PDA

View Full Version : Talk me into (or out of!) a blue bedroom for DD

baymom
04-23-2013, 02:35 PM
So, DD desperately wants a blue bedroom. Her BFF has a blue/ turquoise room and that's part of it. I did some research and brought home paint chips to look at in different light. DD, DH and I agreed on a Kelly Moore color called 'Oceano.'. I prepped her room last night (moved furniture, taped walls, ect) and went to the store to buy the paint this morning.

I just couldn't do it. Various people (guy at paint shop, the contractor working at our house right now, DH) have told me you really don't see blue used as a restroom color much since its so cold. We once had a blue bathroom that we regretting the day after we finished painting it, but were too lazy to change. I love her current color ('Full Sun') which is a soft buttery yellow. She has a small room with cherry floors and dark furniture, so the light walls are great. I looked at blue-grey shades to make it feel warmer, but it felt too dark for the space.

What would you do?!! I dont even know what I'm asking for, but I guess I just feel paralyzed with indecision. I know it's just paint, and we can always repaint if its awful, but it's still a lot of work... Arggghhhh!!

crl
04-23-2013, 02:39 PM
I love blue and would do it in a heartbeat. In fact, I'm hoping dd will choose blue when we do her room in a couple of years.

Catherine

sarahsthreads
04-23-2013, 02:40 PM
We have a blue kitchen and get complements on it all the time. The new baby's room will probably be a greeny-blue color. (Right now it's between a sky blue and a blue with a bit more green in it. I have to pick out bedding, etc. before making a final decision.) I think a lot depends on what kind of light the room gets, but cherry floors and dark furniture with an "ocean" blue color on the walls sounds like it would be very pretty.

Can you buy a small test can and paint part of one wall before committing to a whole gallon or three?

Sarah :)

crl
04-23-2013, 02:41 PM
Link to some beautiful blue girls' rooms.

https://www.google.com/search?q=blue+girls+room&client=safari&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=hdV2UaH3PO7FiwKC-oGoCg&ved=0CDAQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=672

Catherine

egoldber
04-23-2013, 02:42 PM
Older DD chose blue for her room in our new house. It is Behr River's Edge and is really beautiful. Turquoise is very popular right now.

almostmom
04-23-2013, 02:45 PM
I love blue rooms and don't find them cold at all. DS has a saturated blue room. It has a horizontal red stripe and it looks great. It's not a big room, it doesn't get a lot of sunlight, but I love it as does he.

We also have blue walls in our basement - nantucket fog I think. Again, I don't find it cold at all! I find it really pretty and soothing.

Corie
04-23-2013, 02:48 PM
My daughter's bedroom is painted a turquoise blue. It is a Sherwin Williams
color called Spa. (SW 6765)

Her bathroom is one shade lighter called Swimming. (SW 6764)

I love her colors!!

AtlantaMom
04-23-2013, 02:49 PM
I love blue rooms for girls. Have you looked at Quiet Moments by Benjamin Moore? Gorgeous color. Healing Aloe, one shade lighter, is very pretty too. Blue but with hints of gray and green too, not cold at all. And these colors seem to go with everything. Would be so pretty with the floors you mentioned.

baymom
04-23-2013, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the link, crl--those are some beautiful rooms! You and Sarah are probably right....I need to just go for it. Blue is such a pretty color (and I secretly prefer it to pink/purple for DD's room) and will likely look good. It's a blue with a hint of green. The room has no windows but a big sliding glass door so gets a lot of light. Maybe I'll give myself today and paint tomorrow...or go buy it now before I talk myself out of it. :tongue5:

bisous
04-23-2013, 02:52 PM
I would personally never pick blue for a room in my own house. I'm like you and often find it "cold" but some PP have linked some beautiful shades and I would definitely consider it for a child in my home if that is what they preferred. Both my mother and sister LOVE blue rooms and I think having an environment that you really love is nice for children. While it wouldn't be my top pick I think it could be really lovely!

baymom
I posted before seeing everyone's posts! Okay, thanks for the vote of confidence for blue, ladies!!! It makes me feel a lot more comfortable with it, for sure!

YouAreTheFocus
Our master was blue in our last home, we loved it. Not cold at all. The color gave me a warm, soothing vibe. I would do it again.

I am biased, my favorite color is blue :tongue5:

ellies mom
Older DD chose blue for her room in our new house. It is Behr River's Edge and is really beautiful. Turquoise is very popular right now.

I finally painted my laundry room River's Edge and it is such a lovely color. It is very cheery. I'm really happy with how it came out.

I've seen some of the turquoise rooms with hot pink accents but I really like the rooms I've seen with coral accents.

