a key, etc...There were some major issues with theft a few years ago and pple were reluctant to leave bikes at the subway so the city installed these lockers to encourage bike usage.

So is Deore a specific brand or a type of bike?
I did a search on Kijiji and lots of the descriptions include Deore/Alivio as various components on the bikes. So does the brand of the frame not matter as much?

We are in Canada so it's likely not worth it to order online because of the high shipping costs.

I know there is a high-end bike shop nearby. I guess we can go there and figure out size and what brands are big here.

Tondi G
04-22-2013, 02:11 PM
we bought this Haro bike for DS1 and it is SO nice. It is super comfy... nice seat, good handle height/placement. I don't have a bike myself .... just use DS's when I want to ride (or borrow from a neighbor if we all want to ride together as a family). I highly recommend this style/brand

http://www.gearbuyer.com/products/haro_heartland_sport_comfort_bike_unisex.html

http://www.wilsonscycle.com/haro_comfort.html

mikeys_mom
04-22-2013, 02:11 PM
for your twins, you might look into a wee-hoo or a tag-along type trailer. they can pedal some that way. even in a big double stroller, i think 4 four year olds would be pretty crowded (not to mention tough to pull).

This is the big issue we are having. DH thinks I'm nuts to consider pulling the two of them. But, my work schedule is much more flexible than DH's and I work from home, so potentially I can go riding with the 4 kids after camp more often than DH can. From what I've seen, the only option for 2 kids would be a double stroller like a Chariot. We rented one last year for a day and it was certainly not super easy but I was ok with them for short rides on flat surfaces. In terms of being crowded, I'll have to try them out and see how much they have grown since last year. Hmmm...that could be an issue.

I think it would really be overkill at this point for us to get a double plus two singles so I guess we'll have to see if we can make it work with a double. Otherwise, just get two of the wee-hoos and I'll have to wait for DH to be around to go out with all 4 kids.

mytwosons
04-22-2013, 03:16 PM
I found it very tiring to pull our trailer for any real distance.

I bought a hybrid bike and sometimes wish I had bought a regular road bike because the hybrid is so slow...If your husband is using it for commuting, I would suggest a regular road bike over a hybrid.

Piglet
04-22-2013, 03:37 PM
I don't know how much you want to spend, but MEC has nice bikes in Canada: http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cycling/Bikes.jsp

DH used to ride year round to work (about 10 miles one way) and he had a Kona Dew (commuter) bike. It was great for his needs. It did require regular maintenance just like a car (cleaning the chain, etc.). For a 3 mile ride, you don't need anything too fancy.

Have you thought about putting the twins on their own bikes with training wheels? We ride as a family and just let the kids go on their own bikes. First training wheels, then 2-wheels. DD goes on a Trail-A-Bike behind DH for longer rides. Last year we all rode a 10 mile ride!

My only caution, is to buy lightweight bikes. I won a cruiser bike (pretty, purple with a basket) and while I love it, it is a beast to ride due to how much it weighs.

codex57
04-22-2013, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the detailed reply. That is super helpful.

In terms of leaving it at the subway, they have these bike lockers that the City manages which are supposedly pretty secure. You pay a monthly fee to the city and they give you a key, etc...There were some major issues with theft a few years ago and pple were reluctant to leave bikes at the subway so the city installed these lockers to encourage bike usage.

So is Deore a specific brand or a type of bike?
I did a search on Kijiji and lots of the descriptions include Deore/Alivio as various components on the bikes. So does the brand of the frame not matter as much?

We are in Canada so it's likely not worth it to order online because of the high shipping costs.

I know there is a high-end bike shop nearby. I guess we can go there and figure out size and what brands are big here.

Hmm, I leave it up to you to decide whether the lockers are secure or not. If you think they are, that's a long enough commute that I'd go with a better bike (or bike parts).

A derailleur is a part/component of a bike. Kind of like the transmission for a car. It's what changes the gears on a bike. Nearly all decent bikes use Shimano. There are a couple other big companies, but they generally supply more expensive bikes. For mass market, it's pretty much Shimano. Now, Shimano has many different price points. For mountain/hybrid type bikes, for the cheaper ones, the derailleur models start at the Altus/Acera level. Alivio is next. Deore is where all the online bike enthusiasts will tell you is teh minimum. Price wise, it's noticeable. I have Alivio on mine. I can definitely tell the difference, but I think it's livable.

