PDA

View Full Version : Dog owners: taking a walk and the inevitable dog poop

wendibird22
04-24-2013, 11:40 AM
Ok dog owners, when you take your pet for a walk what do you do with the poop after you've picked it up? I love taking the dog for a walk but I LOATHE carrying a bag of poop for a mile. It never fails that my dog poops 5 min into the walk and more often than not at least 1-2 more times. We have one of those little clip on baggie holders which is great for keeping those handy. But nothing drives me more nuts than holding a leash in one hand and swinging a bag (or likely 2) of dog poop in the other. What do you do?

twowhat?
04-24-2013, 11:49 AM
I swing a bag or two of poop. Hahaha. Unless there's a public trash can somehwere, I don't know what else you could do. Make the dog carry it?

elizabethkott
04-24-2013, 12:12 PM
I deliberatly walk a route with multiple public trash cans on it for this reason. ;)
Failing that, if we're away at my IL's or on the Cape and it's a route I know as a "down and back" (ie. down to such-and-such road and back the same way), I'll leave the plastic bag somewhere unobtrusive and pick it up on the way back.
If it's a circular route... I suck it up and carry it. Which *really* sucks, because I have two dogs, and thus double the poop.

gamma
04-24-2013, 12:18 PM
Great question! We have a new puppy and I am facing the same challenge. However, I also don't like it when someone is walking their dog and then they place the bag of poop in my empty trash can. Then, especially in summer, I am stuck with someone's dog poop smelling up my can and yard until next trash day! My empty can would sit at the curb until I came home from work to bring it in. On the other hand I can see why people do it, not wanting to carry the bag around.

AnnieW625
04-24-2013, 12:28 PM
We always pick it up. Yes sometimes I hate picking it and carrying it for a mile, but I think it is a common courtesy and I don't like it when others dogs poop on my lawn.

maestramommy
04-24-2013, 12:33 PM
I run with Shep and don't like to carry the poop for miles and miles because it's just an ergonomical nightmare. I leave it on a corner close to the street, and pick it up on the way back. Occasionally I have forgotten, then I'll drive by later and pick it up. My run contains several laps around a loop so I drop the poop at the end of the loop. I have another spot on a corner if Shep poops right at the beginning. I do not let him poop any time he wants, he has to wait until we're close to one of the drop off points.

We live in a neighborhood where the corner houses are so far from the street I'd be surprised if the owner ever notices the poop there. It's in a gray bag that blends in really well with the gravel borders.

flashy09
04-24-2013, 12:38 PM
I bring another plastic bag from the supermarket and put the little dog poop bags in that and then tie the big bag in a knot and put it in the storage area under my stroller.

crl
04-24-2013, 12:38 PM
I swing a bag or two of poop. Hahaha. Unless there's a public trash can somehwere, I don't know what else you could do. Make the dog carry it?

:yeahthat: I do often have dd with me and so she is in the stroller. In that case I put the bag under the stroller until we get home.

Catherine

twowhat?
04-24-2013, 12:39 PM
Great question! We have a new puppy and I am facing the same challenge. However, I also don't like it when someone is walking their dog and then they place the bag of poop in my empty trash can. Then, especially in summer, I am stuck with someone's dog poop smelling up my can and yard until next trash day! My empty can would sit at the curb until I came home from work to bring it in. On the other hand I can see why people do it, not wanting to carry the bag around.

Yeah, this is why I won't toss it into someone else's garbage can! The only time I've ever done this is when it is actually trash day and I know the truck hasn't come around yet.

Nooknookmom
04-24-2013, 01:03 PM
It doesn't bother me -however, we happen to live right in our little historical downtown and here are trash receptacles on each block. They finally installed poop bag stations w/ bags!

If I walk the "other way" which is in the residential area I just carry the poop home and dump it in our trash.

I've carried poop for 22 years and through 5 German shepherds - I guess I'm ok with poo!

wendibird22
04-24-2013, 01:13 PM
I do not let him poop any time he wants, he has to wait until we're close to one of the drop off points.

Good boy Shep! I do try to get Brady to wait but one time I almost had my arm ripped out of its socket cause he dug his paws in and wasn't moving until he pooped. Oh and did I mention that he poop walks, like in a circle. He doesn't just squat in one place until he's done. No walks around sniffing in his hunched over poop position and I have to pick up little pieces from 10 different places in a 3ft radius.

It doesn't bother me -however, we happen to live right in our little historical downtown and here are trash receptacles on each block. They finally installed poop bag stations w/ bags!

Oh that sounds like heaven! I'm in rural farm land area. No poop bag stations even on our quaint main street.

niccig
04-24-2013, 01:27 PM

I hate this too. At our old house, the trash cans were kept at end of driveway, but visible from the street. People would walk up the driveway (short) and put poop in a can, but it was never the trash can. They would throw it in the recycling or the garden waste. As they lived in the area, they would've known it was the wrong can. I made a sign and stuck to each trash can "put YOUR dog poo in YOUR trash." It happened a lot less after that.

hellokitty
04-24-2013, 01:42 PM
I just carry it. Luckily, our new dog only likes to do his biz on our yard, so its usually a non-issue. However, I always carry a baggie just in case.

JBaxter
04-24-2013, 02:06 PM
I tie the baggy on Pepper's collar and make him carry it. :D

Momit
04-24-2013, 02:18 PM
I was reading this as I walked with a bag of poop in my hand! We usually don't have to carry it the whole way, though. Our neighborhood has quite a few trash cans along the sidewalks and in the parks so we drop it in the first chance we get. If it happens close to home DS likes to deliver it to the can that's in the alley behind our house.

