PDA

View Full Version : Can someone clue me into my non-hormonal birth control options?

Binkandabee
05-01-2013, 02:04 PM
Besides condoms?

My life after breast cancer is getting pieced together bit by bit and I'm ready now to explore my birth control options. Whatever method I use has to be non-hormonal since my cancer was estrogen receptor positive. I'm having another surgery in September for reconstruction and am thinking I may want to do something permanent at that same time. I've got a consult set up with the Dr. who would perform the surgery in the middle of June, but I thought I'd explore all my options. The only permanent form I am aware of is a tubal ligation.

georgiegirl
05-01-2013, 02:10 PM
Vasectomy.

Isn't there a copper IUD without hormones?

elektra
05-01-2013, 02:15 PM
Copper IUD, diaphram, tubal ligation, vasectomy, ?
I also cannot use hormonal birth control due to medication I have to take. Condoms have been the best solution in my case, but if DH would get a vasectomy that would be the ultimate best longer term situation. That has not happened for various reasons.

Good luck with your upcoming surgeries.

rin
05-01-2013, 02:26 PM
In addition to the methods elektra listed, I'd add withdrawal. A few paragraphs is, this article (http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/04/why-still-so-few-use-condoms/275301/) discusses the effectiveness; for mature couples (read: not teenagers, people who're familiar with one another sexually) it's about on par with condoms.

megs4413
05-01-2013, 03:10 PM
there's also essure. I can't do hormonal BC either and had successfully been using condoms for 6 years...I am expecting now. So my best advice: don't rely on condoms. /rant

SnuggleBuggles
05-01-2013, 03:38 PM
I use the copper IUD. 5 years+ with my current one and it should last 10 years. Very pleased.

larig
05-01-2013, 03:59 PM
I use the copper IUD. 5 years+ with my current one and it should last 10 years. Very pleased.

:yeahthat:

pastrygirl
05-01-2013, 04:18 PM
I'll add a couple of natural ones: Marquette, which uses the Clearblue monitor, and Creighton.

georgiegirl
05-01-2013, 04:26 PM
My friend just got pregnant using the withdrawal method. She was shocked since she's 39 and it took them 3 years to conceive their second child. Her kids will be 16 months apart. However, that method always worked for me.

chottumommy
05-01-2013, 04:30 PM
I got pregnant a few months back using condoms and withdrawal(that time atleast) and NFP. So my advice don't trust those.

okinawama
05-01-2013, 04:58 PM
I used the Creighton method http://www.creightonmodel.com/. It's a form of natural family planning. I know it's not for everyone, but I successfully avoided pregnancy with it ( and condoms during fertile times) for a while. My DH has had a vasectomy, so we no longer use it to avoid (or achieve) pregnancy, but I can easily tell the exact dates I'm fertile.

karstmama
05-01-2013, 05:18 PM
are you able to use progesterone only methods? that would include the mirena (which i personally love), the implanted rods in your arm, and the minipill (which i wouldn't recommend - very time-tricky).

other no-hormones-at-all methods include the diaphragm & cervical cap, besides condoms others mentioned.

permanent methods - tubal, vasectomy, & essure as mentioned upthread.

KLD313
05-01-2013, 08:03 PM
My friend just got pregnant using the withdrawal method. She was shocked since she's 39 and it took them 3 years to conceive their second child. Her kids will be 16 months apart. However, that method always worked for me.

I have two babies using that method and I was over 35 for both. I had a tubal during my c-section.

sntm
05-01-2013, 10:18 PM
No progesterone either.

stonecali
05-01-2013, 11:09 PM
I refused to use hormones and hubby refused to use condoms, so we used a diaphragm with spermicide. I totally gained weight on all birth control pills.

I felt like a grandma, because I had never heard of anyone our age that used one - LOL I feel like it was outdated technology once the IUD really gained steam. But, it worked for us and met our needs!

