PDA

View Full Version : Is there ever a point to go back to diapers from underwear?

TxCat
04-30-2013, 08:55 PM
I don't think we're there... yet. But DD is really testing us.

We did 3 Day Potty Training about a week and a half ago, so very recent. DD did well initially, but in the last 5 days or so, she's had more regular accidents - pee and poop. We try to be very cool about it, and remain positive and encouraging, but I'm worried because DD is clearly not phased at all by these accidents. I've also lost any "currency" with her - M&Ms for peeing in the potty have lost their allure, and presents (toys) for pooping in the potty don't seem to interest her at all. I would consider showing her a bigger toy that she would get for staying dry all week, and using a sticker chart or something to track her progress, but DD doesn't get the concept of long-term earning.

I'm not sure what best to do. Clearly, we have to go back to asking her regularly (like every 5-10 minutes) if she has to go to the potty, as opposed to every 30 minutes or so. I have no idea what to do about the poop accidents. I'm wondering if there is any other way to get her somewhat invested in this, or if we should shelve the project and revisit it in a few months. However, she does need to be potty trained to start preschool Sept. 2.

I miss diapers. :(

acmom
04-30-2013, 09:27 PM
I have had 2 friends that did the 3 day potty training with their kids but didn't have success the first time (very similar situations to what you are describing where accidents became more frequent and motivation was dwindling). They both decided to take a break for a while and went back to diapers. They tried again a few months later and it made all the difference...both kids were successful very quickly the second time around. So I would say, if you are feeling like it might be better to try again at a later time, I wouldn't hesistate to do that.

SnuggleBuggles
04-30-2013, 09:29 PM
I quit with ds1. Totally wasn't worth the stress. 6 months later it was a night and day difference and he was ready.

TxCat
04-30-2013, 11:22 PM
Your posts make me feel better. If DD was recognizing that she was having accidents, I would feel more sanguine about plugging on with potty training, but she could care less about her accidents - they do not bother her in the least. I'm just thinking that we could be banging our heads against a wall unnecessarily for a while if we continue right now.

Still-in-Shock
05-01-2013, 12:15 AM
If you make a really big deal about it, you get into a power struggle with her, and it's so not worth it. My sister went bezerk with my niece about this, promising her more and more things, but my niece would have none of it. And one day when she was ready, she stopped using diapers.

♥ms.pacman♥
05-01-2013, 12:26 AM
Your posts make me feel better. If DD was recognizing that she was having accidents, I would feel more sanguine about plugging on with potty training, but she could care less about her accidents - they do not bother her in the least. I'm just thinking that we could be banging our heads against a wall unnecessarily for a while if we continue right now.

i agree. there's just no point in doing it if she doesn't recognize she doesn't have accidents... my dd is about 6 mos younger, and is very similar...she just coudln't give a rat's hat when she pees on the floor (the few times she's in underwear bc she has ripped her diaper off). i wouldn't try to touch potty training my DD with 10 foot pole at this stage..she is just not ready. we have a potty out for her but it's just bc DS has one and she of course has to have one too. she has peed on it before, but it was merely for fun in her mind. my ds was not ready to PT until he was at least 3. and even then we are having issues with pooping.

AngelaS
05-01-2013, 06:54 AM
Are you making her change herself if she has an accident? That is what made two of mine turn the corner with potty training. They didn't like touching their wet pants and quickly stopped making them wet once they had to take them off. Same with poop...after they had to swish poopy panties in the toilet a time or two, they stopped that. Yes, they make a mess taking off poppy pants, but a quick wash with the shower takes care of that.

TxCat
05-01-2013, 10:10 AM
Are you making her change herself if she has an accident? That is what made two of mine turn the corner with potty training. They didn't like touching their wet pants and quickly stopped making them wet once they had to take them off. Same with poop...after they had to swish poopy panties in the toilet a time or two, they stopped that. Yes, they make a mess taking off poppy pants, but a quick wash with the shower takes care of that.

I tried to get her to help me clean up the couch after she peed while sitting on it yesterday, but that was it. I guess I'm not sure how much to "force her" to do things like that (because it will definitely require force) - even helping clean the couch, putting the dirty supplies in the trash, DD was yelling and dragging her feet. I'm wondering if I force more help with clean-up, that that will translate to potty battles, which we haven't had outright but I think we're heading for.

There was a definite change in DD the last several days - she was good about recognizing she needed to pee for about a week, and now she just doesn't care.

AnnieW625
05-01-2013, 12:26 PM
She doesn't sound ready. I may be in the minority but I wish people would stop thinking that all 2 yr. old girls must be potty trained. DD2 tried to start training herself at 2 yrs. 8 mos., but she didn't get it when we told her that she couldn't go pee in her diapers (we were at the beginning of training at home) at daycare so she ended up holding her pee because she didn't get that not peeing in diapers meant going on the toilet. She ended up with some pretty bad UTIs because of this. Now she is kind of resistant to training so I am just holding off a bit longer.