PDA

View Full Version : Keep or toss? Left groceries in car :(

barkley1
04-24-2013, 12:34 PM
Of course, the few bags I overlooked had refrigerated stuff :P. yesterday was a cooler day (60's) but the car was not in the garage so it was a little warm in there when i discovered them, but def not hot. I'm definitely tossing the hummus, the cilantro seems ok, just a little "sweaty" from the plastic bag it was in. I'm wondering about the shredded cheese....three bags. I haven't opened them yet, but if they smell and look fine, will they be ok? Seems processed enough to be ok, but I don't know...

vonfirmath
04-24-2013, 01:23 PM
Veggies should be fine.

I'd keep the shredded cheese if it didn't melt and become impossible to use. I can't think of anything invisible that would be a problem there.

Philly Mom
04-24-2013, 01:43 PM
Cheese does not actually need to be refridgerated. I have hiked for 10 days with a block of cheese in my backpack (I don't eat peanut butter) and while the cheese changed shapes often, it was always good to eat.

Binkandabee
04-24-2013, 02:11 PM
How long were they left in the car? I'm leaning towards keeping the cheese...if it was bad, surely you would smell it?

sunshine873
04-24-2013, 02:42 PM
I'd keep the cheese as long as it didn't melt. And the only reason I'd get rid of it if it melted would be because it would be difficult to use!

bisous
04-24-2013, 03:02 PM
Cheese does not actually need to be refridgerated. I have hiked for 10 days with a block of cheese in my backpack (I don't eat peanut butter) and while the cheese changed shapes often, it was always good to eat.

Really? I guess it doesn't surprise me. Cheese is often kept for hours at room temperature in France and it is always just fine. I'd definitely be okay with keeping the cheese!