PDA

View Full Version : WHat age for Dr. Who?

blisstwins
04-23-2013, 07:01 PM
I have read some reviews that said it is scary. At what age do you think kids get into this show and is there anything I should know? Obviously I have never seen it.

ellies mom
04-23-2013, 07:27 PM
Hmm, that is a tough one. My girls both love Dr Who (9 and 5). Most of them aren't too scary. DD1 is fine with all of them but occasionally an episode will be a little intense for DD2. The older Dr Who is pretty campy so it doesn't come off as intense as the new episodes occasionally are. So my official answer is, it depends on your kid and you may want to pre-screen the individual episodes first.

My girls kind of watch them in whatever order. My husband is watching a lot of the older ones and I'm rewatching all the new ones in order.

I would start with the new episodes. They are on both Netflix and Amazon Prime. It start with the ninth doctor, Christopher Eccleston.

rlu
04-23-2013, 07:29 PM
My friend introduced me in high school (the 80s, I think Tom Baker was in the majority of the episodes back then, not sure if they were all reruns though). I only watched a few episodes of the reboot a few years ago and I agree with Veronica the older ones are more campy.

eta: per Wiki I was seeing reruns although new episodes ran in Britain until 1989 (not sure if they played here simultaneously or not).

egoldber
04-23-2013, 07:41 PM
Older DD (11.5) is a certified Whovian. :) She really got into it about a year ago. She now lives for the new seasons and is in deep (tween) despair when the season is over. She has a T-shirt that says "I :heartbeat: :heartbeat: Gallifrey" and you'd be surprised by how many people stop her to comment that they are also Whovians. A lot of kids in her class like it. It seems to appeal to a lot of the same kids who like Harry Potter or Percy Jackson.

Younger DD (6.5) sometimes watches it. A few of the episodes are scary, but most are not.

LMPC
04-23-2013, 09:43 PM
I agree that most of the episodes are pretty benign...but some are a little scary (I'm thinking of the angels/statues ones).

sarahsthreads
04-23-2013, 10:36 PM
I love Doctor Who, but I'm not yet ready to have my kids (8.5 & 4.75) watch. DH has been trying to convince me that DD1 (8.5) is plenty old enough to start watching. But I keep thinking of that first reboot episode with the living plastic and the mannequins come to life and thinking we'll be dealing with nightmares for weeks.

Not to mention the Vashta Narada. Because my kids are not afraid enough of the dark.

Don't. Blink. The angels might kill you.

And carnivorous snowmen with sharp pointy teeth.

Yeesh. But I love the show. And I know plenty of kids younger than mine watch it, so maybe I'll cave once school lets out and I don't need to worry so much over a night (or three) of interrupted sleep?

Sarah :)

ECMom
04-23-2013, 10:40 PM
I started watching when I was 12, in the 1980's. My son is 10 & I haven't introduced it to him yet. Probably in the next 1-2 yrs.

AnnieW625
04-23-2013, 10:40 PM
I haven't seen the newest incarnation but I saw the 80s version at somewhere between 8 and 10 and it was fine. By jr. high (12, 7th grade) it was a pretty popular show.

MelissaTC
04-23-2013, 11:48 PM
M is a total Whovian. He is obsessed! He got into this year and he is 10.

new_mommy25
04-24-2013, 12:47 AM
DS is obsessed, and I mean OBSESSED, in Doctor Who. It's our thing together. DD watches it with us a lot, too.

ellies mom
04-24-2013, 01:29 AM
OK-
I just have to share this picture from a local comic-con a couple of months ago. DD2's TARDIS costume was a big success. DD1 is wearing an incomplete and more age appropriate It Girl outfit (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/3/31666/2410632-itgirl2a.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.comicvine.com/it-girl/4005-17868/&h=900&w=600&sz=256&tbnid=bqHmk-3oeWkdsM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=60&zoom=1&usg=__jg8BC2ofW64zEnYjlqFnio6DJIU=&docid=yhqnfMTA5LBMFM&sa=X&ei=Fm13Ufr0MMbJiwLgxYDAAQ&ved=0CEUQ9QEwAg&dur=354).
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a54/vdrapeau/Facebook/Mobile%20Uploads/fa1c67da-a7d9-4cd8-8d5d-e2fe86ade566_zpsbdfd339d.jpg

blisstwins
04-24-2013, 06:11 AM
The girls are adorable!
My kids are pretty sensitive. We never could read Peter Rabbit because of the opening and they left Kung Fu Panda because the fighting was scary, so I will wait a bit. At least until summer as PP suggested!

