PDA

View Full Version : Broken garage door spring?

Mommy2Abby
04-23-2013, 11:03 AM
Hi - last night we heard a loud bang in our garage... and it turns out it was one of the 2 garage door springs breaking, so the wheel is now off the track on the one side, and one of the metal braces is bent. I'm just thankful that no one was out there or hurt when it happened!

Anyone have experience with a broken spring? How much does it cost to fix? We're in the Northeast, if that helps. The door is only for a 1 car garage.

The other spring/brace still looks ok, but curious if the garage door company will require it be replaced as well?

TIA for any BTDT advice!

lil_acorn
04-23-2013, 11:04 AM
i think you may as well get both replaced at the same time since there is a charge just to get them out there. From memory (which is very very foggy) i thought it was ~250 or so?

Jen841
04-23-2013, 11:09 AM
We HATED the door we had it all got off track, so we got a new door. Installed by our handyman I think it was $500-600 for our 2 door garage. He has some deal for us.

Our old door was wooden and HEAVY and water bogged and rotting. The break was the catalyst to just replace it. In the case of power loss (happens on occassion) I could not open the old one b/c it was so heavy and I am a strong.

When we were shopping Home Depot and Lowes websites I remember being helpful.

Blue Hydrangea
04-23-2013, 11:26 AM
We used to have a very heavy wood garage door and the had one of the springs break. The first time, the break was close enough to the end that they ended up just using what was left of the spring, so it was just a bill for their time. The second time it happened, we had the whole thing replaced, door, rails, opener. Haven't had a problem since. And I'm happy to be rid of the springs, I do think they are dangerous!

Mommy2Abby
04-23-2013, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the info.

We are actually putting our house on the market soon, so I'd rather not shell out too much money now... but of course don't want a safety hazard either.

I have a garage door guy coming tomorrow morning.

hellokitty
04-23-2013, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the info.

We are actually putting our house on the market soon, so I'd rather not shell out too much money now... but of course don't want a safety hazard either.

I have a garage door guy coming tomorrow morning.

It is a pretty easy fix, but just one of those annoying extra costs that sucks to shell out. Our spring has broken twice since we have lived at this house. I wasn't happy about it, but we use our garage door a lot, esp the one that houses my car (we have a garage that has two garage doors), so that is the one we keep replacing, but dh's side has yet to be replaced.

jjordan
04-23-2013, 02:03 PM
You should be able to buy the springs at a place like Home Depot and replace them yourself pretty easily (and inexpensively).

o_mom
04-23-2013, 02:12 PM
You should be able to buy the springs at a place like Home Depot and replace them yourself pretty easily (and inexpensively).

Tensioning garage door springs is not something I would DIY, personally, and we are very handy people.

We had ours both replaced after one broke, it was less than $200.

Nyfeara
04-23-2013, 08:37 PM
We've always heard that it's not a good idea to replace the springs yourself unless you know what you're doing. The tension in the springs can definitely cause injury and iirc, the tension on each side needs to be balanced correctly so that the door is not pulling unevenly.

We had the springs, some other parts, and some reinforcing strips put on our door a couple years ago and it was $275. We're in PA.

JBaxter
04-25-2013, 06:40 AM
Tensioning garage door springs is not something I would DIY, personally, and we are very handy people.

We had ours both replaced after one broke, it was less than $200.

This is what I was going to say. Ours broke in the old house I think service call/ repair was less than 250. It was not something we would have attempted ourselves.