PDA

View Full Version : Any feeding routine for newborn twins?

bigpassport
04-26-2013, 11:14 PM
Somewhat inspired by the Babywise post, I'm looking for help on a gameplan for a feeding routine for newborn twins. I will be formula feeding. With DS1, I did more moderately scheduled feedings than demand feedings. I had no idea there was such controversy with scheduled feedings and it was quite upsetting to learn about it on this board several weeks into DS1's life. I am now neither pro-scheduled feedings or pro-demand feedings. For example, when one wakes up, should I wake the other up? Feed them at the same time?

What do you twin mamas recommend from experience as to how to survive feeding/sleeping in the first few weeks with twins?

twowhat?
04-27-2013, 12:01 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about the actual schedule... the absolute most important thing is to feed them at the same time. Every time. So if one wakes up hungry, wake the other and feed them both! Or you will go crazy:) A rough schedule will fall naturally from this. Congrats on the adoption!!

TwinFoxes
04-27-2013, 08:04 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about the actual schedule... the absolute most important thing is to feed them at the same time. Every time. So if one wakes up hungry, wake the other and feed them both! Or you will go crazy:) A rough schedule will fall naturally from this. Congrats on the adoption!!

:yeahthat: My DDs came home from the NICU on a schedule already, and they were underweight so I had to wake them to feed them. It takes so long, that I'd literally feel like I was a non-stop feeding/pumping machine! I have a feeling it will be similar formula feeding.

mommyoftwo
05-02-2013, 10:35 AM
I agree with what has been stated here. Our girls came home from the NICU on an every three hour schedule. We roughly followed that at night (never letting them go for more than four hours and always feeding them every three hours during the day unless they were hungry sooner. And we always woke up the other if they weren't awake. When I'm by myself I usually feed them back to back because they have reflux and I find propping up the bottles and taking turns to burp them doesn't work terribly well for me. I can and will do it when they are both starving at the same time. My challenge now is night time because they are sleeping extended periods of time and I don't want to discourage that so they sometimes end up not on the same schedule and I have to work to get them back on track.

missliss55
05-02-2013, 05:06 PM

I completely agree!!

My twins came home from the NICU on a 3 hour schedule and we stuck with that and it worked for us.

gatorsmom
05-02-2013, 05:42 PM

I completely agree with this. I put both my older 2 kids on a schedule and loved it. When my twins came along, I tried and tried to get them on a schedule. I was never able to.

If your twins come home on a feeding schedule I'd move heaven and earth to keep them on it. Otherwise, feed them at the same time even if that means waking one to eat. Everytime! And I'd add to that the advice to keep them awake for feedings. At least 5 minutes of drinking. Otherwise they are both going to try to wake up to "sip" very often and you will quickly lose your mind!

Not sure if you are interested in breast feeding. It's doable with adopted babies. I know of 2 people who were able to bf their adopted babies. I mention this because I think it will make your life a bit easier if you can eliminate washing and sterilizing bottles.