PDA

View Full Version : Update in #17 top suggestions for the well endowed?

echoesofspring
04-23-2013, 05:11 PM
I haven't had to go into an office since before I was preg with DS, but I'm about to start going in 2 days a week. Between having 2 kids and either bf-ing or being pregnant since 2010 none of my tops fit. My chest is larger than ever (i think in the DDD range) and until I lose some more weight I've got a belly pooch I need to camouflage. I feel like I have exactly 1 outfit I can wear. Someone's going to notice if I wear it every week, right ? ;)

Super, super casual, but while my boss might be in yoga pants, I can't pull that off. Jeans are ok with cute tops. It's a brand new office and we share space with an ad agency/graphic designers, and some other companies we might collaborate with so I want to be presentable for spontaneous networking chit chat/what now.

Bought some wrap tops/dressier t's from Boden, waiting for them to arrive. Bought some button up shirts from Gap/ON, nope. I'm also short waist-ed, adding to the difficulty. B&M options are JCP and Kohls, otherwise online with free s/r.

Seen anything cute?

lizzywednesday
04-23-2013, 08:36 PM
If you haven't already, get a bra fitting. It'll help.

Seriously.

FWIW, I am in DIRE need of a bra fitting myself because the DDD-cups I'm wearing due to not having any other bras in anything resembling my size are just not doing anything for me.

Also, my boobs look like they're sitting on the waistband of my jeans. (I feel you on the "short waisted" bit ... I call it "short torsoed" rather than "short waisted" but, you get the idea.)

I am no help with the "presentable" category, though - I work from home 3 days per week & wear jeans, sneakers, and tee-shirts to the office. As long as they're clean, I really don't care. (I should, but I don't.)

You might want to consider one of those waterfall cardigans as an "instantly pull this outfit together" kind of piece - bonus if the A/C runs cold as it could be necessary office-wear!

jse107
04-25-2013, 02:42 PM
I've had good luck recently with the ATL tops. I just bought these and they are super flattering:
http://www.loft.com/loft/product/product%3A303347/LOFT-petite-view-all-tees/Petite-Shirred-Tee/303347?colorExplode=false&skuId=13367732&catid=cat1340042&productPageType=fullPriceProducts&defaultColor=4180

minnie-zb
04-25-2013, 03:06 PM
I second the getting a good bra -- it can make a huge difference.

You might want to check out Gwynnie Bee (http://intro.gwynniebee.com/) --- they have lots of cute tops which would work for you.

elektra
04-25-2013, 03:17 PM
I think v-necks or scoopnecks work best to accentuate a larger bust.

I might get some nicer T's at Gap or Splendid, or C&C California, and pair them with a few cardigans. I think the waterfall ones look nice.
Some wrap dresses like you mentioned would work too, as they are almost always V-necks.
You could always do the stretch pants and tunics too.

hellokitty
04-25-2013, 03:27 PM

:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat: I cannot express this enough. I read one of the books that was recommended here last yr when we were in that, "you look fab" kick here at BBB, and it was immensely helpful. The tip to stick with v-necks and scoopnecks is true. Any top with a high neck line is your enemy. It will make your bust look even more big. I cringe now to think that I had several of those types of crew neck tops and didn't know any better. Square neck lines suck too, they make you look too boxy. The more plunging neckline is the most flattering and I think it kinds of goes with the if you got it, show it off. I'm not talking about anything overly low cut and slutty looking, but it is definitely more flattering. That, along with a bra fitting, will help a lot.

queenmama
04-25-2013, 03:33 PM
I haven't bought anything new in forever so I can't recommend stores but I have a couple of tips!

In addition to choosing flattering necklines, you DO NOT want loose-fitting, billowy tops. And definitely nothing with a loose bodice and banded waist. I'm not saying go skin-tight, but bigger shirts will make you look super frumpy. I speak from awful experience (a woman next to me on a flight asked when my baby was due. I rolled with it and gave her my niece's due date and earned guiltless trips to the potty and extra snacks). Lesson learned!

Lara

hellokitty
04-25-2013, 03:52 PM
I haven't bought anything new in forever so I can't recommend stores but I have a couple of tips!

In addition to choosing flattering necklines, you DO NOT want loose-fitting, billowy tops. And definitely nothing with a loose bodice and banded waist. I'm not saying go skin-tight, but bigger shirts will make you look super frumpy. I speak from awful experience (a woman next to me on a flight asked when my baby was due. I rolled with it and gave her my niece's due date and earned guiltless trips to the potty and extra snacks). Lesson learned!

