PDA

View Full Version : Weight gain in the early weeks?

TwoBees
04-29-2013, 09:54 PM
How much weight does one typically gain during the early weeks? Granted we were away for the weekend and ate ate ate, but I think I've gained about 5 lbs in the past week. I'm not even 5 weeks yet. I don't recall it happening this early with DD. At this rate, I'm going to have to tell much sooner than I had planned because I'm not going to be able to hide it for 8 more weeks!

(Then again, it really could just be calories from all the decadent desserts...)

georgiegirl
04-29-2013, 10:21 PM
I didn't gain any in my first trimester because I was sick and lost 5 then gained it back. But I think a lot of early weight gain is mostly bloat.

TxCat
04-29-2013, 11:17 PM
Most people gain in the 5 pound range. However, I gained around 10-12 pounds in the first trimester both times around, despite terrible morning sickness both pregnancies as well. I think it's just the way my body deals with pregnancy. I usually start out with a BMI verging on underweight, and with morning sickness I tend to eat anything that I think I can keep down, which often ends up being carbs, smoothies, and "protein" bars and which all end up being high cal. I have noticed that my weight gain has slowed considerably in the second trimester, thank goodness!

lizzywednesday
04-30-2013, 10:18 AM
I lost 7 lbs with morning sickness, so I am no help!

Glad you're feeling well enough to eat, though, and I feel a bit jealous for that.

TwoBees
04-30-2013, 10:32 AM
I lost 7 lbs with morning sickness, so I am no help!

Glad you're feeling well enough to eat, though, and I feel a bit jealous for that.

I'm kind of waititng for the other shoe to drop. I don't remember when the morning sickness began with DD. It wasn't terrible, but I definitely had nausea and food aversions for a couple of months. Right now, all I want to do is eat junk food!

megs4413
04-30-2013, 10:43 AM
at that stage and in that amount of time, my guess is you're bloating a bit. I bet you don't keep that whole 5 on.

My doc said they are looking for less than 5lbs total gained in the first trimester. I've never gained weight in the first tri, so I can't speak to it. Lost 30lbs this time, 20 with DS, and 30 with DD.

specialp
04-30-2013, 11:28 AM
I think you are just bloated. I was told typical is no more than 4 lbs. for normal BMI with a target of 30-35 lbs. I gained 1.5, but like you, had weeks that I bloated up.

ECUPirateMom
04-30-2013, 12:21 PM
I gained around 13lbs in the 1st trimester :bag and this has been typical for all of my pregnancies. I also verge on being underweight before getting pregnant so that combined with the kind of morning sickness that causes me to eat carbs constantly PLUS no exercising...well you get the idea :) I gained around 50lbs with my last 2 pregnancies and was hoping not to gain so much this time but am not really stressing about it! I was back to my normal size within a year so I'm looking at it like a short term sacrifice for a long term goal :)