MamaMolly
04-24-2013, 03:24 PM
Our neighborhood has a lot of homes with in-ground trashcans between the sidewalks and the street, so I put the poop bag in which ever one is handy. Sometimes if I'm close to home I just take it with me. The joys of small dogs and small poops!

oneplustwo
04-24-2013, 09:59 PM
Am I the only one finding this thread funny? :)

Our pup usually insists on doing little quarter turns as she poops, so I'm constantly trying to keep her from stepping on it. Drives me nuts.

In our rural-ish surburban neighborhood there are no public trashcans. I usually walk our puppy a certain distance out and back; if she poops before the halfway mark (she almost always does), I bag it and leave it to pick up on the return; there are so few people around no one is going to notice it. I do sometimes forget but pick it up later in the day, again way before anyone would come across it. We've only had our dog since the fall, and pretty early on I was burned by a filled bag that split open and got all over my pants as I was walking, so I don't swing that bag in such a carefree manner any more.

MamaInMarch
04-25-2013, 04:39 AM
This thread makes me exceptionally glad that my Chihuahua refuses to poop anywhere other than his own lawn. He once went 3 days because we had had our lawn treated so I was walking him down the street to go. I finally had to let him on the lawn and just put him in the tub after each poo. What a long week that was.

hellokitty
04-25-2013, 08:35 AM
This thread makes me exceptionally glad that my Chihuahua refuses to poop anywhere other than his own lawn. He once went 3 days because we had had our lawn treated so I was walking him down the street to go. I finally had to let him on the lawn and just put him in the tub after each poo. What a long week that was.

Lol, yes, this sounds like something my dog would do too, it has been a bit of a PITA when we go to my parents and take the dog with us. He'll pee, but he won't poop away from home. Maybe it is a smaller breed issue. He is even weird about wanting to do his business on the back lawn vs. the front, since the back lawn is where we trained him to go out at. Although, my prior dog (min pin), used to pee to mark ALL of the time when she went on walks.

I tie the baggy on Pepper's collar and make him carry it. :D

Ha, ha, I mentioned this to my DH and he started cracking up and said it was a good idea! I am thankful we have a small dog with small poops.

hillview
04-25-2013, 09:22 AM
we carry it. that said the dog has a place he was trained to go on the side of our house. He poops there 90% of the time before or after a long walk. Rarely poops on the long walk.

glbb35
04-25-2013, 09:33 AM
I feel your pain. I love to walk the dog too but hate carting around poop. Usually we end up coming back the way we came so I will set it down and then on the return pick it up. If we decided in advance not to come back the way we came then I usually tie it on to the leash and the dog carries it! On trash pick up days I too will throw it away in someone's can. Our neighborhood has become very picky on this subject. To the point where they are fining people if they catch them for allowing their dogs to poop and then it doesn't get picked up. At first I rolled my eyes but a few months ago on a nice winter afternoon, two of my kids ran through a big pile of poop at the end of our yard. We have no front yard so some idiot let their dog just crap on the lawn next to the house and they were ok with that. We had to throw one pair of shoes away as they couldn't be washed. Now I am really vigilant about dog's poop being picked up. That smell still lingers with me!!! I am also now a big supporter of the fining especially with repeat offenders.

B

DS 03, 06, twins 09, 11

doberbrat
04-25-2013, 09:34 AM
Carry it or put it in a public trash can or a dumpster. Unless its trash day. If its trash day and there is no lid on the trashcan, I'll put it in there with the bag closed.

I'd be Horrified to see someone walk onto my property and put something in my trash. Just seems really really rude.

wendibird22
04-25-2013, 10:30 AM
Might have to try tying it to the leash. I do think my dog poops 2-3x per walk just to spite me and make me carry his poop as payment for making him poop in public. :rotflmao:

oneplustwo
05-02-2013, 10:47 AM
I've been meaning to ask ~ what do you all do with the bagged poop if you don't have a public trash receptacle to dispose in? I have just been putting it in our regular kitchen trash can but now our pup's poop actually smells, which it didn't before, or not nearly as bad (maybe b/c she's fully grown now or from a recent change in her food, who knows) so I don't want to do that any more; even in the bag there is still an odor, yuck. I think I need a doggie diaper genie . . .

twowhat?
05-02-2013, 11:24 AM
I've been meaning to ask ~ what do you all do with the bagged poop if you don't have a public trash receptacle to dispose in? I have just been putting it in our regular kitchen trash can but now our pup's poop actually smells, which it didn't before, or not nearly as bad (maybe b/c she's fully grown now or from a recent change in her food, who knows) so I don't want to do that any more; even in the bag there is still an odor, yuck. I think I need a doggie diaper genie . . .

We leave the bags in the back yard (away from the house!) or hidden behind a bush in the front yard until trash day and then take it out with the trash on trash days. No way I'd have it inside the house!! It reeks!

oneplustwo
05-02-2013, 07:37 PM
Our pup's bagged stuff doesn't smell that bad, but it's not odorless like I swear it was when she was younger. Maybe it helps that she's a smallish dog. I'm thinking of putting a small container with a good seal in the garage next to the regular trash can to collect all the bags now.

BabyBearsMom
05-02-2013, 07:43 PM
I tie the bag to the bottom of the retractable plastic leash and let it dangle.

miki
05-02-2013, 08:30 PM
Oh and did I mention that he poop walks, like in a circle. He doesn't just squat in one place until he's done. No walks around sniffing in his hunched over poop position and I have to pick up little pieces from 10 different places in a 3ft radius.

I thought I was the only one with a dog like this. :P