PDA

View Full Version : Metformin while nursing?

AngB
04-23-2013, 07:07 PM
I have PCOS although my bloodwork has mostly been decent. I have been on and off met several times over the years, but not during my pregnancies. After DS2 I have been struggling to lose the baby weight and my skin has been awful so my OB let me go back on met extended release. I have been taking it (1500 mg, 3 pills, I take during 3 different times of the day) a few days- it has been fine for me but poor DS2 has been miserable with gas. This is the only thing I can think of that's changed. (He's almost 6 months, ebf, has had gas here and there but nothing like this.)

Should I quit the met altogether while he is nursing? (I haven't taken it since yesterday afternoon when it became clear by evening how miserable he was and he has been much better today.) Start over at 500 mg and build the dose up over several wks?

Anyone have any experience with this?

Suzan
05-13-2013, 03:10 PM
I only nursed for a couple months due to a low supply but I was taking 2000mg of metformin a day with Little Miss and she had gas issues too tho that did not change when we went fully to formula. The doctors I had told me to just keep taking it since I was on them through the whole pregnancy. Not sure if that helps at all but hopefully will give the post a bump for you. :)

brittone2
05-13-2013, 03:52 PM
I took Metformin while Bfing my 2nd and 3rd children. I didn't notice any issues with gas with my children while taking it (2000 mg XR 1x a day).

AngB
05-13-2013, 10:34 PM
Thanks! Now that he has started eating some solids I may try to slowly go back on them and see how it goes, I have 500 mg pills so I can start with that and work my way up to the 1500.

zukeypur
05-13-2013, 11:13 PM
I took it with no problems, but a friend of mine had trouble with the extended release. She switched to the regular and her stomach issues resolved.

cntrymoon2
05-15-2013, 03:52 AM
I took 2000 mg XR during pregnancy and nursing, didn't notice any specific gas issues with DD. She had reflux, but that was related to her prematurity.