Turquoise and coral - this is the room that has me eying coral as an accent color. (http://projectnursery.com/projects/lilas-chevron-nursery/)
Blue room - love the expedit bedside table/storage (http://www.tinyoranges.com/2012/11/07/decorating-ideas-for-a-3-year-old-girls-room/)
Not a bedroom, but I love the colors (http://www.everythingetsy.com/2011/08/dreamy-sewing-tables/)
Blue with pink and green (http://www.poshtots.com/designer-rooms/bedrooms-for-girls/tween-tweet/ava-bedding-collection/9/3672/3481/26490/poshproductdetail.aspx)

Momit
04-23-2013, 02:55 PM
Love the pictures and shades in the links. Blue will be a beautiful choice!

ahisma
04-23-2013, 02:56 PM
I have a blue bedroom and love it. I constantly change paint colors but have kept my bedroom color for 8 years now with no desire to change it in the future.

It's very saturated, with thick white trim - the blue is like this: http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/cc/af/92/ccaf92ce618bddb1b6943d3a8063df0a.jpg

gatorsmom
04-23-2013, 02:57 PM
I think turquoise would look great with dark furniture.

I had a blue room growing up. I loved it.

acmom
04-23-2013, 02:59 PM
My DD's room is blue (lighter shade with some green in it, can't remember the exact color). She requested blue and I still like it a lot 2 years later and am glad we didn't have to do pink or purple!

egoldber
04-23-2013, 02:59 PM
(and I secretly prefer it to pink/purple for DD's room)

Funny, younger DD chose a very pretty pink for her room: BM Primrose Petals. And then she saw older DD's room and she CRIED because she wanted that color instead! We had to do a lot of upsell marketing on the pink. ;)

squimp
04-23-2013, 03:02 PM
Funny. I hate yellow and I love blue. DD's room is turquoise with thick white trim - she picked out the color and helped her dad paint it.

Blue is really popular right now - check out PB Teen.

zukeypur
04-23-2013, 03:29 PM
W have a blue room too. DD2 wanted royal blue, but I said no to that. It's a nice bright aqua.

MamaMolly
04-23-2013, 03:30 PM
When I was a kid my mom let me paint my room bright turquoise. I absolutely loved it! Our MBR is a dark peacock blue now and it is stunning with dark furniture and teracotta tile floors.

brittone2
04-23-2013, 03:36 PM
It seems like white cabinetry, blue and green spa-ish colors, etc. have been in for a while now, so I don't know that I agree it isn't used that much because it is "too cool."

If you like it, I think you should go for it.

I agree that you can do a lot with it-brighter limes with aquas or turquoise, or coral and blue together (I always think that combo looks like something that can "grow" a bit with a kid), or pink with blue (PBK always has a lot of that type of combo).

mcmanutm
04-23-2013, 03:38 PM
We just painted our DS's room Benjamin Moore's "Jet Steam". LOVE the way it turned out. We painted our DS's room this color because it may be our DD's room in the near future and it can work for both of them. Found the idea on Pinterest.

http://www.chiccheapnursery.com/2011/real-rooms/mediterranean-inspired-girls-room-designer-spotlight/

brittone2
04-23-2013, 03:39 PM
We just painted our DS's room Benjamin Moore's "Jet Steam". LOVE the way it turned out. We painted our DS's room this color because it may be our DD's room in the near future and it can work for both of them. Found the idea on Pinterest.

http://www.chiccheapnursery.com/2011/real-rooms/mediterranean-inspired-girls-room-designer-spotlight/
cuuuuute!

MaiseyDog
04-23-2013, 04:15 PM
We painted DD1's nursery blue (Glidden Spring Bluebell) and have kept it even as she has gotten older. I still love the color.

TxCat
04-23-2013, 04:27 PM
DD's room is BM Sweet Bluette with white trim. I love it - it's my favorite room in the house. Even DH who hates blue likes it.

pastrygirl
04-23-2013, 04:36 PM
My boys' room is bright painters-tape blue. We all love it! My windowless half bath is also blue (darker, denim-like) and I don't like it there because its so dark. But the kids room is nice and bright when there's sun, and nice and dark at night.

janine
04-23-2013, 04:39 PM
He said that? I think gray blues are very popular right now and quite feminine. I have 2 DD's and went with a gray blue (BM Glass Slipper) playroom, it looks fantastic with pink accents. I don't find it cold at all, we have a cozy rug in there and decals and blue brings in the outside when you can't (for a playroom at least). I was so tired of pink and yellows and ruled out green since I just love this color.

I have seen friends do their DD's rooms in Aqua (infant and older girl of 11) and it's a great color too.

hillview
04-23-2013, 04:40 PM
DS2 has an egg shell blue in his room and I like it.

