PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have oak, stained trim in house (not painted or enameled white)?

ourbabygirl
04-25-2013, 08:41 AM
What colors of paint do you do with it? I see so many fun colors schemes in rooms online, but the trim is always white, so really, anything goes with white. It's harder to come up with something pretty & creative with plain oak (kind of honey-colored wood) trim.

Do you have any good colors or ideas to share, or links to some cute rooms online? I'm looking especially for something for a girl's and boy's room. In our current house, we have a pretty soft green in one room, and a pretty buttery yellow in the other room, but it would be nice to have more options. DD is 4, and would like something with green, blue, and a bit of purple, and I'm not sure in which direction to go. I would look on Pinterest but don't really want to join in order to browse.

Thanks! :)

scrooks
04-25-2013, 08:46 AM
We do. I dislike it : ( but honestly we don't avoid certain colors because of it. I have heard of some people doing that but we don't. We also only have crown just in our dining room and the rest of the house it's just the base boards and window trim (maybe not as oaky as if we had crown everywhere). I can send pictures of my nursery and DD's room later if you want to see the paint colors.

MontrealMum
04-25-2013, 10:32 AM
We do. I also didn't like it at first because it makes the house seem darker in the winter months. We have wood floors and baseboards throughout, and wainscotting in the hall and dining room. In my office the window frame is still plain wood, in the rest of the house they'd been painted and so we continued to do that, but in white. Ceilings and crown moldings are white.

For walls we've used a bright, lemon yellow, a minty-aqua green, a mid purple-ish blue, and (this was a mistake) a pinkish beige. Although I wanted to go very light - for brightness - I found that it was best to go 2-3 levels up on the paint chip in order to get the color to stand out against the oak. Does that make sense? I'm sure you could go darker if you wanted, it's just, for us, that darkness is an issue at some times of the year so I wanted to stay light.

crl
04-25-2013, 10:34 AM
We have always had white trim, so no ideas from me. But here are some visuals for you: http://www.houzz.com/oak-trim

Catherine

Kindra178
04-25-2013, 10:48 AM
We have always had white trim, so no ideas from me. But here are some visuals for you: http://www.houzz.com/oak-trim

Catherine

Love these. Thank you.

gatorsmom
04-25-2013, 11:23 AM
We had it in our last house and I initially hated it. But then it grew on me. It feels very warm and welcoming.

We noticed that natural colors go well with it. Primary colors do not go well with it, IMHO. We used SW Gourmet Mushroom and variations of that same color throughout the main floor of our house. I really liked how well it coordinated. Hth

BabbyO
04-25-2013, 11:57 AM
I didn't know you couldn't do certain colors with the honey-oak trim. That is what we have everywhere in our house. DH and I have a periwinkle color on our walls, Stachio has a blue-green color (I don't recall the name of it), our kitchen is SW Ancient marble, our livingroom and hall are SW Basket Beige, Peanut has a spring-y green on one wall, the periwinkle from our room on one wall, the blue-green from Stachio's room on one wall and a lemon yellow color on the 4th wall with Dr. Seuss murals. Our main bathroom is SW Jubilee

BabbyO
04-25-2013, 12:00 PM
Here are a few others. What amazes me is the pics of Stachio's room...the paint color hasn't changed at all just the accessories/decorating and they look completely different.

As you can see in some rooms we have painted window sills (with oak trim in the rest of the room), some they are the honey oak.

The green on the wall with the window in Peanut's room is the same as the original green in the room. We just painted the other 3 walls colors from elsewhere in the house.