PDA

View Full Version : Half marathoners, check in!

firstbaby
05-01-2013, 01:11 PM
I know several of you have mentioned doing half marathons this spring and wanted to see how everyone is doing! I finished a half last weekend and did really well - just a few seconds over 2 hrs. I thought I was going to need therapy after a bad half last spring, and I have another one in a month. So, how's it going???

SnuggleBuggles
05-01-2013, 03:47 PM
I have one soon and posted about my Achilles bugging me (ankle tendonitis I am thinking now). It's my first one and I have no time goal. My only goal is to complete. seeing how much it hurt walking around the zoo today, I am just so conflicted.

I didn't follow a training plan but looked at a few the other day and pleased to see I didn't do a terrible job. I didn't get one last long run in (only got to 8 miles- wish I'd done at least 10). But, my workouts this year should have me ok. Just this ankle. I'm planning to decide the day before b/c I can still sell my number then and not lose the $.

I think that 10ks are much more my speed. Not stressful, I can just go out and do one and call it a nice workout for the day. :)

eta- good job on yours!!

okinawama
05-01-2013, 05:06 PM
I am running my second one on the 11th of this month. I'm nervous and excited. This is the second half I'm training for, and both I trained for while my DH was gone the entire time..so my kids have come with me on every single run, even the long ones. Surely it will help with my time. I do have to say I'm a little terrified to run the half and then come home and care for my boys all by myself the entire day.

Firstbaby: 2hrs is a great time! Congrats! I'd love to be around the 2hr15 mark, but we'll see how things go that day. Finishing is goal number 1, goal number 2 is finish without walking, and goal number 3 is finish faster than my first half.

Snuggles: I hope that your ankle heals quickly and you're feeling 100% soon!

SnuggleBuggles
05-05-2013, 04:28 PM
I finished. My body is sore and I'm glad to be done. I'll stick with 5-10ks. Maybe I'll change my mind someday. Dh was my running buddy and he was great.

Eta- a week later now...I plan to do another half if I can get my knees not to hurt. It started hurting on mile 3 so it was a challenge. If if can get it in good shape, I want to run another and improve my time.

okinawama
05-12-2013, 09:53 AM
I thought I'd check in too. I finished my race yesterday ( and am very very sore!), the weather was beautiful and overall, the race went well. I finished in 1hr 59 minutes, which was faster than my last half, so I was super happy with that. As I suspected, running the race and then coming home to take care of the kids by myself was awful. They certainly didn't care that I had ran 13 miles, and they still were up to their normal 4yr old and 2yr old shennanigans :)

scriptkitten
05-12-2013, 11:02 AM
i have my first half in a few weeks.

everything would be going great if not for the awful plantars faciitis i'm nursing. it hurts. a lot.

firstbaby
05-18-2013, 01:41 PM
Okinawama - Wow! Great time on your race. I hope you were able to get some kid free time shortly after race day.

SnuggleBuggles - Great job on finishing! I know you were having some pain before your race, but I'm happy for you that you were able to do it!

Good luck ScriptKitten! I have my second half on 6/1. Looking forward to wrapping it up :) Let us know how your race goes!

cono0507
06-25-2013, 07:50 PM
I have my second half marathon in August. I'm up to six miles right now. I'm getting over a hamstring injury that had been plaguing me since january, so I'm taking things quite slow and hoping to remain injury free between now and August! :)
I have a sprint triathlon this coming weekend and need to be nice to my leg. At a 5k a couple of weeks ago, I pulled the darn hamstring again running hills and don't want to pull it again.