PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a (gas0 stovetog griddle for pancakes, etc?

buttercup
04-30-2013, 11:11 AM
I want to start making pancakes every weekend now that I know Clinton St. Bakery recipe is online and i don't need to queue up for pancakes ;)

I assume I can use a hand mixer (do not have a KitchenAid)

WHere do I cook them on? Willing to buy a griddle for the middle of my stovetop (which is propane) but want one that really works. Have tried to make pancakes in regular stainless steel pans and it's a miserable disaster.

Tell me, if you make pancakes with some regularity, what do you use? many thanks!!!

Kindra178
04-30-2013, 11:16 AM
I use a huge griddle that fits over two burners on my cooktop. It came with my stove.

buttercup
04-30-2013, 11:18 AM
Apologies for the typos in my title; I am unable to edit.

Is yours cast-iron? Does it work pretty well? Many thanks

lil_acorn
04-30-2013, 11:20 AM
we make pancakes all the time. I have a nonstick circulon griddle pan that straddles the two burners front to back. Never had any problems with it and can make 6 pancakes at a tiem with this method. We have a gas stove.

AnnieW625
04-30-2013, 11:30 AM
my parents have a large cast iron griddle they use for pancakes. I am pretty sure it came from Williams Sonoma as it was a gift from my paternal grandparents and my grandma loves WS. It works great and I do like it better than my electric griddle so it is on my list of wants. I also have a small circular cast iron tortilla warmer (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000JLYQIC) that also works for when I don't want to pull out my electric griddle.

egoldber
04-30-2013, 11:39 AM
We use this one: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/all-clad-double-burner-griddle/?pkey=cgriddles& (I *know* we didn't pay $200 for it though!)

I just mix pancakes by hand with a spatula. You don't really want to overmix.

KLD313
04-30-2013, 11:40 AM
I have a big non-stick electric griddle and it makes the best pancakes in no time. I could never make good pancakes in a frying pan.

TwinFoxes
04-30-2013, 11:42 AM
I use a huge griddle that fits over two burners on my cooktop. It came with my stove.

Same here, it's cast iron. It fits over the long 5th middle burner.

I think a hand blender, let alone a kitchen aid, is a bit of overkill. I use a whisk, it takes less than a minute. We make pancakes almost every weekend.

nupe
04-30-2013, 12:04 PM
I have an older version of this Circulon griddle. I think I got it as a buy something, get this for a low price deal on Amazon years ago. It's the only circulon I haven't given away. Not a huge circulon fan here. This does work for pancakes. I use it on my gas stove, over two burners.

http://www.amazon.com/Circulon-Contempo-Anodized-Nonstick-10-Inch/dp/B005GYUPOG/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&srs=2587293011&ie=UTF8&qid=1367337670&sr=1-2&keywords=circulon+griddle

I mix with a whisk. Sometimes I use golden malted mix. Most of the time I make the batter myself with ultragrain flour, soy milk, baking powder, salt, sugar and butter. Once I flip them, I melt some chocolate chips on top for the kids! It's so fun.

Meatball Mommie
05-12-2013, 06:13 PM
Another family with a cast iron griddle that goes over 2 burners here! I picked ours up at Bed, Bath & Beyond, so it wasn't $$$. I think it's "Lodge" brand IIRC. It was a Father's Day gift many years ago and is wonderful! Love it! I do grilled cheese on it too.

I also only use a whisk when making pancakes. I've never used any electric mixer. According to my mom, if you over mix the batter, the pancakes will be tough. I have no idea if that's really true, but that's what she said when I was little and wanted to stir!

lizzywednesday
05-13-2013, 11:31 AM
I have a dual-sized cast-iron 2-burner grill/griddle that I received as a wedding shower gift from my Nana.

I use it mostly for pancakes & French toast and so long as you take the time to care for it properly, it's fantastic.

brittone2
05-13-2013, 03:32 PM
I have the big Lodge cast iron grill/griddle pan and I like it a lot. I use it on electric now but have used it on gas as well. There was a learning curve to it, but now we love it. We use the middle section to keep things warm/finish them off. Most of the actual cooking is done over the actual burners. That middle section doesn't get as hot, so we use it kind of as a holding area.