LBW
04-24-2013, 06:56 AM
I have a thing about starting series from the very beginning, so I've never gotten into Dr. Who -- but I'm intrigued. Is there a good, more recent, starting point? I think 10-year old DS1 would really like it, too.

Calmegja2
04-24-2013, 07:55 AM
Our house is obsessed with the Doctor.

My Iphone case is even a Tardis. As are all my ringtones...

#mightneedanintervention

Our youngest is ten. He started watching when he was 9. With very few exceptions- he has been able to watch every episode. His best friend gets bothered by the Weeping Angels ( don't blink!), but my kids have just been sucked right in. We love it.

We have watched every episode of the new reboot, which began in 2005.

Actually- we have watched all of them multiple times. LOL

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0436992/

It's wonderful.

And yes. I like my bad guys to have toilet plungers for arms. No judging. ;)

Calmegja2
04-24-2013, 07:58 AM
I have a thing about starting series from the very beginning, so I've never gotten into Dr. Who -- but I'm intrigued. Is there a good, more recent, starting point? I think 10-year old DS1 would really like it, too.

Yes. Start with season 1 of the new reboot, which began in 2005. The older ones are great, but the new ones? Will blow you away. There have been three doctors in the new reboot. 9 is series 1, then you get 10 ( the amazing David Tennant), and now 11, Matt Smith, my rubbery faced love. Give yourself a few episodes to get sucked in.

It's cool if you like Harry Potter, too. Because large amounts of the Potter cast show up in the episodes. And there's a lot of talk of Fred/George being the next doctor.

egoldber
04-24-2013, 08:00 AM

My older DD is really not at all interested in the older series. She started watching with the 10th doctor (approx. 2005). She came in the middle of a series, finished that series, then watched all the older ones with that doctor from the beginning on-line or on Netflix. Her fav is the 11th doctor though. :)

Gena
04-24-2013, 08:39 AM
DS is 9 and has been watching Doctor Who with us the past couple of years. He doesn't really follow the stories (he generally doesn't when watching TV), but he likes the music and the visual effects.

My co-worker's kids watch it and they range in age from 9-13. They have been watching for the past couple of years.

FYI - Doctor Who has 2 spin-off series. The Sarah Jane Adventures is no longer produced due to the death of star Elisabeth Sladen, but can be found on Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, etc. This show is very family friendly. Torchwood is an amazing show but is definitely NOT child friendly.

lizzywednesday
04-24-2013, 08:41 AM
The new ones? 10 or 11.

The classic ones? I've been watching the 4th Doctor (Tom Baker) since forever.

And I <3 the ComiCon photo!!! It reminds me of the time I dressed as the Doctor & dressed my brother Ger as K-9 for a library "party" as part of their summer reading project.

dogmom
04-24-2013, 10:24 AM
Well, we watch Once Upon a Time with my 6 and 10 yo, and I think that can be scarier. I think the major thing is to watch it with them as a family activity. We did watch the Christmas Episode that loosely Narnia based. We also watched this years Christmas episode, but my DD decided it was too scary for her, so we stopped. Of course with her I never know how much she is scared and how much she is bored and wants me to turn the TV off to play with her, since she knows "I'm scared" instantly stops any activity. Also know your kids, kids are different. We just watched The 13th Warrior with my son because we knew he would be into it. It's pretty bloody.

LBW
04-24-2013, 10:37 AM
Thanks - I just added the new series to Netflix. We'll try it out this week!

Thanks, too, OP for starting this thread!

ellies mom
04-24-2013, 11:07 AM
Definitely start with the 9th doctor at the reboot.

One way to look at it is that Dr Who is the family show, Sarah Jane is the kid's show and Torchwood is the adult show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calmegja2
04-24-2013, 12:40 PM
Definitely start with the 9th doctor at the reboot.

One way to look at it is that Dr Who is the family show, Sarah Jane is the kid's show and Torchwood is the adult show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly right!

And people pop up on Sarah Jane. And by people, I mean The Doctor. LOL