PDA

View Full Version : Ugh... rock hit my windshield and now I have a crack

mommylamb
04-22-2013, 09:11 AM
This morning, while driving on the beltway, a rock flipped up and hit my windshield and now I have a crack there. I should call my insurance company before getting it fixed, right? This hasn't happened to me before, but I think this is something that car insurance covers without a big deal, right? I know I've seen ads from a company that comes out and repairs these things, but for the life of me, I can't remember what the company is. Does anyone know? It's not a big crack, just a small star-shaped thing on the drivers side, but I want to fix it before it grows.

KrystalS
04-22-2013, 09:23 AM
My insurance pays for small chips or cracks. IIRC the repair company told me as long as it is smaller than a dollar bill they can repair it without replacing the windshield.

mommylamb
04-22-2013, 09:26 AM
Did you call your insurance first to find out if there are companies that they work with?

ett
04-22-2013, 09:26 AM
http://www.jnphillips.com/

That's who we used and our car insurance covered it completely without raising our rates. I'm not sure I even had to call the insurance company first; I think I just gave the repair company the insurance info and they took care of it. They come to you too so very convenient.

maybeebaby08
04-22-2013, 09:36 AM
It depends if you have glass coverage, if you do it's covered 100%. Call your insurance company they'll connect you with a repair guy. They can come right to your house/ work and repair it. It's pretty easy.

123LuckyMom
04-22-2013, 09:37 AM
Just call your insurance agent. They'll refer you to whoever does this work in your area-- or look in the yellow pages. We live where there are lots of dirt roads. On my last car, I had the windshield replaced three times!!! If the crack is small, they'll repair it. If it's in the driver's view zone and larger than a quarter, they'll replace the whole thing.

TwoBees
04-22-2013, 09:40 AM
Safelight advertises a lot in my area that they come to you to fix window/windshield cracks.

ETA: Sorry, it's Safelite

http://www.safelite.com/

KLD313
04-22-2013, 09:40 AM
You may be thinking of Safelite. We just used them last week but we had to call insurance first. Satellite was their preferred repair place.

pinkmomagain
04-22-2013, 10:24 AM
This happened last year to us on our not too old BMW. We were suprised that theBMW dealership was the same price as Safelite and we felt better doing it at the dealership.

marymoo86
04-22-2013, 10:29 AM
You may be thinking of Safelite. We just used them last week but we had to call insurance first. Satellite was their preferred repair place.

:yeahthat:

What is nice at least in our area is that it is mobile and they will come to your place of work if possible and do the repair in the parking lot/garage. Super easy.

egoldber
04-22-2013, 10:30 AM
BTDT. The Beltway stinks.

Insurance paid for mine after the deductible. I needed a total replacement.

niccig
04-22-2013, 11:40 AM
Our insurance wouldn't cover a chip. I found a local guy on yelp with better reviews than safelite and it was 3/4 the cost. There were a couple of other smaller chips that he filled for free.

Do it sooner rather than later. I left mine for months and that meant dirt got in there so the repair is a little more obvious than it otherwise would have been. Both places told me that up front. They were also surprised it hadn't gotten bigger over time, as that usually happens.

kellij
04-22-2013, 11:49 AM
You need to look in the phone book under glass and you'll find lots of places that replace or repair windshields. They will look at the chip and tell you if you can repair, or if you have to replace. The cost will depend on the kind of car you have. I had my honda ody window replaced and it was something like 150. To get a lexus window replaced it was going to be 1000. Insurance coverage depends on your insurance and also you should consider if you have to pay a deductible if it's worth it.

mommylamb
04-22-2013, 11:50 AM
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I called insurance and we are covered with no deductible requirement for the repair (we would have to pay the deductible if for some reason it needs to be replaced, but the chip is small so I don't think that will be the case). The guy is coming out tomorrow.

At least this was an easy thing to deal with. I just feel like there is so much little sh*t and it's so hard to stay on top of everything. Feeling overwhelmed.

georgiegirl
04-22-2013, 11:50 AM
Mine had to be replaced and it was the same price as my deductible. If it were just a chip, it would have been a $50 deductible.