PDA

View Full Version : A trip to the dentist exposed my bad mommy skills

fedoragirl
04-22-2013, 08:26 AM
DD is 3 and has 3 cavities! I am so bummed. We do everything to promote oral hygiene and now this. I am going to have to start using fluoridated toothpaste...I guess.
Also, the dentist took her x-rays which I was so against but I was so shocked about the cavities and didn't think to refuse getting the x rays. It's done now but I feel so bad. I am now more upset about the x-rays than the actual cavities.

hillview
04-22-2013, 02:25 PM
HUGS. Sorry. You are a GREAT mama. FWIW if my kid had cavaties I'd do the xrays for sure.

gatorsmom
04-22-2013, 02:32 PM
Don't feel too bad. It's really common. Both my oldest boys had 4 cavaties at their 4yr check up! The cavaties were in the same locations for both boys- between their tightly-placed molars. We brushed religiously and flossed as often as I could but the dentist said it just happens. :shrug: plus, some peos have teeth more prone to cavaties.

Just consider it a wake-up call that you'll have be more vigilant about brushing. Better to learn this now with the baby teeth than the adult teeth!

todzwife
04-22-2013, 02:33 PM
Don't feel too bad...my 7 year old has 6- and her dad is a dentist!! Sometimes genetics are stronger than toothpaste and floss.

JElaineB
04-22-2013, 03:12 PM
One word...xylitol.

fedoragirl
04-22-2013, 03:55 PM
Thank you all. We use xylitol (fluoride free) toothpaste, candy, gum...everything. I don't cook with it because it's so expensive. She eats 1-2 candy/chocolate a week...maybe. We don't do juice at all. So, I am really sad that this happened. I got my first cavity after DD was born! My mother won't let me hear the end of this.
Anyhoo, is there a youtube video or web site where I can learn how to floss my 3 yr. old's teeth? I could barely manage to get in her mouth today.

Ceepa
04-22-2013, 04:03 PM
Some kids are predisposed to cavities so you can do a lot and still run into dental problems. It sucks.

Momit
04-22-2013, 04:14 PM
My dentist has mentioned that some people are more prone to cavities because their saliva is more acidic, and others are prone to tartar buildup because their saliva is more basic. I have not researched/verified but thought it was interesting - she mentioned it during my last cleaning.

Do you do the fluoride/vitamin D tablets for your kids? We used those when we were in Germany because the water was not fluoridated. I know people have different views on fluoride but we went ahead and did it.

I got the Dentek flossers for DS and am still learning to use them. I know real string floss is better because you can get under the gumline but I'm just trying to get the basics for now. And we have a Sonicare brush.

smilequeen
04-22-2013, 04:25 PM
Don't beat yourself up. There are a lot of reasons that kids can get cavities and not all of them are preventable. Look at the habits, diet, etc. but don't discount genetics either.

And the x-rays? If she has cavities she needed them. It would be negligent to refuse them in this case. Is she getting fillings? Would you let a physician set a broken arm without an x-ray to see exactly what was up? The dentist shouldn't be making decisions about her treatment without the whole picture either. And if she's prone to cavities, she could have had some in areas you need an x-ray to see (between the teeth). X-rays have a purpose and this is it.

Pear
04-22-2013, 04:59 PM
We have always been diligent about dental care. DD has still had to have massive dental work under ga and we take her to the dentist every 3 months so cavities don't get too far. Sometimes you do everything you an and your kid just had bad teeth. My dad and sister had similar dental problems so we are pretty sure it is genetic. The only thing I feel bad about is that we has ha to hold her down screaming while the dentist works sometimes. We can't risk GA for every dental exam and it just has to get done.

MSWR0319
04-22-2013, 07:10 PM
My dentist has mentioned that some people are more prone to cavities because their saliva is more acidic, and others are prone to tartar buildup because their saliva is more basic. I have not researched/verified but thought it was interesting - she mentioned it during my last cleaning.

Do you do the fluoride/vitamin D tablets for your kids? We used those when we were in Germany because the water was not fluoridated. I know people have different views on fluoride but we went ahead and did it.

I got the Dentek flossers for DS and am still learning to use them. I know real string floss is better because you can get under the gumline but I'm just trying to get the basics for now. And we have a Sonicare brush.

This is interesting. My last dentist trip revealed 4 cavities. I was horrified. I've never had problems like that. I thought I was actually flossing well because the tarter I get under the retainer glued to my front teeth was not there this time. Since that visit I've stopped nursing and the tarter is back even though my flossing habits haven't changed. I'm thinking the saliva must have changed while I was pregnant and nursing.

