PDA

View Full Version : Updated: Quick help - Diva Cup questions - TMI alert

firstbaby
04-23-2013, 08:06 AM
The race went fantastic and AF didn't start until after the race- a total shocker! I set a PR and took 14 minutes off my last half, so I'm very happy :). Thank you for all the advice. The cup arrived Thursday and I'm going to give it a try this cycle :)

I have a half marathon coming up on Saturday and despite my best planning, it looks like AF will arrive sometime before the race. I just ordered the Diva Cup to try and circumvent needing to stop on the course for a quick change, but I'm nervous because I've never used it before. Can you all help me with some questions:

How much of a learning curve is there to using it?

Has anyone run a longer distance with one on a heavy flow day? Usually on the first few days, I need to change every hour and a half to two hours and will wear a tampon and pad just in case.

If you are a runner and have used it, do you notice it while running?

Any other tips or advice?

I am just beside myself. My cycles have been sooo regular and I picked this race specifically because it should have been 9+ days after AF would start, but looks like my body has other ideas. I had a bad race last spring when I needed to make a long stop dealing with AF and it was hard for me emotionally when my months of training didn't pay off. Really hoping the Diva Cup is the answer! TIA!

wellyes
04-23-2013, 09:03 AM
As long as it isnt' your first day using it, I'm sure you'll have it figured out by then. It's pretty easy to use.

But, I don't think you can use a tampon and a diva cup comfortably together at the same time. They occupy the same space. You can make the cup slightly shorter without impacting function by wearing it inside-out, but, I don't know if that is a good idea with a heavier flow, because the lip to prevent spilling is designed to be used right-side-out.

My guess is that a diva cup plus heavy pad may be a great option for you. I'd give it a trial day or two before the race. BUT, if it seems like you will need to make a change mid-race, I would not use the diva cup for it, because trying to remove it, empty and reinsert it with (sorry) bloody fingers is not something I'd want to attempt with a time limit. Especially if it'd be in a porta potty.

mommylamb
04-23-2013, 09:43 AM
I'm sorry. That is sucky timing.

I've been using a menstrual cup (the Diva and the Keeper before that) for over 15 years now, so it's hard to remember if it was difficult to do in the beginning. I will say that I find it really easy. Practice putting it in so that you can do so comfortably. If it's not in right, it won't feel right from my experience.

How heavy do you think you'll be on the day of the race? For me, on most days, I easily go a full 12 hours without changing it, but on those very heavy days, I sometimes have to empty it a few extra times, and I'll wear a panty liner just in case it overflows a little.

hellokitty
04-23-2013, 09:52 AM
This may sound weird, but I would start to, "practice" using it before your AF comes, if your diva cup arrives early. My biggest advice to you is to make sure that the cup is a, "C" shape when you insert it and that it pops open when it is in. If it doesn't pop open, then I would take it out and try again, otherwise, you are not going to get a good seal. How heavy is your flow? My biggest concern with a marathon is if you need to empty it mid-way... you don't want to take it out and insert it without washing your hands with soap and water, kwim? If your flow isn't an issue and you don't forsee yourself having to change it during the run, then you will be fine.

firstbaby
04-23-2013, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the input so far. Wellyes, thanks for clarifying - I was thinking I would use the diva cup in place of a tampon and am hoping between the diva cup and pad I can make it three hours between waiting for the race to start, running it and finally getting changed. Does it come with good directions for inserting or is there somewhere on line I should read up?

Any one run with one that can tell me more about how noticeable it is and any successful long runs? I'm thinking I will have a tampon tucked in my shorts just in case the cup doesn't work out during the race and I need to change up.

hellokitty
04-23-2013, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the input so far. Wellyes, thanks for clarifying - I was thinking I would use the diva cup in place of a tampon and am hoping between the diva cup and pad I can make it three hours between waiting for the race to start, running it and finally getting changed. Does it come with good directions for inserting or is there somewhere on line I should read up?

Any one run with one that can tell me more about how noticeable it is and any successful long runs? I'm thinking I will have a tampon tucked in my shorts just in case the cup doesn't work out during the race and I need to change up.

I have only run 5K's with my diva cup and it was fine. If it is inserted properly, you won't even really feel it.

almostmom
04-23-2013, 10:10 AM
I just want to reitterate the practice comments. I bought a Diva cup a few years ago, and I have never gotten the hang of it. For some reason, it has never stayed put. Even with the seal, because I wasn't leaking or anything, it always felt too low and a little uncomfortable. And my canal (or whatever) isn't really short or anything. And I worked to get it as high as I could! So just know that it doesn't work for everyone.

When I did use it for a few cycles in a row, it got a little better, but it has never felt perfect for me. I can't imagine running with it, though I know so many swear by them!

