PDA

View Full Version : WWYD TBall Snack Schedule and Nut Allergies/Etiquette Question

Kindra178
04-24-2013, 04:25 PM
DS1's tball team is very well run with committed coaches. Because you stay on the same team every year from k-2/3, many of the parents/coaches know each other from years past. They decided that it is much easier for every parent to give $20 now and they will be responsible for bringing snack every for all 18 games. I am thrilled with this idea. There are sometimes three games a week, including on weekdays. I would prefer to not have to buy snacks for the whole team. Here is my question: should I assume that whatever snack they provide will be nut free or do I gently send a reminder email (or say something in person)?

On one hand, I really want to be believe that this group would be cognizant of this, but frankly, I have been super surprised in the past. How about this:

Thanks for spearheading this effort. I will pay our $20 tonight. I did want to mention that ds1 has multiple nut allergies. He does eat food processed in a facility with peanuts and tree nuts, but can't have anything where the food was processed on the same equipment as peanuts or tree nuts. Let me know if want snack ideas, or I would be happy to bring DS1's snack too. Go Reds!

megs4413
04-24-2013, 04:29 PM
I think your email is a good idea.

crl
04-24-2013, 04:40 PM
I think your email sounds good.

Catherine

123LuckyMom
04-24-2013, 04:49 PM
I'd definitely send the email just in case!

What a great thing to have all the snacks taken care of! I'm jealous!

cono0507
04-24-2013, 04:54 PM
That's what we have done. I usually end up coordinating snacks and send out an email about my son's allergies and ask anyone else with food allergies to let us know too. It has been working well for the last 3 yrs of soccer for us.

Eta: I also always keep a back up snack in his soccer bag in case someone does bring a snack he can't have.

tg_canada
04-24-2013, 05:00 PM
This isn't quite what you wanted, but I'll let you know what I'd do just so you have another perspective. My child is anaphylactic to tree nuts. And I would explain politely that we wouldn't be participating but that I would send my child her own snack.

There are too many things that could go wrong, nuts in blender at someone's house, then they make "nut free" hummus for snack. They use a knife for almond butter, then use it to cut fruit. They bring a packaged item in a bowl they normally use for mixed nuts. I've found that many people just don't get it since they don't deal with it on a daily basis. And death is too high of a risk IMO.

You don't know how many parents have told me, "well you have her EpiPen right?" And they have the misconception that you give the kid a poke and they're fine and can go on playing.

That being said, your approach is polite and I absolutely think you need to say something if you're comfortable with participating. Never assume people know as even those that know often don't know...like the people trying to feed my kid a snack with almonds because they're aren't any "nuts" in it; thinking that a kid allergic to nuts is only allergic to peanuts.

YouAreTheFocus
04-24-2013, 05:01 PM
I think your email sounds fine. Do they tend to give shelf stable things like granola bars, or perishable items? If it is the former I might be tempted to nominate myself as the snack purchaser (although I do recognize you said you don't want to be responsible for providing the snack for the whole team). This might be one of those "easier to do it yourself" situations (while also providing you peace of mind). If it is prepackaged stuff, maybe you could buy it all in one go and then just drop it off to the coaches.

MMMommy
04-24-2013, 05:10 PM
Not a parent of a child with FA, but I think your email sounds fine. However, to be safe, I would probably send DC in with their own snack instead. You just never know how on top of things the snack provider will be about providing a snack that is safe for your DC. They may forget on any given day about what is or isn't a safe snack. For peace of mind, I think it is safer to just have DC to always eat a snack provided by you.

Kindra178
04-24-2013, 06:46 PM
I think your email sounds fine. Do they tend to give shelf stable things like granola bars, or perishable items? If it is the former I might be tempted to nominate myself as the snack purchaser (although I do recognize you said you don't want to be responsible for providing the snack for the whole team). This might be one of those "easier to do it yourself" situations (while also providing you peace of mind). If it is prepackaged stuff, maybe you could buy it all in one go and then just drop it off to the coaches.

Thanks everyone. Pretty sure they are going to go to Costco and stock up for the whole season. I sent the email.

ahisma
04-24-2013, 07:42 PM
I think your email was great.

I also think that it would have been just fine to include a list of good options, especially since I'm sure you know them backwards and forwards. 'd preface it with something like, "I know that reading labels can be a hassle, some good easy to find options are: A, B, C, D", and then just list the things at Costco where they shop.

(ETA: I don't think it's a hassle to read labels for food allergies, I was just trying to find a way to word it that couldn't be read as condescending or controlling)

BunnyBee
04-24-2013, 07:48 PM
I think your email is polite and not out of line, but I wouldn't trust coaches to read labels as thoroughly as I would for my child. I would volunteer to be the snack purchaser for the team if I could.

alexsmommy
04-24-2013, 08:05 PM
...and then keep an appropriate snack as an alternative in the baseball bag. Trust me.

DS1 knows not to eat the snack unless he can't eat the team snack and he's made it weeks before needing it, but generally he inevitably needs it.

My favorites...

"I thought about how much I loved Cracker Jacks as a kid so I hunted all over until I found them - isn't that fun!"

"I came up with the best idea last night while I was baking the birthday cake... what could be better than a Nutella filling!" I had to gently tell the mom that she might want to make a general announcement vs just telling me in passing as it looked like a chocolate filling and I wouldn't have thought anything of giving a piece to DS1. She did feel horrible and two other kids had to pass. Her husband offered to run out and get them cupcakes, but of course the parents said not to worry.

"Oh, I didn't know you could be allergic to anything except peanuts..." DS1 is not, but he told this mom that he was allergic to ground nuts and the parent didn't know what this meant. So he explained and she was arguing with him that that is why she put walnuts in the brownies, "Everyone can have them then." DS1 let me know and I once again gently informed this person that while DS1 could have the brownies, other children may not be able to.

We usually have back up snacks on had anytime there is a team/group snack involved just to be safe.