PDA

View Full Version : Calling all constipation experts....

pinkmomagain
04-23-2013, 09:13 AM
So dd3 seemed to be backed up. Went to the dr on Sat and he confirmed it. He recommended 1/2 cap of Miralax every morning and increased fluids. We have been doing this since Sat and still no significant BM. On Sunday she said she went a little bit when she emerged from the bathroom one time but yesterday nothing. Is this to be expected? Can it take a few days to get going? Not sure if it is time to call the dr's office for next steps.

gatorsmom
04-23-2013, 09:20 AM
I'd call the ped. I suspect that half a capful each day isn't enough miralax, particulalry if she is really backed up. Greenbean, my 5yo takes a capful and a half each day. He can have more for a cleanout.

almostmom
04-23-2013, 09:30 AM
It can take up to 5 days to have an effect. But I would also up what your dose to a capful a day. If it is too much, you'll know soon enough and can back off of it. But if she has been constipated for a while, you might want to do a clean-out which for us was 2 chocolate ex-lax and 2 capfuls of miralax one evening. It was all done by 10am the next morning, but it was a rough 15 hours! But now DD has a capful of miralax every day, and that is keeping things normal.

gatorsmom
04-23-2013, 09:35 AM
It can take up to 5 days to have an effect. But I would also up what your dose to a capful a day. If it is too much, you'll know soon enough and can back off of it. But if she has been constipated for a while, you might want to do a clean-out which for us was 2 chocolate ex-lax and 2 capfuls of miralax one evening. It was all done by 10am the next morning, but it was a rough 15 hours! But now DD has a capful of miralax every day, and that is keeping things normal.

Did your ped recommend the ex-lax? Im just asking because I've been told to stay away from that stuff. I can't remember what's in it but I was told it is not gentle enough for kids. And it makes me sick and gives me cramps.

Miralax is my favorite with Milk of Magnesia being a close second.

crl
04-23-2013, 09:37 AM
I agree you probably need to up the miralax.

Catherine

almostmom
04-23-2013, 09:39 AM
Yes, ped recommended it. She did throw up in the very early morning, but it also did a good job of cleaning her out. Hopefully we won't have to do it again, but I'll keep that in mind for next time.

AnnieW625
04-23-2013, 01:36 PM
A friend of mine whose daughter was really backed up told me that it only worked really well when you drink a bit of miralax, eat a bite, drink, and so on until the miralax is gone. I didn't know that when I tried my miralax on myself and all miralax did was make me gassy beyond belief. I would try the eat, drink, eat, method and I might up the dosage as well.

123LuckyMom
04-23-2013, 01:54 PM
I would check about upping the dosage of Miralax. Half a cap might work for a maintenance dose, but might not be enough to get things moving.

pinkmomagain
04-28-2013, 04:33 PM
Just wanted to come back to this thread and thank you guys. I did end up using a full dose of the miralax and it did the trick. I've been keeping up with miralax just to make sure she gets into a regular pattern.

And let me tell you, since she cleared out, she is like a completely different person. Even the look on her face is different, her whole demeanor. Forgot how miserable being backed up makes a person. So for anyone who has a kid that is not acting quite like him/herself, consider if he/she could be constipated. If so, you will get your dear sweet kiddo back after treating it!

WatchingThemGrow
04-28-2013, 05:50 PM
Great update! On a similar note, my DS2 has been unleashed as a crazy 3.5 yo after getting going with Miralax and finishing up 2 years of speech therapy. It's like he's got a whole new lease on life.

Melaine
04-28-2013, 07:32 PM
Just wanted to come back to this thread and thank you guys. I did end up using a full dose of the miralax and it did the trick. I've been keeping up with miralax just to make sure she gets into a regular pattern.

And let me tell you, since she cleared out, she is like a completely different person. Even the look on her face is different, her whole demeanor. Forgot how miserable being backed up makes a person. So for anyone who has a kid that is not acting quite like him/herself, consider if he/she could be constipated. If so, you will get your dear sweet kiddo back after treating it!

wow! I have long suspected DD2 might be constipated fairly often. is it safe to try miralax w/o discussing with the ped?

pinkmomagain
04-28-2013, 09:38 PM
I don't know. It seems alot of people on these boards do use it with their kids. I did take dd in to the ped because she had some other things wrong and I wanted to confirm that she was backed up. He felt around her belly and confirmed that he felt stool.

You may at least want to call the nurse line at your ped, just to play safe.