PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone severely purged their closet?

minnie-zb
04-25-2013, 10:50 AM
I enjoy buying new clothes, but I don't always make wise decisions. I'm really working on this, but it is a process and doesn't happen overnight. I'm in the process of transitioning my wardrobe and packing up my fall/winter clothes to pull out summer. I'm one of these people who has plenty of clothes but I either wear the same things again and again or I can't find anything I want to wear. I'm not very good at being a stylist -- another skill I'm trying to improve.

I weeded out several pieces to donate from the winter stuff -- I'm pretty much removing all of the items I didn't wear this year.

Sooo, now it is time to pull out my summer stuff and I'm contemplating doing a harsh purge. I have a lot of t-shirts which are okay and wearable, but don't get much love and I think I want to really pare them down and maybe keep only 14 t-shirts. Why do I need more? I'm also hoping if I can thin my wardrobe maybe I will be better about wearing more of the items I like vs. wearing the same things over and over. Does that make sense?

Thoughts? Tips? Want to purge together? :D

lizzywednesday
04-25-2013, 11:06 AM
It seems like every time I purge my closet it's a "scorched earth" purge.

DH thinks it's stupid, but, frankly, I don't have the space to continue to store all the event tees and too-small tops/dresses, etc., that I have hanging in my closets or folded in my drawers.

wendibird22
04-25-2013, 11:10 AM
This blog has changed the way I view my wardrobe. http://www.puttingmetogether.com

She has a section on building a wardrobe from scratch and also on making a remix able wardrobe. I'm amazed at home much I've been able to shop my closet and I hardly ever wear the same thing twice (and if I do it's like months apart).

Melaine
04-25-2013, 11:16 AM
This blog has changed the way I view my wardrobe. http://www.puttingmetogether.com

She has a section on building a wardrobe from scratch and also on making a remix able wardrobe. I'm amazed at home much I've been able to shop my closet and I hardly ever wear the same thing twice (and if I do it's like months apart).

I found this through the BBB and love it! It has changed my perspective though I haven't done to much differently yet. I HAVE done a huge purge this year though HUGE.

edurnemk
04-25-2013, 12:13 PM
Yes I have and it was sooo liberating. I like purging, but after DD was born I realized I had a TON of stuff accumulated from different phases of my life: work clothes, clothes from all the way back when I was in college, maternity clothes, nursing clothes, regular clothes, clothes I never used anymore but held unto "JIC" or because I though I might wear them again someday... I did a ruthless purge, established hard rules: if something hadn't been worn in 2-3 years it went straight to the donation pile, period. If I had too many of a type of item I chose a few (like 5, depending on the item) and the rest went out the door. Some items I was unsure about, had a hard time letting go, so I tried them all on, and what do you know, they looked awful, didn't fit well anymore or they'd gone out of style. I realized as much as I loved these I wouldn't be happy wearing them because of all those reasons. I also put ALL the maternity items in our storage unit, because we're not sure we're done.

As a result I rediscovered several pieces that had been neglected and I felt like I had bought new clothes! It's also easier to put outfits together now without all the distracting clutter in the closet.

1mom2dylan
04-25-2013, 12:18 PM
Yes, I cleaned out my closet recently and sent everything unwanted to Thredup.

cono0507
04-25-2013, 12:22 PM
I purge my closet frequently and recently did a big purge. I tried on every single item. If it didn't fit well and wasn't something I'd want to wear regularly, out it went. No more shirts or pants that are "almost right."
It does sound cliche but I really feel like I have more clothes now because when I go in my closet I can actually see all of my things and they all truly fit me and are things I want to wear. I'm so glad to have done it and honestly haven't missed anything I purged.

Katigre
04-25-2013, 01:05 PM
I enjoy buying new clothes, but I don't always make wise decisions. I'm really working on this, but it is a process and doesn't happen overnight. I'm in the process of transitioning my wardrobe and packing up my fall/winter clothes to pull out summer. I'm one of these people who has plenty of clothes but I either wear the same things again and again or I can't find anything I want to wear. I'm not very good at being a stylist -- another skill I'm trying to improve.

I weeded out several pieces to donate from the winter stuff -- I'm pretty much removing all of the items I didn't wear this year.

Sooo, now it is time to pull out my summer stuff and I'm contemplating doing a harsh purge. I have a lot of t-shirts which are okay and wearable, but don't get much love and I think I want to really pare them down and maybe keep only 14 t-shirts. Why do I need more? I'm also hoping if I can thin my wardrobe maybe I will be better about wearing more of the items I like vs. wearing the same things over and over. Does that make sense?

Thoughts? Tips? Want to purge together? :D
I do a few things to help me :
1. Pick a color palette and stick within it. I don't wear gray, for example, so any shirt or accessory that would need gray to coordinate I walk right past.

2. I keep all my clothes in my closet - I don't pack away seasons. That way I am able to not accumulate as much. I have a very small drawer for "nostalgia" like a concert t-shirt from high school. No more than that.

3. I keep a global perspective on possessions. I have 3 pairs of jeans - that's one more pair than I actually need. I won't buy new jeans until these either become hopelessly unstylish/ruined or else don't fit. I keep about 5-8 outfits pet season. I really don't need more than that - like you said, you wear your old favorites.

4. Educate yourself on the effects of excess clothing consumption - is just as harmful as overeating consumption. Http:/www.overdressedthebook.com is a great start.

5. I like the principals of Dressing Your Truth for helping me navigate fashion. I now can walk right by styles and colors that don't flatter me instead of feeling pressure to follow the trends so much. I look very or rusher but it's much more tailored to me.

