PDA

View Full Version : Help! 4 yr old with wet accidents all the time

tabegle
04-27-2013, 11:12 PM
My 4 year old dd was trained pretty early. Maybe around 2 yrs 4 months? Last year a few months after her 3rd bday, she started having pooping accidents at daycare. After we talked with the teachers and started and "incentive program" it resolved itself.

Now, she's 4 years 4 months and has been having little pee accidents all.the.time. And she doesn't tell anyone. She'll sit in her wet underwear either at home or at daycare. It's just a little wet, not like it leaves a puddle where ever it happened, but it still leaves her undies quite soaked and I'm at my wits end with it. I cannot stand the smell of pee everywhere nevermind all the laundry! And when she wears tights and has an accident, it'll give her a rash (which I just put diaper cream on and that works fast).

We've tried implementing a reward system (get a coin for no accidents each day, after so many coins we can go do a "fun thing", then we moved on to daily candy rewards) but that still isn't working.

On the weekends, I set an alarm for every hour to go use the potty and she fights and argues saying she doesn't have to go. Tonight I told her go use the potty now and we can watch a video before bed or you can go to bed now. She grudgingly used the potty.

A few weeks ago, it was just pooping accidents, and based on dr. google, I needed to increase her fiber. I did that and am no longer washing out the poopie undies. (and she apparently didn't mind sitting in the poop either! Why the daycare couldn't smell it and make her change is another question.)

Am I missing something? I don't know what else I can do to help encourage her to not want to sit in wet undies. It seems silly to take her to a doctor for this, but could it be medical? Any advise or suggestions you can offer, I'm listening!

Thanks!

abh5e8
04-27-2013, 11:24 PM
it could be a UTI....that would give increased urinary urgency and frequency, and also pain, which could explain why she is avoiding going to use the bathroom.

fwiw...ds was completely clean/dry all the time from about 2 and a half...but now at 4 and a half, he has accidents again. i'm not sure why (no UTI), but it happens more when he is (overly) tired and if i make he go regularly, it helps. he seems to not want to stop playing to go.

mikala
04-27-2013, 11:29 PM
Is there any chance she's still constipated? That can contribute to pee accidents even after the poop accidents have resolved.

Does she seem bothered by the accidents? Has she been under any extra stress lately?

tabegle
04-27-2013, 11:40 PM
it could be a UTI....that would give increased urinary urgency and frequency, and also pain, which could explain why she is avoiding going to use the bathroom.

fwiw...ds was completely clean/dry all the time from about 2 and a half...but now at 4 and a half, he has accidents again. i'm not sure why (no UTI), but it happens more when he is (overly) tired and if i make he go regularly, it helps. he seems to not want to stop playing to go.

This might just be it! thank you! I think we'll take her in to the doctor!

Is there any chance she's still constipated? That can contribute to pee accidents even after the poop accidents have resolved.

Does she seem bothered by the accidents? Has she been under any extra stress lately?

There may be a chance she's still constipated. I was reading the mirilax thread with interest and wondering if I should be doing a little something. Something to ask the doctor now. I don't think she's been under any extra stress. I can't think of any changes, nevermind any that would be a type of stress.

Thank you! I'm hoping it's a UTI now. It is smelly, it is a small amount each time. Though I ask her if it burns when she pees and she says no.

MommyAllison
04-28-2013, 12:42 AM
That exactly describes what one of my children is like. UTI test was negative, but an xray showed constipation and we are having success with daily Miralax. Good luck!

Kindra178
04-28-2013, 02:18 PM
Could you have her try and pee every hour or so (and tell the daycare providers as wel)? My ds doesn't like to stop what he is doing, and this helps him remember.

tabegle
04-28-2013, 09:21 PM
Could you have her try and pee every hour or so (and tell the daycare providers as wel)? My ds doesn't like to stop what he is doing, and this helps him remember.
I was setting a timer to have her go every hour, but she would fight me about going, so I thought it might hurt. Now that we've gone to the Dr, I think she's got more confidence and is being more receptive to potty suggestions.

The UTI test came back negative. The doc suggested it might be a little constipation issue and rx'd miralax. Half a packet each night before bed. So far, no accidents today!

Thanks everyone!

brittone2
04-29-2013, 08:57 AM
My DS2 only gets wet accidents when he's constipated. My DS1 had horrible constipation but rarely had pee accidents, including overnight. DS2 does fine overnight as well, but does have pee accidents when he needs miralax.

123LuckyMom
04-29-2013, 09:05 AM
I think you'll find the Miralax will work wonders! We always know we have a poop issue if we get a pee accident. Weird, but just one of those things!

tabegle
05-06-2013, 10:43 AM
We are on day 8 of a 10 day regiment of mirelax. I think the wet accidents have subsided just in the past couple of days. Though she keeps having poop accidents now. And they are just "wet gassies" or just a little bit of real soft poop.

BUT SHE STILL DOESN't want to change her undies!!! I swear, I am tempted to put a panty liner in there for absorption and to keep the laundry down!

I'm hoping after she's done with the mirelax she'll be back to normal with NO accidents.

I'm being as kind as I can with her about this and am telling her not to be embarrassed, I'm her mommy, and she can talk to me about anything.