I guess what I'm saying is, there definitely can be a learning curve, and they don't work for everyone. You'll just have to try it and see.

okinawama
04-23-2013, 10:19 AM
It did take me a few cycles to really feel comfortable using the Diva cup, but I think I'm in the minority. I actually can feel mine in, I know that most people say that when it's inserted correctly, you can't feel a thing. I haven't found that to be the case for me personally ( I have tried two different cups, two different sizes in each cup, different folds, inserting it in different positions....). It's not uncomfortable in any way, but I without a doubt know it's in there.

The longest I've run with mine in was about 7 miles ( but I'll let you know how my run on Friday goes, it's 9 miles). I had to make sure that the stem was cut very close to the actual cup because after a few miles, I can feel the stem rubbing against my underwear. I don't notice the stem at all when walking around, but for some reason, running I notice it. Even with a heavier flow, I think you'd be fine for the 2-3hours while you run the half marathon. I'd try and put it in shortly before the race, and then check for leaking after the race.

hellokitty
04-23-2013, 10:57 AM
Yes, definitely trim down the stem! That helps a lot.

firstbaby
04-23-2013, 12:02 PM
Thank you all so much for your input. I ordered off of Amazon so will have it by Thursday. Is there a B&M that sells them? Now I'm thinking if I start AF today / tomorrow I won't have much time to practice. I got the post-childbirth model 2. That is the right one for after kids and over 30, right?

BabbyO
04-23-2013, 12:45 PM
Well, I'm sorta in a similar position because I have a feeling I'll have AF while I do my half marathon in a few weeks. So far I haven't really run with my cup. I will say that I have a different brand. I've had it for about 5 cycles and some days I have NO problem with it and envision it being totally fine for running, but some days I just can't get the darn thing to not slip regardless of the seal, etc. I feel like I'd be find if it were the 3rd or 4th day of my flow or really early on the 1st day, but I have to empty my cup every 1.5 - 2 hrs on my heaviest days and always wear a pad as backup (though usually I don't have to change my pad that frequently).

I will say that if I'm just wearing a pad, I'm changing every hour for sure with the same flow.

If it were me, I'd practice using it and get comfortable with it. If your not comfortable...go with the tampon and pad because you know what to expect.

A wise runner once told me - don't change ANYTHING on race day and I've found it to be very wise indeed. I'd caution on the side of the expected rather than the unexpected.

FWIW - emptying the cup in a porta potty can be tricky.

hellokitty
04-23-2013, 12:47 PM
Thank you all so much for your input. I ordered off of Amazon so will have it by Thursday. Is there a B&M that sells them? Now I'm thinking if I start AF today / tomorrow I won't have much time to practice. I got the post-childbirth model 2. That is the right one for after kids and over 30, right?

Yes, you got the correct model! Good luck with it. There is a little bit of a learning curve, but I'm hoping everything will work out for you and good luck with your half marathon!

indigo99
04-23-2013, 09:50 PM
Well I REALLY hope you have better luck with the Diva than I did. I got the model 2 as well, and it was just too big for me. Of course I didn't know that was the reason that it just wouldn't work. It was really painful for me to remove though, and I couldn't get it positioned correctly. I cut the stem off completely, but it was still going past the opening to my vagina and pushing on the bottom wall - that's how large it was.

I bought a medium sized meluna which is working much better. I also got a large si bell which is very comfortable, and I'm hoping to be able to use it on my heavy days. Even though it's large, it's really soft so it's much more flexible than the diva. I've only tried using the two new cups for one cycle, and I'm still getting than hang of putting them in the right position not to leak. However, I probably just have a tricky cervix.

What I know now is that my cervix comes down during my period so it's not too far inside my vagina, and long cups like the diva won't work for me. It is also kind of on the front wall of my vagina and points down so I have to push the cup in and then turn it to face up. What helped me was to use my fingers to locate my cervix in the first place (I'd never done that). Then when I insert the cup, I have to reach in and be sure that the cup is actually covering my cervix and not going past it.

I found a very informative site: menstrual cups live journal. (http://menstrual-cups.livejournal.com/tag/faq)

firstbaby
04-24-2013, 10:33 AM
Thanks, again, everyone. I am really hoping I can practice a little when it arrives tomorrow.

Like a PP stated, don't change anything on race day :) I think about what I will eat the night before and the morning of a race and try it out before my training long runs to make sure it doesn't upset my stomach, pick out a couple of outfits that are tried and true so no surprises there, etc. I wouldn't normally consider trying this but if it can mean no stops on the course I have to try :)

If I can do a trial run with the diva cup before the race and it works, I will go for it. I can keep a tampon stashed in my capris just in case it really bothers me and will wear a pad in case it leaks. AF still hasn't started - I even had DH pick up a pg test knowing it would be negative but I thought that would do the trick :)