Sent from my Android phone using Swype

mmommy
04-25-2013, 01:14 PM
I've also done a huge purge. Its incredible how many things I still have given all that I got rid of, and I really am not a buyer. I'm hoping to start wearing more "outfits" rather than jeans and tshirts, and after the purge I realized I actually just need a few things (belts/scarves, etc) to be able to pull it all together. I keep all seasons in the closet, and make sure that things can cross over between at least 2 seasons (add a cardigan, leggings, etc). I'm excited to look more put together and especially since I can do it without buying a bunch more.

lovin2shop
04-25-2013, 01:22 PM
I have this same problem. I feel like I constantly have nothing to wear, yet my closet is stuffed. I get rid of stuff that doesn't get any love, try to buy things that are a better fit both literally and for my life, but yet seem to disappointed in what I bought at the end of the season. I'm wasting money, and spending way too much time dealing with "stuff". I need to find the time to get myself organized, plan out "go to" outfits, or get a professional to help me! I think a lot of my problem is that my wardrobe needs cover a huge range of Mom on the Go to uber professional / dress events. This requires various ranges heel heights, pants lengths, wash and wear vs. dry clean only, etc. No real suggestions, just commiseration, and I'll be watching this thread for suggestions.

123LuckyMom
04-25-2013, 03:44 PM
Do it, do it, do it!!! You will not regret purging!!! About ten years ago, before marriage and kids, I decided to do this. I was one of those people who bought a lot of clothes and whose closet was stuffed, but I never seemed to have anything to wear!!! I violently paired down and bought a few new pieces so that I would have an actual wardrobe of things I liked, that went together into outfits, and that were suitable for all occasions. I have very few items in my closet compared to what I used to have, but I always have something to wear, and it's easy to decide what to wear, because my choices are limited. I never buy anything unless I know it will make an outfit, and I choose quality over quantity every time.

Katigre
04-25-2013, 04:17 PM
Do it, do it, do it!!! You will not regret purging!!! About ten years ago, before marriage and kids, I decided to do this. I was one of those people who bought a lot of clothes and whose closet was stuffed, but I never seemed to have anything to wear!!! I violently paired down and bought a few new pieces so that I would have an actual wardrobe of things I liked, that went together into outfits, and that were suitable for all occasions. I have very few items in my closet compared to what I used to have, but I always have something to wear, and it's easy to decide what to wear, because my choices are limited. I never buy anything unless I know it will make an outfit, and I choose quality over quantity every time.

The intensive purging you need is best accomplished with a friend to help you. A friend who will be ruthless and not let you keep things ;).

Sent from my Android phone using Swype

katydid1971
04-25-2013, 04:42 PM
I tend to purge constantly as I go. I put a few items every month into the goodwill bag. I do have some items which I feel are classics and which are better quality that I have in long term storage (space bags in DS's closet-its huge and he has 3 things hanging up in there).

pastrygirl
04-25-2013, 04:51 PM
Yes, I did a few months ago. I had two piles -- get rid of immediately, and simmer. The simmer pile (in another closet) went untouched all this time. I've only been reaching into it now because I need smaller clothes and most of it was too small for me back then. Even so, it's stuff that I don't love and wouldn't wear again except for the sizing (and not wanting to spend money because I'm losing more weight).

I was RUTHLESS. If I put it on and didn't LOVE IT, it went into one of those two piles. And I mean love it, as in I didn't have to fiddle with it or wear it with something just so to get it right.

I'm about to purge again because of sizing. There are items that I love and wore all the time last summer, but they are too big now and I don't love them on me now. I think they'll go to the simmer pile, though. But I definitely need to do another ruthless purge again.

minnie-zb
04-25-2013, 04:59 PM
I've enjoyed reading everyone's ideas and suggestions.

I did some more weeding today and I need to pull out my storage boxes with the summer/spring clothes. I'm going to be ruthless. I know there's a lot of stuff in them I didn't even wear last summer.

wallawala
04-25-2013, 08:57 PM
I love the "scorched earth" policy!

Extensive, ruthless purge will make you a better shopper. I used to impulse buy the "almost ok" or "pretty good" thing on sale.... and purging those expensive, barely worn "deals" helped me curb that bad habit (mostly).

Now, my goal is only buy on sale what you'd joyfully pay full price for! And take it back immediately if the warning bells go off when you get home. My philosopy is everything in my closet should be a "LOVE" item. I'm at about 90%...

tarnator
04-25-2013, 11:42 PM
Ha!
I have been procrastinating on doing this.....
I have a bag of clothes that didn't fit me last summer that I need to go through and see if anything will fit this summer now that I have lost a bit of the baby weight. I will start tonight.....:applause:

MelissaTC
04-27-2013, 11:39 AM
I am off to do mine today. I wear the same things all the time. No need to keep the rest.

Mommy_Mea
04-27-2013, 12:33 PM
The end of last summer, I did a major purge before putting away the summer stuff. Anything that I didn't wear, didn't feel really good in, or was in rough shape never made it in the storage bin. Of course, I just pulled that bin out and have NO summer clothes, lol! But I will force myself to buy some better quality summer clothes to replace them!

hillview
04-27-2013, 01:11 PM
I have. No regrets.

sweetheart82
04-28-2013, 01:38 AM
I have purged my closet, but I need to do this again asap. Not to mention, I need to purge my kids' closets of their outgrown clothes.

lmintzer
04-29-2013, 09:00 AM
I really need to do this! I have a big closet, thus way too many things from literally a decade ago or more that should go.

My problem is this: when purging, it would be nice to try to keep "classic" pieces. I feel like I used to buy higher quality clothes (and the quality has also gone down at many stores). So I don't want to get rid of "good" stuff that I should keep. I feel like I need a fashion-savvy friend (or my mom when she's in town) to look through everything with me. I just don't trust my own judgement.

I probably should get rid of 50% of what I have! That's pretty sad!