PDA

View Full Version : Two weeks to moving day!

kaitlyns.mom
04-24-2013, 05:45 PM
We closed escrow on our new house yesterday :yay: and have the movers scheduled for two weeks from now. I've been packing here and there throughout the last two weeks but we have a ways to go. Also getting rid of tons of stuff! Where should I be in the process? Are we at the point where we pack up dishes, pots and pans and live on takeout? Or is that at the 1-week mark?

We get our keys Saturday morning and will be painting (some ourselves, some hired), installing new carpet upstairs and a few other smallish repairs. DH will still be working most days so I'll have to see if I can accomplish much with the kids while he's away.

vonfirmath
04-24-2013, 05:56 PM
We closed escrow on our new house yesterday :yay: and have the movers scheduled for two weeks from now. I've been packing here and there throughout the last two weeks but we have a ways to go. Also getting rid of tons of stuff! Where should I be in the process? Are we at the point where we pack up dishes, pots and pans and live on takeout? Or is that at the 1-week mark?

We get our keys Saturday morning and will be painting (some ourselves, some hired), installing new carpet upstairs and a few other smallish repairs. DH will still be working most days so I'll have to see if I can accomplish much with the kids while he's away.

Given the last sentence, I'd pack up dishes when you have a chance and use paper plates thereafter.

We had a month of living in two houses as we fixed up the new house before moving in and we lived on paper plates in both for quite a bit of it. (We painted the entire inside of house, redid most of the flooring, replaced and painted all the rotting molding outside, replaced broken screens, and changed out the back sliding glass door for French doors -- as well as several other fixes.)

lmwbasye
04-24-2013, 06:29 PM
My packers come Monday for our overseas move and I have nothing done. :banghead: Ah! Granted I'm on 2 hours of sleep, DH is deployed, I'm homeschooling, and just exhausted at the end of this deployment, but still. Need to get it together. At least set aside some clothes for the four of us for the next two months so the movers don't pack them. Oy!

I wouldn't recommend my method. :shake: Good luck on the move. I would say you have time. Just get a little done each day and keep an eye on that deadline. :love-retry:

AnnieW625
04-24-2013, 07:14 PM
If your movers are scheduled pack everything then there is no need to live on takeout unless you want to. If you have to pack yourself I would start now and plan on packing the plates last or pack them now and just use plastic cups, forks, and plates. Make it easy on yourself:):boogie:

What paint did you choose?

kaitlyns.mom
04-24-2013, 07:46 PM
If your movers are scheduled pack everything then there is no need to live on takeout unless you want to. If you have to pack yourself I would start now and plan on packing the plates last or pack them now and just use plastic cups, forks, and plates. Make it easy on yourself:):boogie:

What paint did you choose?

We're packing everything ourselves to save what we can on the move.

We ended up getting Sherwin-Williams since they had their 40% off paint sale last weekend. :applause: We got Watery for DS's room, Friendly Yellow for DD's room, and the rest we bought untinted so we could take advantage of the sale. We'll be taking our samples over to the new house on Saturday to paint some swatches on the walls and finally settle on a color for the main living spaces. :)

AnnieW625
04-25-2013, 01:20 PM
We're packing everything ourselves to save what we can on the move.

We ended up getting Sherwin-Williams since they had their 40% off paint sale last weekend. :applause: We got Watery for DS's room, Friendly Yellow for DD's room, and the rest we bought untinted so we could take advantage of the sale. We'll be taking our samples over to the new house on Saturday to paint some swatches on the walls and finally settle on a color for the main living spaces. :)

Yay! Can't wait to see some photos if you choose to post them. We had great luck with Sherwin Williams paint when we painted DD1's room. Everyone kept telling us to use Benjamin Moore Aura, but we used SW's Harmony and it was a okay and comparable to the Dunn Edwards we had previously used in the house (but didn't that time because I was pregnant and DH didn't want me breathing too many paint fumes). Plus we got a AAA discount on it and you can't find BM discounts at all.

kaitlyns.mom
04-25-2013, 01:40 PM
Yay! Can't wait to see some photos if you choose to post them. We had great luck with Sherwin Williams paint when we painted DD1's room. Everyone kept telling us to use Benjamin Moore Aura, but we used SW's Harmony and it was a okay and comparable to the Dunn Edwards we had previously used in the house (but didn't that time because I was pregnant and DH didn't want me breathing too many paint fumes). Plus we got a AAA discount on it and you can't find BM discounts at all.

I will definitely post pics! We are getting very excited. :)