PDA

View Full Version : What size bikes for 4.5 and 6.5 yr. old?

ang79
04-22-2013, 08:50 AM
Now that its getting nice out, I'd like to find the girls some bikes to learn how to ride. Both are average for height and skinny. DD1 will be 7 in Sept., DD2 will be 5 in Nov. What sizes should I be looking for? I figure little kid bikes don't get tons of use before they outgrow them, so I'll be checking out yardsales and craigslist for good deals.

katydid1971
04-22-2013, 11:21 AM
Average sized kids I would get 16 in and 20 in bikes.

sariana
04-22-2013, 11:39 AM
Many bike specialty stores have web sites with links to help you choose the right size. DD turned 5 in January, and I was surprised when my research led me to choose a 20" bike for her. She is slightly smaller than average height for her age. Since Santa brought her a 20", he had to bring 8-year-old DS 24" so that his bike would not be smaller than his sister's!

Or just Google "what size bike for children" to find charts with guidelines.

Snow mom
04-22-2013, 01:51 PM
With or without training wheels? Do they feel comfortable/confident on a bike? My short to average 4.5 year old fits on a 16" bike but it's so much heavier than her balance bike and she doesn't like it. I got her a 12" bike and she likes that better than the 16". She'll outgrow it more quickly but I don't mind because I can resell it for more than I paid.

ang79
04-22-2013, 02:33 PM
With or without training wheels? Do they feel comfortable/confident on a bike? My short to average 4.5 year old fits on a 16" bike but it's so much heavier than her balance bike and she doesn't like it. I got her a 12" bike and she likes that better than the 16". She'll outgrow it more quickly but I don't mind because I can resell it for more than I paid.

Will need trainers to learn on, up til now they haven't been very interested in bikes other than the big wheeled tricycles they have. Maybe I should take them to a store to try out some bikes to get a better idea.

Binkandabee
04-22-2013, 02:42 PM
That's tough because right now they would probably need a 12 inch and a 20 inch....but next year, they will need a 16 inch and a 24 inch.

DD#2 is 4.5 and tall for her age and she's riding on a 12 inch bike. She was riding the same bike last year, so I really thought she'd be ready for a 16 inch this year, but she feels very steady and secure on the 12 inch, so she's keeping it for another year.

When DD#1 was ready to upgrade from her 16 inch I was shocked when she was ready for a 24 inch at 8 years old. It would have been a complete waste to get her a 20 inch bike.

newg
04-22-2013, 09:14 PM
DD1 turned 5 in Feb. is ~44'' tall and has been riding her 20'' since last summer. We were in a bike shop and just asked a sales person and he said it's a waste to start any lower (unless not tall enough). We got DD1's bike at Wal-Mart and it came with training wheels.