123LuckyMom
04-23-2013, 05:02 PM
I think it depends on the blue. You don't want anything harsh. I had a navy bedroom once where all the trim and furniture was white, and the bedding was white with navy flowers. The room was accented with pops of red. It was very beautiful. My mother has a blue bedroom in her home that was featured in Architectural Digest. It's a grayish, greenish blue (there's also a yellow bedroom, a purple bedroom, and an orange/rust bedroom). Be brave! Buy a pint of the paint first and paint a biggish area so you can see better what it will look like. If the color is too saturated, go a step or two lighter on the same sample sheet.

alootikki
04-23-2013, 05:05 PM
DD's room is Benjamin Moore Misty Blue. LOVE it! It is so calm and peaceful,and looks great with all of the girly pastels (pink, green, etc).

AnnieW625
04-23-2013, 05:06 PM
My bedroom is BM Innocence. I love it. I think you could easily make it more girly or beachy if that is what she wants. I would paint the color she wants. My sister has three shades of blue on her wall at my parents house, one deep on the bottom, one medium in the middle, and one light blue on the top. She did this when she was 14 I think. I will try and find a photo on FB of it and if I can I'll post it in here.

Our bathroom is BM Fresh Mint, which is the paint that is linked above in the blog.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=benjamin+moore+fresh+mint&id=BFC67FE76CF1B4CFFC0128568DB95A8B2BD6867C&FORM=IQFRBA

cleo27
04-23-2013, 05:09 PM
We painted the nursery periwinkle blue, not knowing the gender. DD was in that room until age 5 (when we moved). I really like blue and find it can be very calming. The color you described sounds beautiful!

edurnemk
04-23-2013, 05:19 PM
DS's room is blue, and is quite warm. Well we only painted one (big) wall blue (a lightish blue) and the rest are a warm cream color and I really like how it looks. The room is not big and we have natural hardwood floors. The blue wall also has some decals that make it look fun and match the bedding.

I'd totally paint it, if you hate it after a couple months you can always repaint.

MommyAllison
04-23-2013, 06:10 PM
DS has a blue room - it was a custom color (took a Rodda sample to Home Depot for them to match it in Behr - they didn't match it very well but we love the color we ended up with!). It is awesome! We get compliments on the color from just about everyone that sees it. It is a fun brighter blue with yellow in it and it is way more fun and warm than the pale pink in DD1's room. Go for it!

lhafer
04-23-2013, 06:16 PM
DD1 wanted a blue room, so I picked about 4 different colors I was okay with and let her pick her blue.

It's very very similar to this one: http://www.feltfantasia.com/store/popup_image.php?pID=226

WE love it, and 3 years later (she's 7 now) she's still not tired of it!

flashy09
04-23-2013, 08:06 PM
I totally would! My bedroom is the prettiest blue and it reminds me of a spa. It's not a "pop" kind of blue at all and is very relaxing. Will try to find the name of it.

My bathroom is blue gray called Flint Smoke by Behr that is also really nice and calming.

rlu
04-23-2013, 08:36 PM
I had a light blue bedroom growing up and DS has a (Sharks) tealish blue room. It didn't/doesn't feel "cold" to me at all.

tmahanes
04-23-2013, 08:43 PM
B's room is two shades of blue....

Sent from my DROID RAZR

zag95
04-23-2013, 10:27 PM
I grew up in a blue room- it was great! A couple walls had some wallpaper with that shade of blue and other small flowers (pink, yellow, green)- blue was a soft blue color.

DD1 currently has a periwinkle blue color in her room now.

Love shades of blue!

LizLemon
04-24-2013, 12:17 AM
Turquoise is very popular right now.

Exactly what I was going to say. It is the color. It is everywhere - and would probably look beautiful in a girl's room with the cherry floors.

You can go either way with blue. I think blue can definitely be warm - think a Tiffany's box. On the other hand, grey is increasingly becoming the fashionable neutral color, so a more cool neutral blue would be pretty as well.

MMMommy
04-24-2013, 12:52 AM
DD1 wanted and has a blue room. She likes it very much!

babyonway
04-24-2013, 08:51 AM
My niece (9yo) has an electric blue bedroom and I LOVE it!

I say go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

7pages
04-24-2013, 08:54 AM
My DD room is SW6785 Quench Blue. It's fresh and cheery. I like it!

Pick the bedding first and then the wall color will pull it all together.

kcimato
04-24-2013, 05:09 PM
I thought I would never have a blue room in my house. It's not my favorite color. Then I discovered BM Palladian Blue and I can't tell you how much I love it. So calm and relaxing. I also painted a powder room BM Gossamer Blue and love it too.