My Burley holds two, but it's a tight fit for a 3 and 5 yr old. Yes, it's real tiring to pull them any distance if there are hills involved. I'm pretty out of shape though. Our friends who are in much better shape can pull their trailer 10+ miles over the same area.

Road bikes start out much pricier than hybrids/mountain bikes. They're too light/delicate to pull a trailer though. But, if you are going any distance, that's the way to go. However, 3 miles really isn't a long distance at all. Don't really need a road bike for 3 miles. That's kinda like having a Ferrari but only needing to go a mile. You can feel it, but you reach the destination before the thing can even begin to stretch its legs.

MontrealMum
04-22-2013, 04:56 PM
I'd check out the Co-op and compare what you find there (pricewise) to a bike shop. Sometimes they're cheaper, sometimes not. For your DH I don't know that I'd spend all that much, but for you I think it might be worth it to get a nicer model - suspension, nice seat (can be bought after market), lighter frame. Everything counts when you're pulling a trailer! Are you always going to be on paved paths? If you're going to sometimes be on gravel or dirt you will be happy for the suspension :) You're also going to want gears if you're pulling so don't get a single gear bike.

Do you guys have the Bixi system? Or is that just us? It's well liked by commuters here.

Road bikes start out much pricier than hybrids/mountain bikes. They're too light/delicate to pull a trailer though.

DH has no trouble whatsoever pulling our trailer with his extremely light, custom built road bike. In fact, he prefers it to his mountain bike.

codex57
04-22-2013, 05:26 PM
DH has no trouble whatsoever pulling our trailer with his extremely light, custom built road bike. In fact, he prefers it to his mountain bike.

I'm gonna assume it's expensive, so likely better quality parts. Still, most people don't want to attach a trailer connector to their nice bikes. I mean, doesn't mean you can't do it. But if you search Youtube, there are people who go offroading with a Rolls Royce Phantom. You can, but most people don't.

MontrealMum
04-22-2013, 10:38 PM
I'm gonna assume it's expensive, so likely better quality parts. Still, most people don't want to attach a trailer connector to their nice bikes. I mean, doesn't mean you can't do it. But if you search Youtube, there are people who go offroading with a Rolls Royce Phantom. You can, but most people don't.

Do you actually own a Chariot like the OP does? I do. It doesn't attach directly to the frame like some. It's a ball hitch and has very little effect on the frame. All our cyclist friends are former or current racers. They all have very nice bikes and do not hesitate to use them to pull trailers. They consider this a bonus type of training ;)

Mind you, this has very little bearing on the OP's question as I doubt she or her DH are in the market for a bike in that price range. Saying she should buy a light frame doesn't mean she needs a racing class bike. It just means she should avoid Canadian Tire when shopping.

For the OP, I'd go with a hybrid and slick tires if you'll always be on pavement. Knobby tires can really add some resistance and you don't need them unless you'll be on dirt or gravel. If you're pulling two at a time you'll want to remove as much potential resistance as possible. Though if you're not going up many hills you won't notice the weight overly once you get started. It's not like using it XC skiing :) I rose DS home from preschool on a flat trail in the warmer months last year (he's too big now) and there wasn't much difference (in terms of effort on my part) between pulling the Chariot empty vs. occupied.

mikeys_mom
04-23-2013, 10:57 AM
Thanks everyone for all the advice. I think I have a better idea now of what we should be looking at.

Have you thought about putting the twins on their own bikes with training wheels? We ride as a family and just let the kids go on their own bikes. First training wheels, then 2-wheels. DD goes on a Trail-A-Bike behind DH for longer rides. Last year we all rode a 10 mile ride!

I wish we could put them on bikes with training wheels but they are such wimps on their tricycles that it would be a disaster. I just can't deal with all the whining that will result from trying to get them to ride any significant distance. Plus, DS is a really strong rider and if we go as a family he will certainly get annoyed that his sisters are slowing us down. They need one more year to gain some strength and stamina, I hope. Neat that you did a 10 mile ride! I think we are still a few years away from that. We did a 5km snowshoe trail this winter and that was a big challenge for my little two.

