PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me about grant writing?

Melaine
04-24-2013, 01:17 PM
Exploring potential job opportunity. I know little about grants but I'm a fast and proficient writer. This would actually be for an organization that I have interest in. But again, I know nothing about the job...can anyone provide any info on the field? Thank you!

AnnieW625
04-24-2013, 01:24 PM
I would look at taking some extension classes at your local community college or university. I would call the local Chamber of Commerce and see if they can rec. a class or workshop on them.

I am involved in my local Junior League and have gotten some wonderful grant writing training there. I was actually chair of the committee in 2011-2012. I wrote a grant that was valued at $5,000 for our league.

Have you volunteered with the organization of interest? If so that might be a place to start.

Good luck!

Melaine
04-24-2013, 01:32 PM
I would look at taking some extension classes at your local community college or university. I would call the local Chamber of Commerce and see if they can rec. a class or workshop on them.

I am involved in my local Junior League and have gotten some wonderful grant writing training there. I was actually chair of the committee in 2011-2012. I wrote a grant that was valued at $5,000 for our league.

Have you volunteered with the organization of interest? If so that might be a place to start.

Good luck!

Thanks Annie....great ideas!

hellokitty
04-24-2013, 01:39 PM
Check your community library. Outs regularly offers grant writing classes. There is also a local non-profit that specifically helps women to write grants for women related programs and project. Your local chamber of commerce could probably help to point you in the right direction.

AnnieW625
04-24-2013, 01:59 PM
Thanks Annie....great ideas!

I highly rec. looking at joining a Jr. League if you have one in your area. I get a lot from my small little league and from the national organization. There are so many different facets to the league from legislation to school programs to invaluable trainings, and events to get to know the community. It is great for networking. It isn't just one type of person who joins the league.

Momit
04-24-2013, 02:24 PM
My aunt did one of the grant writing classes a while ago and highly recommended it. She did it for a service dog foundation where she was also a volunteer. I considered doing it at one point as well, then life got crazy and I never pursued it. But I think I still have the info in my email. I will PM you if I find anything helpful.

kdeunc
04-24-2013, 02:54 PM
The difficulty of the job would really depend on what type of grants they are trying to secure. Writing for state and federal funds can be a huge pain and very tedious. I also suggest taking a class.

kdeunc
04-24-2013, 03:05 PM
Melanie,
I don't know where you are located but noticed you posted a link to the News and Observer in the BP. If you are in NC the nc center for nonprofits (ncnonprofits.org) has a good website and the Duke nonprofit management program has several good grantwriting classes available. If you are not here, just ignore! :)

marymoo86
04-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Aren't there a couple of posters that do grant writing? I am blanking on the usernames but I remember this being an occupation.