PDA

View Full Version : Update in OP: Neighbor WWYD?

ahisma
04-22-2013, 05:28 PM
Update: He just came by and apologized for his poor driving and horrible response. DH and I think he told his wife what happened, LOL. Anyway, he's changing how he backs out of his driveway, apparently he goes just past the house and guns it, thinking he has a narrow window of opportunity. Um...no! If he can't see 2 boys and 2 adults on scooters he has no business gunning it. He's also removing some bushes to increase his visibility. I'm still ticked, but also impressed that he came by and ate crow. Seems like a decent guy overall, who just reacted exceptionally poorly in this situation. Either way, my goal was to convince him to be mare careful backing out so I'm satisfied. I'm still not letting the boys go past his driveway without and adult or DD (teenager) with them.

We live on a residential street in an neighborhood full of old homes, close together. It is a family block with kids constantly playing in (small) yards and on the sidewalks.

DS1 (6yo), DS2 (4yo), DH and I were headed out on a scooter ride this afternoon. The boys were probably 3-4 feet ahead of us. They are well versed in scooter safety, very respectful of cars, driveways, etc. We were going at a decent speed, but nothing that felt unsafe. In fact, an older (very safety conscious) woman had just stopped us to complement the boys on their scooter safety and to note that she always sees them being conscious of vehicles, etc. They always ride on the sidewalk, NEVER in the road, etc.

Moments later, DS2 was almost hit. A car came down a blind driveway very fast. DH and I both saw it fully and yelled to get DS2 to stop (he already was) and to alert the driver. DS2 threw his scooter aside and wiped out to stop, ending with half of his torso under the car. As soon as DH pulled him out the guy drove away!

When we came home, the driver was just arriving home. I walked up his driveway to talk to him. From his reaction (driving off without saying a word) I assumed that maybe he didn't see how close of a call it was. DS2 is tiny and truly could have died had he not leaped off the scooter. To make a long story short, the guy didn't give a damn. I wound up getting pretty ticked, he has two toddlers and I was appalled at his lack of caring. He didn't even apologize, just said that kids don't belong on sidewalks. DH (stereotypical softspoken English teacher) came up and tried to help, he couldn't get anywhere either. We were both shocked.

IMO - yes, it is our job as parents to teach children to be watchful of driveways, etc. It is our children's job to follow those rules. BUT, drivers carry the bulk of the burden of watching for playing children, at the very minimum not speeding down a blind driveway.

I feel like I should address this further. I'm still LIVID though, and shaky. I'm pretty laid back about kid accidents, but seeing this I truly feel like DS was mere seconds away from getting crushed. WWYD?

Mermanaid
04-22-2013, 05:34 PM
I'd be scared to death! That said ... I would drop it. You have already tried to address him and approaching him again could turn into a scene you don't want to be in. I would share the incident with my other neighbors though as a precautionary tale.

I'm so glad your DS is okay!

crl
04-22-2013, 05:36 PM
I'd be scared to death! That said ... I would drop it. You have already tried to address him and approaching him again could turn into a scene you don't want to be in. I would share the incident with my other neighbors though as a precautionary tale.

I'm so glad your DS is okay!

:yeahthat:

Catherine

AngB
04-22-2013, 05:36 PM
Wow.
So glad the kids are ok.
I really don't know what more you can do, that would help, though.
Maybe someone else will have a suggestion.
What a jerk!
:hug:

pinkmomagain
04-22-2013, 05:38 PM
So glad your ds is OK. That must have been so scary for everyone.

As far as your question - WWYD - I don't think there is anything more you can say to this guy. Sounds like an idiot, but at least you now know you have an idiot for a neighbor and that the kids have to be especially vigillant when passing this guy's house. Wish he responded better. Even though he didn't, maybe he is the defensive type, and while he didn't say what you wanted him to, maybe he will be more cautious in the future.

Binkandabee
I would drop it. You're not going to get anywhere with this man. I'm sorry you had to experience such selfishness from him after witnessing what could have ended up as a tragedy to your family.

If it's a blind driveway, I would have your DS physically stop before crossing anytime in the future.

sste
Isn't that a hit and run? And while speeding? I would be thinking about the pros and cons of filing a police report.

