PDA

View Full Version : Where to find labels that don't fall off storage totes

melwe
04-22-2013, 03:59 PM
DH has started organizing our basement!! :yay: However that means, I have to organize my stuff as well.

I have many of the Rubbermaid storage totes with old clothes, new clothes, etc. It seems like all my labels eventually fall off, and I was wondering what everyone uses?

I've seen people just use Sharpies to label the totes. However, I will usually re-purpose them later after I've donated or sold stuff, so I really don't want to keep crossing out words. Thanks for any suggestions!

hillview
04-22-2013, 04:01 PM
I've had luck (2 years and counting) with the brother labeler labels. P-touch kind.

happymom
04-22-2013, 04:15 PM
Well since I use clear totes, I just write the infortmation on a piece of printer paper and then stick it inside the bin against the side so you can see it from the outside. Your bins aren't clear I assume?

katydid1971
04-22-2013, 05:40 PM
I've had luck (2 years and counting) with the brother labeler labels. P-touch kind.

:yeahthat: (But mine is like 8 years old)

infomama
04-22-2013, 05:56 PM
We write on duct tape

vludmilla
04-22-2013, 06:52 PM
Well since I use clear totes, I just write the infortmation on a piece of printer paper and then stick it inside the bin against the side so you can see it from the outside. Your bins aren't clear I assume?

This is what I do. It works well. Sometimes I put paper inside on multiple sides.

edurnemk
04-22-2013, 07:24 PM
I've seen people just use Sharpies to label the totes. However, I will usually re-purpose them later after I've donated or sold stuff, so I really don't want to keep crossing out words. Thanks for any suggestions!

you can erase the sharpie with rubbing alcohol, FWIW. I also do the clear bin with paper sign inside.

abh5e8
04-22-2013, 07:48 PM
i've used the printer labels (avery is the brand, i just make them in MS word) but seems like sometimes they do fall off. so now i just use masking tape and sharpie. its not pretty at all, but seems to stay on better. also, make usre the plastic bins are not dusty, or even the tape won't fit very well.

melwe
04-22-2013, 10:42 PM
Great idea for the clear totes. I do have some, but usually I just buy what is on sale. I'll probably try to stick with those in the future.

I just checked and some labels that I placed and then put packing tape over are still attached. I think our last basement was dustier or more damp and nothing ever stayed on. :(

gatorsmom
04-22-2013, 10:48 PM

I jusT use scraps of paper on the inside if the bin to say what's in there.

For my opaque bins, I put a big piece of masking tape across the outside and then write on that. I rip it off when I use it for something else.

mikala
04-22-2013, 11:04 PM
I use blue painters tape.

mommytotwo
05-26-2013, 05:10 PM
If the labels do not stick, I just cover it with clear shipping tape and it works well.

willow33
05-26-2013, 06:39 PM
We write on duct tape

We do the same and the labels never fall off.

acmom
05-26-2013, 09:09 PM
I do an index card with clear packing tape over it.