PDA

View Full Version : Persian cats non-allergenic?

bisous
04-24-2013, 06:16 PM
SIL swears her girls had no reaction to her neighbor's Persian cats. She says her neighbor says their "fur" is non-allergenic. I had never heard this before. Anyone have experience with this?

(Oh HOW I would love to get a kitty--but DH is quite allergic!)

AnnieW625
04-24-2013, 06:18 PM
It has been a really long time, but my great aunt had Persian cats and I vaguely remember sneezing when I was at their house. I was in my teens then though.

StantonHyde
04-24-2013, 06:27 PM
The first time I realized I was allergic to cats was when I house sat for a Persian cat!

HipMama
04-24-2013, 06:28 PM
I thought it was the dander, not the hair

bisous
04-24-2013, 06:30 PM
Ugh. A google search came up with similar answers. Oh well. I like DH better. Usually. :)

crayonblue
04-24-2013, 07:00 PM
Unfortunately there is no such thing as a non-allergenic cat!!!!

minnie-zb
04-24-2013, 07:44 PM
Dander is what aggravates the allergies. The reason the kids might not have been bothered is the persian owner might have them bathed regularly -- which would cut down on dander and if they are light colored cats they will also have less dander. Black cats have the worst dander.

MichelleRC
04-24-2013, 08:15 PM
I am allergic to cats, but we have a Siamese that we got as a kitten. He is 13 now. I am generally fine with him, just need to wash my hands after petting him. Occasionally my eyes get irritated when i wake up and find him sleeping on my head, lol! I remember reading that Siamese have one coat of hair/fur (?), they do not have the undercoat which is what many people have reactions to. We like the show Too Cute on Animal Planet, and they featured Siberian cats. Those are supposed to be good for people with allergies too.

melwe
04-24-2013, 11:05 PM
I think Persians are one of the worse breeds for my cat allergies.

You could always consider a Cornish or Devon Rex. They are not completely hypoallergenic but some people do better with them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornish_Rex

Although not everyone can "appreciate" their appearance or the price tag!