Kids don't belong on sidewalks? My blood is boiling for you!!

elliput
04-22-2013, 05:45 PM
:hug: I'm glad your DS is okay.

He said "kids don't belong on sidewalks"? WTF? He's a crude word for penis. I have no idea what I would do other than make sure my kids were very cautious if they pass his driveway.

I hope that he starts to pay attention or else he will hit a kid someday.

ahisma
04-22-2013, 05:50 PM
Isn't that a hit and run? And while speeding? I would be thinking about the pros and cons of filing a police report.

Kids don't belong on sidewalks? My blood is boiling for you!!

He didn't actually hit DS so I don't think the police could get involved. He actually had the b*lls to tell me that I was out of line for walking up his driveway to talk to him. He's new-ish on the block (2 years) and we don't know them at all - but it is definitely not odd in our neighborhood for a neighbor to walk up the driveway. When I approached him I was under the assumption that from the car he couldn't have known how scary it was. Seems I was wrong.

ahisma
04-22-2013, 05:52 PM
If it's a blind driveway, I would have your DS physically stop before crossing anytime in the future.

We have a new rule now, they aren't allowed to go past the house before his. It's crappy, but there's no way I'm taking a chance. At the speed he was going I'm not sure that DH or I could have reacted any better than DS2 did. We're lucky it was him and not DS1, DS2 has faster reflexes than any of us.

sste
04-22-2013, 05:54 PM
What an &ss. Well I would bad mouth him far and wide in the neighborhood with this story. Both for my own satisfaction and as a safety warning to other families about this wierdo!!

MMMommy
04-22-2013, 05:55 PM
Isn't that something worthy of a police report because your DS's torso was under the car? I'm not sure you want to go that route because he is your neighbor, but it sounds like more to me than just a "near miss" of an accident. The fact that he was under the car sounds more serious to me.

I'm sorry this happened and even more sorry that this guy is a jerk.

AngB
04-22-2013, 05:58 PM
What an &ss. Well I would bad mouth him far and wide in the neighborhood with this story. Both for my own satisfaction and as a safety warning to other families about this wierdo!!

Definitely this and I would go ahead and call your police non-emergency # and see what they say, if you think you would file a report against him if you could..

infomama
04-22-2013, 06:19 PM
I'm glad your little guys okay.I don't think that calling the police at this point is going to do anything besides start a war. The way I see it some people are inherently dangerous.. he is one of them. I would just be extremely cautious around him/ his driveway.

Binkandabee
04-22-2013, 06:30 PM
Great update! I bet you are right that he told the story to his wife, who made him go and apologize. I'm sure she was mortified of his response. Regardless, he's going to be more careful and that's the best result possible for everyone in the neighborhood.

And I don't blame you one bit for remaining cautious around his driveway. Just because he says he's going to do something, doesn't mean he actually will.

AngB
04-22-2013, 06:34 PM
Great update, under the circumstances.

crl
04-22-2013, 06:45 PM
It's really great that he came to apologize. I hope he follows through with improved visibility and caution.

Catherine

khm
04-22-2013, 06:48 PM
I'm glad he came by and apologized AND is taking actions to improve the situation. What a relief.

I wondered if he was just..... super defensive and not really allowing himself to..... absorb how close the call really was. I have people like that in my life. It is maddening. But, it's like their brains cannot accept such terrible news, so they pull out their inner 4 year old and say "Nah nah nah, didn't happen! I know you are, but what am I!"

LizLemon
04-22-2013, 09:43 PM
I'm glad he came by and apologized AND is taking actions to improve the situation. What a relief.

I wondered if he was just..... super defensive and not really allowing himself to..... absorb how close the call really was. I have people like that in my life. It is maddening. But, it's like their brains cannot accept such terrible news, so they pull out their inner 4 year old and say "Nah nah nah, didn't happen! I know you are, but what am I!"

:yeahthat:

I was wondering if he was defensive and mortified about the whole situation, such that he had a horrible response when you came to talk to him about it. Sounds encouraging that at some point he was able to come up to you, own up to it, and suggest solutions.

Nonetheless, it sounds like a terrifying situation and I'm glad you are all okay!