PDA

View Full Version : Snap circuits for girls?

Jacksmommy2b
04-23-2013, 02:05 PM
Really, really stupid question ahead:

Would a snap.circuit be appropriate for a 6 y/o girl's birthday gift? J loves snap circuits and it is my usual go to for gifts, but this is our first girl party :). I would love getting them for DD, but I am pretty non girly and I don't want to offend.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

hellokitty
04-23-2013, 02:08 PM
Yes! It's a gender neutral gift as far as I am concerned. Any kid who likes science and tinkering with things will love it.

sarahsthreads
04-23-2013, 02:10 PM
My girls would both like something like that. DH would be even more excited. ;)

(It's been on his "let's get these for the girls" list for a while, but for whatever reason we haven't yet.)

Sarah :)

ellies mom
04-23-2013, 02:11 PM
It depends on the kid. My girls enjoy them in spurts. But they are that way about a lot of things.

vludmilla
04-23-2013, 02:18 PM
My 6 yo DD loves her snap circuits. I think it's a cool gift but I guess a super girly kid might not appreciate it.

Asianmommy
04-23-2013, 02:22 PM
Depends on the kid. My girls enjoyed it, but didn't very spend much time with it.

♥ms.pacman♥
04-23-2013, 02:28 PM
dude, i would LOVE it if someone gave my DD snap circuits for her birthday at that age!! not inappropriate at all. actually a pet peeve of mine is how these things and science kits are still often labeled as "boy" toys. ok, i'll get off my soapbox now. :) it's just as a electrical engineer it often saddens me how few women there are in ee and science/engineering in general.

Globetrotter
04-23-2013, 02:33 PM
Yes, I got it for dd around that age! It actually inspired future science fair projects :)

lkoala
04-23-2013, 02:33 PM
actually a pet peeve of mine is how these things and science kits are still often labeled as "boy" toys.

:yeahthat:

We bought my daughter a snapcircuits at age 4 and she is almost 6 now and loves to play with it. We also got the Discovery rover that is similar just this last Christmas and she loves to play with that too. She has loads of dolls and 'girly' things too and loves to play with those as much as her legos and trucks. Don't worry about it and give the lucky kid the snapcircuits :)

pb&j
04-23-2013, 02:47 PM
I got them for DS, but DD just loves to "help" with his projects. I would be thrilled if someone gave them to DD!!!!

brittone2
04-23-2013, 05:07 PM
DD isn't as into them yet as DS1 was at that age, but she enjoys them and builds with them several times per month.

She's 6.

edurnemk
04-23-2013, 05:45 PM
Yes! It's a gender neutral gift as far as I am concerned. Any kid who likes science and tinkering with things will love it.

:yeahthat: and as an engineer I'd be thrilled if my DD got them as a gift. Being a girl doen't mean you are limited to girly, princessy things.

edurnemk
04-23-2013, 05:47 PM
dude, i would LOVE it if someone gave my DD snap circuits for her birthday at that age!! not inappropriate at all. actually a pet peeve of mine is how these things and science kits are still often labeled as "boy" toys. ok, i'll get off my soapbox now. :) it's just as a electrical engineer it often saddens me how few women there are in ee and science/engineering in general.

:yeahthat: I hadn't read the responses but this sums up my feelings, too. Why do only boys get to build stuff and make experiments and such?

Kungjo
04-23-2013, 06:51 PM
Yep. Depends on the girl. If she's a more science oriented one, yes. More girly girl....not so much. I have one of each so I can see how each reacts to them.

If you already bought it, go ahead and give it. I'm sure she would enjoy it to some extent. Even my girly girl played with it for a bit although she wasn't was impressed with the possibilities as my other one.

larig
04-23-2013, 07:07 PM
Got it for my niece's 5 year old bday, and she loved it. She is also into pink and princesses.

army_mom
04-24-2013, 12:06 AM
I just looked these up and I know my pink princess little lady would love doing these. I was actually just trying to explain a motion detector to her today and what better way to teach her. These are now on our lists for her and friends/family. Looks so neat!

ellies mom
04-24-2013, 01:43 AM
It is too spendy for me to give as a gift for the average "friend party" but I think the "Lights" set would be extra fun. I want to get it for the girls.

mnosky1
04-24-2013, 10:17 AM
My DD wasn't that into it at age 6 or 7 then I pulled it out again when they did circuits in 4th grade and she loved it although by then our set was a little basic for her. I don't think being a girl had anything to do with it though as she isn't into girly stuff at all. Seeing the comments about younger ages, ill have to try with my DD5. I never pushed it much because I got it super cheap at a church rummage sale!