Lara

:yeahthat: I got rid of all my tops with empire waists after a woman mistakenly thought I was pregnant (she was pretty apologetic about it). I think that if you are bigger busted and have even a little bit of a tummy, those tops make you look pregnant. I was kind of sad, b/c many of those tops were nice tops, I just shipped them to my pregnant sil, lol. They are not maternity tops, but have enough stretch that they can be worn as maternity tops and she IS pregnant, so they will work out well for her.

echoesofspring
04-26-2013, 01:08 PM
Thanks everyone. Quick update, I ordered some tops from Boden which came yesterday, and while trying them on I realized the issue is really not the chest, but rather the muffin top :( . I only got half my order so there may still be something coming that will work. Hadn't really wanted to also invest in pants as I'm still losing baby weight and some of my pants fit and others are close but I may need to to deal with the belly sigh. I had a networking event at the office last night and I managed to pull something together, but it required some serious high rise shapewear. Not sure I want to do that for a full day of work.

Generally speaking I love wrap dresses (and the shirts that are working best for me seem to be faux wrap style), but I'll be pumping (probably in my car in the parking lot) so I'm not sure how that's going to work.... and there's the issue of desks that are just really tables so you legs are exposed requiring a longer skirt length, etc. Pants are probably the way to go.

I should probably just spend the time I'm clothes shopping doing pilates instead ;)

lizzywednesday
04-26-2013, 05:01 PM
... I'll be pumping (probably in my car in the parking lot) so I'm not sure how that's going to work.... ...

Get a nursing cover & hands-free pump bra, put on some cool music & relax!

(Assumes, of course, you do not need to do breast compressions while pumping. If you do, a waterfall cardigan could also help with coverage ... or even a kimono robe - slip it on backwards & work underneath. Get a cardboard sunshade for the windshield & sit in the back seat.)

echoesofspring
04-26-2013, 06:37 PM
Get a nursing cover & hands-free pump bra, put on some cool music & relax!

(Assumes, of course, you do not need to do breast compressions while pumping. If you do, a waterfall cardigan could also help with coverage ... or even a kimono robe - slip it on backwards & work underneath. Get a cardboard sunshade for the windshield & sit in the back seat.)

Mostly I meant I can't fathom getting in/out of a dress to pump, rather than a shirt, but maybe it's not that big a deal. I figure I have to change into the pumping bra in the bathroom, walk to the car, etc. I don't know...I'll figure it out.

I must be the only person in the world that can't do a waterfall cardigan. They look positively awful and frumpy on me, and well meaning family members keep giving them to me as gifts, sigh. Between the chest and being short I just can't pull them off too much volume. I can't do volume, need things to be relatively tailored/body conscious w/out being too tight. I did find a boyfriend sweater at ON that works pretty well.

lovin2shop
04-26-2013, 07:10 PM
Sounds like we have the same body! Short on time, so I'll be checking back on this thread, but here's a good blog to check out:

http://www.insideoutstyleblog.com/

She specifically mentions why waterfall cardigans don't work, and I agree, they don't work for me.

fivi2
04-26-2013, 08:21 PM
I kept meaning to post, but no time...

I was going to say - run far, far away from waterfall cardigans. I am surprised they work for other well-endowed women, because they are terrible on me! (But, I am one who likes button up shirts, and many other said they were terrible!)

I have a large bust (34 G or H depending). Until recently I was about a 10 in pants, now between a 6/4. I am short waisted (and short in general!)

Despite all the advice, I mostly hate scoop necks - I feel like Jessica Rabbit. V necks are good, I like button up shirts, I do well with bateau/boat necks (but not all busty women can). I especially like v-necks or button downs with a tank or cami underneath. That works well for button ups that may not button across the bust. I also wear a lot of fitted jackets - they provide structure and help with the tummy. Knits in general are terrible on me - they cling to my bust and are just awful. (unless I have a tank or shirt on under, but that adds bulk).

You will need to get some pants that fit to help the muffin top. I also love the camis that help hold you in (like the flexees) (those are also good to wear under knits if you are set on those). Shirring or gathering on the sides can help, but be careful not to add too much bulk.

wrap tops are hit or miss for me. Good in theory, but in reality they are usually cut for small chested people, so the wrap cuts across my bust in the wrong place.

For the most part, I think you are just going to have to try a bunch of styles on and see what works. Not all the "rules" work for me, and some things that look good shouldn't according to the rules.

None of this is helpful for nursing...

Good luck!