BTW - Nice to "see" you back here Marina :waving4:.

My Burley holds two, but it's a tight fit for a 3 and 5 yr old. Yes, it's real tiring to pull them any distance if there are hills involved. I'm pretty out of shape though. Our friends who are in much better shape can pull their trailer 10+ miles over the same area.

We are for sure staying away from hills for now. I'm in decent shape - run on the treadmill for 45 min 3 times a week, so I figure, I should be ok with towing on a flat surface. It will count as one of my workouts.

I'd check out the Co-op and compare what you find there (pricewise) to a bike shop. Sometimes they're cheaper, sometimes not. For your DH I don't know that I'd spend all that much, but for you I think it might be worth it to get a nicer model - suspension, nice seat (can be bought after market), lighter frame. Everything counts when you're pulling a trailer! Are you always going to be on paved paths? If you're going to sometimes be on gravel or dirt you will be happy for the suspension :) You're also going to want gears if you're pulling so don't get a single gear bike.

Do you guys have the Bixi system? Or is that just us? It's well liked by commuters here.

I think for now it will mostly be paved paths, especially since DD1 is still on training wheels and is a bit of a cautious rider. The last thing I need is her falling, scraping a knee and crying endlessly about it. Yes, I have wimpy girls. We are working on toughening them up :). I'm hoping by next year to not need the trailer anymore so maybe then we'd attempt gravel or dirt.

No Bixi system here, or if they do have it, it's only downtown, which doesn't really help. We've used it in Mtl - lots of fun. Toronto is a terrible city for commuting. We are in the northern suburbs and it takes DH forever to get downtown and he pays a fortune to park at a secure lot near the subway.

Good to hear that your DH has no problem with the trailer. I've hear so many stories of how difficult it is that it's encouraging to hear a positive report.

Saying she should buy a light frame doesn't mean she needs a racing class bike. It just means she should avoid Canadian Tire when shopping.

For the OP, I'd go with a hybrid and slick tires if you'll always be on pavement. Knobby tires can really add some resistance and you don't need them unless you'll be on dirt or gravel. If you're pulling two at a time you'll want to remove as much potential resistance as possible. Though if you're not going up many hills you won't notice the weight overly once you get started. It's not like using it XC skiing :) I rose DS home from preschool on a flat trail in the warmer months last year (he's too big now) and there wasn't much difference (in terms of effort on my part) between pulling the Chariot empty vs. occupied.

Gotcha on staying away from Cdn tire! I think I'll have DH check out MEC. It's not in a terribly convenient location for us so we rarely go there. I usually send him with a very specific list of things I need for the kids before the winter ski season.

The XC skiing example is exactly the argument I used with DH! It was a bit hard getting started but once I was moving it was fine because it glided so nicely! On several occasions I towed 2 kids at a time in the glider with no problem. Well, the kids were squished but I managed just fine. Makes sense that with the bike trailer I need to remove resistance.

codex57
04-23-2013, 01:53 PM
Do you actually own a Chariot like the OP does? I do. It doesn't attach directly to the frame like some. It's a ball hitch and has very little effect on the frame. All our cyclist friends are former or current racers. They all have very nice bikes and do not hesitate to use them to pull trailers. They consider this a bonus type of training ;)

Mind you, this has very little bearing on the OP's question as I doubt she or her DH are in the market for a bike in that price range. Saying she should buy a light frame doesn't mean she needs a racing class bike. It just means she should avoid Canadian Tire when shopping.

Nope, no Chariot. I think it's safe to say you'd know a lot more about them then me. I'm talking more in general (especially the cheaper trailers). You guys are in a stratosphere way beyond my budget, but are firmly in my dreams. :)

But yeah, I'm trying to respond based on OP's stated budget and goals. I mean, I can see a road bike doing all she wants and towing a trailer if it's like a cyclocross bike, but again, way outta her budget. Which is why I originally suggested a hybrid. Those can get cheap enough to be in her budget and why I mentioned the Shimano derailleurs I did instead of throwing out names like SRAM Red, Campo and the other road bike stuff. Wayyyy too pricey for OP.