PDA

View Full Version : How bad is caffeine

megs4413
04-29-2013, 05:54 PM
I'm getting conflicting advice from nurses. My OB's nurse said a little a day was fine. My home health nurse said I shouldn't have any. I gave up coffee and espresso, but have been having a few Sodas here and there. I don't normally drink soda, but I've been needing sugary fluids to clear ketones and the juice/Gatorade drinks aren't sitting as well as the fizzy stuff.

wellyes
04-29-2013, 06:00 PM
My doc said a cup a day was fine. I didn't with my first (ultra cautious), did with my 2nd, no regrets.

sariana
04-29-2013, 06:03 PM
My doctor told me the artificial sweeteners in diet soda were a much bigger concern than caffeine. That was years ago, but I think the current thought is that some caffeine is okay.

If you just need the carbonated sugar, can you drink a clear, caffeine-free soda such as 7-Up? That's what I did when I was pregnant.

Philly Mom
04-29-2013, 06:04 PM
Almost everyone I know had 1 cup a day. Often, they have 2 cups with half decaf. I had one cup if tea a day (sometimes a bit more) during my first pregnancy. I gave up caffeine in sept for my stomach so have only had one cup in this pregnancy. If I wanted some or thought it could make me feel better I would not hesitate. Sadly, I think it would make me feel worse.

scrooks
04-29-2013, 06:05 PM
I actually heard 2 cups of coffee per day is fine. I am not a huge drinker iof caffeinated beverages but I have had soda and tea occasionally.

Green_Tea
04-29-2013, 06:06 PM
I drank several cups of tea a day (maybe 3?) during each pregnancy, always with my OB's blessing. No problems here.

abh5e8
04-29-2013, 07:31 PM
a small amount is ok for an otherwise normal/healthy pregnancy...but wondering if you have other medical problems that might suggest otherwise, since you mentioned having home health care?

megs4413
04-29-2013, 08:27 PM
a small amount is ok for an otherwise normal/healthy pregnancy...but wondering if you have other medical problems that might suggest otherwise, since you mentioned having home health care?

Just hyperemesis.

marymoo86
04-29-2013, 08:57 PM
My OBs guidelines are less than 20 ounces of caffeinated beverages a day.

I usually have 1 caf and 1decaf coffee daily.

TxCat
04-29-2013, 09:02 PM
ACOG (American College/Congress of Obstetrics and Gynecology) usually recommends that you limit intake of caffeine to 200 mg/day or less. The average cup of coffee is about 95 mg of caffeine. Not sure how much is in sodas these days, but I had some caffeine throughout both pregnancies. I gave up coffee during the first 16 weeks of this pregnancy, but only because it made my morning sickness worse, not for any concerns about caffeine. And I've definitely sipped on Coke or iced caffeinated tea here and there.

One of the few health sources on the web that I recommend as reliable and trustworthy:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pregnancy-nutrition/PR00109/NSECTIONGROUP=2

And here's the ACOG link:

http://www.acog.org/~/media/For%20Patients/faq001.pdf?dmc=1&ts=20130429T2102438886

okinawama
04-29-2013, 09:03 PM
I drank one cup of caffeinated coffee in the morning, and one in the afternoon, and my OB said it was fine.

Snow mom
04-29-2013, 09:09 PM
I won't tell you how much caffeine I drank with DS--just that I finished writing my dissertation during my pregnancy. He's perfect although he really barely sleeps. I'm sure a little is absolutely fine-- my OB went with the 200 mg max mentioned here.

ArizonaGirl
04-29-2013, 10:10 PM
My doc said a cup a day was fine. I didn't with my first (ultra cautious), did with my 2nd, no regrets.

:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat:

megs4413
04-30-2013, 10:45 AM
Thanks, ladies, i feel a little better. I am drinking ginger ale part of the time, so no caffeine there, but I'll try picking up some root beer instead of Dr. Pepper today. I know soda isn't healthy, but it's working so well for me right now that I'm not going to fiddle with it. I'm just happy to be eating and drinking again.

bostonsmama
04-30-2013, 10:57 AM
I gave up caffeine before conception due to the miscarriage associations, but you're well past the first trimester, so you don't have to worry about that. I would be leery of drinking colas for their other health detriments (to you)--tooth enamel erosion, caramel color--a carcinogen, phosphoric acid leaches calcium from your bones & is linked with kidney damage, carbonated water can do the same w/ calcium and can cause teratogenic effects on fetus, and the list goes on.

I don't drink soda in general, although sometimes I'll have a sparkling juice (Izze) that is 70% juice. Have you tried Ginger Beer (non alcoholic)? Trader Joes sells it. It's been remarkable for my early MS. It has real ginger juice.

I limit my chocolate consumption in the first trimester, too. This baby/pregnancy doesn't like sweets anyways, but I am always cautious of caffeine from other foods and drinks given my history. The bottom line is that there are few if any double blind, randomized, controlled studies on caffeine during pregnancy. We only get data from self-reporting.

Wife_and_mommy
04-30-2013, 11:16 AM
I don't typically drink soda and couldn't eat *anything* sweet while I had hyperemesis but found it was a huge help to me as well. I found natural soda at whole foods that is made with real sugar and lacked all the chemicals conventional sodas have. I drank it happily as the carbonation was a godsend for me too even with the sugar. I don't like anything ginger so I did the lemon lime flavor but they have many flavors to choose from. A 12 pack was about $5.

ilfaith
05-05-2013, 06:14 PM
I didn't drink any coffee or other caffeinated beverages with DS1 (typical super-cautious first timer). With DS2 I drank a cup of coffee most every morning, and did the same while pregnant with DS3 until a fetal ECG discovered a slight cardiac arrhythmia and my ob suggested I cut out caffeine.

klwa
05-06-2013, 06:51 AM
I was told to avoid diet where possible, but that a little soda here & there (~ 1 2liter a week max) was fine.

I got most of mine from sweet tea once or twice a week.