PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite way to cook quinoa?

wallawala
04-28-2013, 09:09 PM
Help!

I'm looking for some way to jazz up quinoa to be a basic side dish to go along with chicken or fish dinner. I've tried white and did red tonight.

I've tried cooking in broth, and just started also adding 2 cloves of garlic (1 cup quinoa, 2 cups broth, 2 cloves garlic)....

But looking for a little more humpha in my life...

I REALLY, REALLY want to like quinoa, but sorta meh right now.

Any recipes you like? Bonus if they are simple enough for cook after WOHFT day....

theriviera
04-28-2013, 09:18 PM
I make in my rice cooker, 2:1 ratio water to quinoa. I add a pinch of salt. I like it, but I usually serve it with something that has a sauce so that adds to the flavor.

GvilleGirl
04-28-2013, 10:05 PM
More of a main dish, but this is our families favorite.
https://www.weightwatchers.com/food/rcp/RecipePage.aspx?recipeid=220451

Tondi G
04-28-2013, 10:10 PM
cook your quinoa in chicken broth. Saute onion, bell peppers and zucchini in olive oil and season as you like and then mix in with the quinoa. You can add a little soy sauce too if you like.

sntm
04-28-2013, 10:32 PM
I read to sauté it in oil first before adding broth

wellyes
04-28-2013, 10:39 PM
Serve mixed with black beans, corn and tex mex spices.

waitingforgrace
04-28-2013, 11:20 PM
Search for southwest quinoa salad on allrecipes. It's fantastic. I toast the rinsed quinoa in a little oil, then add broth to cook it. The recipe has a great dressing recipe and I add whatever I have-black beans, corn, cilantro, tomato, avocado, etc

ZivaZ
04-29-2013, 05:10 AM
If you have leftover quinoa, use it in place of rice in a rice salad. Then it makes a nice main dish or packed lunch. We use quinoa instead of rice in the following recipe (adapted from an old New York Times cookbook):

Cold rice with shrimp
1 c rice, cooked and cooled
3 scallions, chopped fine
1/2 onion, minced or puréed
3/4 c mayo
pinch of ginger powder
salt & lemon juice to taste
2 c shrimp
toasted sesame seeds

1. Put rice, scallions, onion, mayo and seasonings in a bowl and stir until everything is evenly distributed.
2. Add shrimp, stir, and season to taste with ginger, salt and lemon juice.
3. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Serve immediately.

abh5e8
04-29-2013, 07:49 PM
for a side to fish, i cook quinoa (2 parts water, 1 part quinoa) and some wild rice. then i saute onion, celery, red pepper and mushrooms (and garlic) in coconut oil. mix the 2 and serve with the fish. we love it!

brittone2
05-01-2013, 03:39 PM
I've been making a cold quinoa salad for potlucks, new baby meals, etc.

Cooked, cooled quinoa
green onion chopped
clementines peeled and then cut in 1/3 or so and sections pulled apart
feta crumbled up
cucumbers chopped

Toss that together and squeeze a bunch of clementine or orange juice over it, a little olive oil, little bit of salt. You can add cooked chopped grilled chicken pieces, etc. if you want to make it a one dish thing.

Toast some slivered almonds in the oven for a bit and add those in before serving if you have them.