123LuckyMom
04-26-2013, 09:31 PM
This is what I do. I buy v-neck tops that fit in the bust and shoulder. This inevitably (for me) means they are massively swimming around my waist and are too long. I take them in. It's very easy if you're working with cotton or other not too slippery fabrics. I make all my tops fit as if they were an empire waist, but there's no band and no pleating or anything. I turn the shirts inside out, draw a nice curve on each side from right below the bust to the bottom of the shirt. Because the bottom of the shirt is pretty wide given the size I am at the bust, this gives the shirt a decided hourglass shape. Sometimes I also bring the hem up a couple of inches. After sewing, I cut of the extra fabric with pinking shears and iron the seams flat. This way my shirts don't span at the bust, and they're not ridiculously huge through the waist. They are plenty forgiving at the waistband of my trousers, though, which is a must for me, because I, too, have the dreaded muffin top. I have small hips, too, so having a shaped top that shows a waist but has a flare at the hip helps balance out my huge bust so I don't look like I'm going to topple over! If you don't feel confident doing these alterations yourself, find a tailor. I cannot tell you what a huge difference it makes to tailor a garment to fit you rather than expecting miracles from something off the rack! With tailoring, you can make a simple tee shirt look smart, because it will fit you so well. And definitely get a bra fitting! I thought I was a DDD. I'm an H (I'm still nursing), but my band size is significantly lower than I thought. I wear serious and seriously expensive bras now, because I look a full 10lbs lighter when I'm wearing a good, supportive bra! They're not sexy, but they look great under clothes.

MontrealMum
04-27-2013, 12:47 AM

I also find v-necks and scoopnecks to be the most flattering, but be warned that they can also be extremely revealing. Many companies increase the scoop or V significantly as the size of the top goes up, thus allowing quite a bit to peek out. If your office isn't one that will be happy with you revealing cleavage, be careful.

To be frank, if you're larger busted and you're wearing the bra you're supposed to be, your girls are going to be up fairly high. In many lower cut tops they will be exposed. I have sent back a fair number of tops ordered by mail because of this issue.

Not only would my workplace frown on it, but personally, I wouldn't be comfortable. In my private life, yes, but at work, no.

I like a tailored, button shirt, where I can choose to undo a button or two at the top depending on how it falls. This makes me feel a bit more pulled together, and the side darts are flattering.

maybeebaby08
04-27-2013, 06:17 AM
These shirts are my new favorites!
http://m.marksandspencer.com/mt/www.marksandspencer.com/Pure-Cotton-Scoop-Neck-T-Shirt/dp/B00ARQ4NVE?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_1&nodeId=42966030&sr=1-1&qid=1367057445&pf_rd_r=1A7VV4FDMWT7Y2AFQF0V&pf_rd_m=A2BO0OYVBKIQJM&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_i=0&pf_rd_p=321381407&pf_rd_s=center-3

They aren't cut too low, thicker cotton that doesn't get the holes at the bottom, longer sleeves, and longer length so nothing is hanging out. Could you dress it up with a scarf or necklace?

For $14 I'd probably take a chance on this shirt too. I've been really happy with my M&S purchases.
http://m.marksandspencer.com/mt/www.marksandspencer.com/Classic-Collar-Sleeve-Shirt-Fuller/dp/B00B1LWQU4?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_36&nodeId=43074030&sr=1-36&qid=1367057721&pf_rd_r=0E5K2K9PJRX28WQR1N8M&pf_rd_m=A2BO0OYVBKIQJM&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=43074030&pf_rd_p=321381387&pf_rd_s=related-items-3

echoesofspring
05-09-2013, 01:25 AM
Update
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! I think I have at this point enough of a 'warddrobe' to get through the next month or so, and hopefully I'll keep losing baby weight. In the end I really did surprisingly well with Boden, it was my first time shopping with them. I didn't expect much as I usually strike out on all my online clothes shopping, especially non petite sizes, but I kept quite a bit of what I ordered back in april when they were doing FS/FR and a bit o' a sale:

Button down jersey shirt, cute and intentionally wrinkled is totally my speed these days :)
http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Womens-Shirts/WL704/Womens-Crinkle-Jersey-Shirt.html

scoop neck
http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Womens-Tops-T-shirts/Short-Sleeved-Tops/WL728/Womens-Pretty-Ruffle-Tee.html

narrow v-neck, no cleavage!
http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Womens-Tops-T-shirts/Short-Sleeved-Tops/WL705/Womens-Crochet-Tee.html

wrap top, I will probably have to wear a cami with this, tho
http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Clearance/Womens-Tops-T-shirts/3_4-Sleeved-Tops/WL678/Womens-Wrap-Jersey-Top.html

Surprisingly flattering/helpful with the muffin top. DH liked them so much he said I should buy these in every color ;) When's the next sale???
http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Womens-Pants-Jeans/Jeans/WC123/Womens-Weekender-Jeans.html

This went really well with the weekender jeans, despite breaking lots of 'rules' like horz stripes and a looser fit
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/amber-sun-reese-stripe-tee/3414855

So nice to have a few options that I feel good in!
Thanks again!