Katigre
04-22-2013, 07:16 PM
One thing to consider is how frequently she eats and drinks. I believe this is a major contributing factor to the increase of cavities today.

Kids today tend ti snack and graze and also have a sippy cup available at all times. Even just water, sipped ask day long, disrupts the natural ph of the mouth and if you add in lots of snacking (going 3ish hours between eating is healthier for teeth) that can make for cavities.

I also agree not to worry about the X rays. They were warranted because she had decay.

Sent from my Android phone using Swype

ShanaMama
04-22-2013, 08:25 PM
I took DD1 for her first dental visit @ age 3 'just to get to know the dentist'. Well she had *5* cavities! Ya so please don't feel bad. It's been a long road with her & she's had more filling than I can keep track of. I inally accepted that she has bad teeth & thats that. We currently have a routine of brushing, flossing & rinsing with fluoride rinse every single night. When we are vigilant, it shows. She just went for a 6 month check and had no cavities. She is so so proud of herself!
By the way her sister does not have the same issue and we don't eat a crazy amount of sweets. I am convinced its her (father's ;) ) genes.

sweetsue98
04-22-2013, 10:39 PM
One thing to consider is how frequently she eats and drinks. I believe this is a major contributing factor to the increase of cavities today.

Kids today tend ti snack and graze and also have a sippy cup available at all times. Even just water, sipped ask day long, disrupts the natural ph of the mouth and if you add in lots of snacking (going 3ish hours between eating is healthier for teeth) that can make for cavities.

I also agree not to worry about the X rays. They were warranted because she had decay.

Sent from my Android phone using Swype

:yeahthat: this is very true. You mouth is under an acid attack for about 15 minutes after you eat.

Nooknookmom
04-22-2013, 11:44 PM
Don't feel too bad...my 7 year old has 6- and her dad is a dentist!! Sometimes genetics are stronger than toothpaste and floss.

This makes ME feel better about myself!! As I have always brushed, flossed, fluoridated, water-pik'd, etc and I have a mouthful of fillings and crowns :(. Broke my first tooth at 4 and I had many fillings starting at age 4 also :( I am not fond of the dentist....

DD1 who is 17 has never had a filling, so far but she has just been told to pay extra care to her rear molars as they are "sticky" when picked at.

DD2 refused to even sit in the chair (long story about a bad ER visit and she is scared of dr's now), but the school dentist looked inside and she's ok...phew!

essnce629
04-22-2013, 11:51 PM

Yes to this as well.

Is your family vegetarian/vegan or does she eat a lot of carbs? Carbs turn to sugar so eating lots of snacks like crackers, sugary fruits, etc can cause issues. My best friend is a vegetarian and has had lots of problem with her teeth and when I asked my dentist about it she said it's because vegetarians eat a more carb-heavy diet usually. Lacking in vitamin K2 can cause issues too. Grass fed butter and meat is a great source of vitamin K2 which is why so many vegans end up with dental issues when avoiding both meat and dairy.

bigsis
04-23-2013, 12:26 AM
Don't beat yourself up. Like another PP, I have a dentist who told me that genetics plays a big part in one's dental health. He told me he brushes and flosses 3x a day and still has all the same work on him done that everybody else gets. On the other hand, some ppl barely take care of their teeth and hardly get cavities.

I know that I have, at times, been negligent with my kids' dental hygiene, but they've never had cavities. Now, that's all genes, NOT good parenting. (((sigh))) They didn't get those genes from me, as I have had so many root canals. Grrr!!!

fedoragirl
04-23-2013, 01:32 AM
Thanks all. Your experiences make me feel better and I'll have to learn to let it go. We don't snack much at all. My kids don't eat very well at mealtimes so I have never given them a snack. DD gets a snack for preschool now since they asked for it. She doesn't need it but I don't want her to feel left out. She is so proud of her lunchbox.
We do eat tons of fruits and veggies. I usually give them xylitol candy right after but I have not been good about that. The kids love milk in straw cups and they have that twice a day but do carry them around after mealtimes. I'll have to stop that.
The dentist told me to continue with Spry fluoride free and give fluoride supplements since that's what our ped. had already given us at her 3 year appt. I just never gave them to her.
Her dad has terrible teeth. However, the dentist told me that DD's cavities were from eating too many sugary things and not because of genes. Oh well!.
As for the x-rays, I am not upset that she got them at all. I was told ahead of time she would need them to check the well-being of her teeth. It was that she had an oversize apron on her which barely covered her. I kept pulling the thing back to cover her chest and her throat was completely exposed. And I have thyroid issues, so I am very sensitive to this.
Well, it's done. We just have to up our dental routine.