PDA

View Full Version : Shoe stretching?

twowhat?
04-23-2013, 03:51 PM
Does this actually work? I bought a pair of flats that will work as the perfect nude flat. They are leather and comfortable but my foot is slightly wider than the size I got (7.5) but a size 8 would be too long. I really just need a bit more room width-wide. I'm going to try just wearing them around at home to see if I can stretch them by just wearing them but I think that they will need a tad more help than just that.

So - would stretching them be a workable solution? And if so where the heck do you take shoes to get stretched?

TIA!

KLD313
04-23-2013, 05:22 PM
I took a pair of boots to the shoemaker for stretching. It did work, I still can't get my foot in them but they definitely stretched. Can you put socks on and walk around the house? Maybe that will help.

Globetrotter
04-24-2013, 08:10 PM
I have stretched shoes by wearing them with thick socks. I've also had them stretched at Nordstorm, but I bought the shoes there..

StantonHyde
04-25-2013, 12:11 AM
As the song goes "Shoes don't stretch and men don't change" :tongue5:

Maybe they stretch after lots of wearing but that's not comfortable. You can take them to a cobbler and see what they can do. If you can't wear them anyway, its worth a try.

newg
04-26-2013, 02:23 PM
I saw a pin on Pinterest where you put on a really really thick pair of socks and while wearing the shoes (in the thick socks) you turn your hair dryer on the highest heat setting and heat up the leather....then walk around in the shoes, in the thick socks, while the leather cools and you'll stretch them out.

I have not tried this yet.....but in theory it sounds like it would work!

twowhat?
04-27-2013, 11:13 PM
So I was reading online that you can take a spray bottle with a mix of water and rubbing alcohol, spray on the inside of leather (not patent leather) shoes and then wear them around with thick socks...this is what "shoe stretcher" sprays are made out of.

So, I tried that...did 3 treatments. No go. I ended up buying shoe stretchers from footfitter.com (better price than on amazon). If they work, they will make several old pairs of shoes fit again (my feet are just slightly wider after pregnancy but just not wide enough to buy wide sizes and the length didn't change so going up a size doesn't help).

Will update!