Green22
05-10-2013, 01:27 PM
Ty for the update. I am in the same boat as you and am always looking for ideas and shirts that do not come to above my Pudgy belly button. i am a size G for giant chest, a very soft middle and a long torso, so it is kind of the worst combo ever. Just yesterday I placed an order at mod cloth and will post if I find anything that works. Hopefully it will help someone else and we can all help each other dress nicer. :applause:

boolady
05-10-2013, 01:41 PM
i am a size G for giant chest, a very soft middle and a long torso, so it is kind of the worst combo ever.

LOL. Me, too. It really is the worst. I'm glad the OP found some things that work for her.

echoesofspring
05-10-2013, 02:48 PM
i am a size G for giant chest, a very soft middle and a long torso, so it is kind of the worst combo ever.

I think the grass is always greener, b/c I'd of course say my short torso makes it extra hard to find things that fit :)

Would love to hear how you do at ModCloth, I always see things I like there but am nervous to buy.

Green22
05-16-2013, 09:12 PM
Just wanted to follow up. Mod cloth was a bust for me. I felt like the clothes were on par, quality wise, with forever 21. I can handle that with such distinctly styled pieces and the price isn't so bad on many items . . .but overall the fits just didn't work for me on almost every item. I would say though if you are on the fence, order! Shipping was very quick and they have free returns, although you need to return in a pretty quick time frame.

I am going to keep this cardigan in a couple of colors (the honey which is really beautiful and green) It was not nearly long enough for me, probably hits at very high hip, and I cannot button it, but it was a thin soft material and lays pretty nicely on. It might be a little clingy and I ordered the largest size possible, but if you are looking for a pretty colored, non-functional cardigan, I think this fits the bill. Less boxy than old navy and nicer colors than the ones I found at the gap IMO. Now, if only I could find a white t to wear under it . . .
http://www.modcloth.com/shop/cardigans/charter-school-cardigan-in-honey

I am too poochy to wear tunics and I cannot belt them, but for someone thinner, this one was pretty cute and long enough!
http://www.modcloth.com/shop/blouses/hosting-for-the-weekend-top

HTHS!

echoesofspring
05-17-2013, 03:22 PM
Love the honey colored cardi, Green22!

Did you try the ON boyfriend cardi? I got one (in petite) and I think it's pretty slimming for a longer cardi, didn't add extra bulk, etc. I can button it up, but I don't think I would. And it was something like $16 after some sale:

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=3848990824005&cid=60783&locale=en_US

Mommy_Mea
05-17-2013, 03:56 PM
wrap top, I will probably have to wear a cami with this, tho
http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Clearance/Womens-Tops-T-shirts/3_4-Sleeved-Tops/WL678/Womens-Wrap-Jersey-Top.html

I have this shirt, and I :heartbeat: it! I do wear a cami when I want to be super modest, but I feel awesome in it whenever I wear it. I dress it up, down and it washed really well :)

TwinFoxes
05-17-2013, 09:39 PM
I have the wrap jersey top in two colors. They also have a short sleeve version this summer, which I have in two additional colors! They are great for the large busted. I have the navy spot, which is currently in back order, and it is super cute. I also have the poppy, which is very nice.

http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Womens-Tops-T-shirts/Short-Sleeved-Tops/WL750/Womens-Short-Sleeve-Wrap-Jersey-Top.html

Reader
05-18-2013, 11:06 PM
These shirts are my new favorites!
http://m.marksandspencer.com/mt/www.marksandspencer.com/Pure-Cotton-Scoop-Neck-T-Shirt/dp/B00ARQ4NVE?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_1&nodeId=42966030&sr=1-1&qid=1367057445&pf_rd_r=1A7VV4FDMWT7Y2AFQF0V&pf_rd_m=A2BO0OYVBKIQJM&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_i=0&pf_rd_p=321381407&pf_rd_s=center-3

They aren't cut too low, thicker cotton that doesn't get the holes at the bottom, longer sleeves, and longer length so nothing is hanging out. Could you dress it up with a scarf or necklace?

For $14 I'd probably take a chance on this shirt too. I've been really happy with my M&S purchases.
http://m.marksandspencer.com/mt/www.marksandspencer.com/Classic-Collar-Sleeve-Shirt-Fuller/dp/B00B1LWQU4?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_36&nodeId=43074030&sr=1-36&qid=1367057721&pf_rd_r=0E5K2K9PJRX28WQR1N8M&pf_rd_m=A2BO0OYVBKIQJM&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=43074030&pf_rd_p=321381387&pf_rd_s=related-items-3

Thank you, thank you. I have been looking for elbow length sleeves and I hadn't thought to check Marks and Spencer.