ABO Mama
05-01-2013, 11:40 PM
I would NOT do a tubal. I had one with c-sec and it totally messed with my hormones. Let your DH get a v.

sntm
05-02-2013, 12:02 AM
Stonecali, I'm a diaphragm user too. My pcp told me how retro I was!

Multimama
05-02-2013, 12:23 AM
I felt like a grandma, because I had never heard of anyone our age that used one - LOL I feel like it was outdated technology once the IUD really gained steam. But, it worked for us and met our needs!

I think Elaine from Seinfeld used one.

mjs64
05-02-2013, 12:26 AM
I :heartbeat: my copper IUD. I have a chronic condition that contraindicates hormonal BC.

roobee
05-02-2013, 12:59 AM
essure
http://www.essure.com/

karstmama
05-02-2013, 08:19 AM
i thought elaine used the sponge?

which might be a good option if it's still around. it was, then it wasn't, then it was, and i've lost track, but it has spermicide but no hormones.

elektra
05-02-2013, 09:29 AM
i thought elaine used the sponge?

which might be a good option if it's still around. it was, then it wasn't, then it was, and i've lost track, but it has spermicide but no hormones.

Yah, Elaine used the Today sponge, which is disposable. A diaphragm is somewhat similar but is reusable and is made of latex/rubber (?). A diaphragm is supposedly less effective that condoms FYI. I used to use one but there is no way I want to get pregnant so I think condoms are the best bet as far as the percentages go.

Multimama
05-02-2013, 04:42 PM
Yah, Elaine used the Today sponge, which is disposable. A diaphragm is somewhat similar but is reusable and is made of latex/rubber (?). A diaphragm is supposedly less effective that condoms FYI. I used to use one but there is no way I want to get pregnant so I think condoms are the best bet as far as the percentages go.

More Elaine's birth control usage. According to this wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Virgin_(Seinfeld)) she did use a diaphragm at least for some of the show.

I think the effectiveness of the diaphragm depends in part on how well it is fitted, right?

edurnemk
05-02-2013, 10:08 PM
I'll add a couple of natural ones: Marquette, which uses the Clearblue monitor, and Creighton.

I use the babycomp, it uses basal temperature and it's very effective (more than BCP) though it requires discipline.

I have considered the non-hormonal IUD, too. i can't take BCP's.

MamaSnoo
05-02-2013, 10:53 PM
If you just need a bridge until you have your tubal later, and your DH/SO does not want to have a vasectomy, you could combine diaphragm and condoms. The 2 together should be more effective than either alone. I used this strategy for while when in a long distance relationship. It was not worth it to take hormones every day when I only needed birth control every 2-3 months.

Still-in-Shock
05-02-2013, 11:30 PM
Years ago, one of my friends used contraceptive foam (or jelly) AND condoms together, since it had the highest rate of success in preventing pregnancy. You would need to check with your doctor about whether you can use the foam because of the chemical content.

MamaMolly
05-03-2013, 10:01 AM
Stonecali, I'm a diaphragm user too. My pcp told me how retro I was!

Hipster birth control! :)

lizzywednesday
05-03-2013, 10:04 AM
I've been reading Taking Charge of Your Fertility as a non-hormonal b.c. option and it seems pretty straightforward so long as you're diligent.

At the moment, I'm looking for an app for my iPhone that would help me chart rather than having to keep a sheet of graph paper & pencil on my nightstand.

Binkandabee
05-03-2013, 12:27 PM
Thanks for all the replies! The non-hormonal IUD sounds like a good option. I will ask the Dr. about it, but I have a tipped uterus...does that make an IUD not a good option?

legaleagle
05-03-2013, 01:30 PM
Thanks for all the replies! The non-hormonal IUD sounds like a good option. I will ask the Dr. about it, but I have a tipped uterus...does that make an IUD not a good option?

I just got a copper iud 6 weeks ago and had a very easy insertion and a quite tilted uterus. No cramping or spotting issues either, so far it's great.

emily_gracesmama
05-06-2013, 07:52 PM
Nurse at ob today told me the diaphragm would be about 80 percent after the kids I've had so definitely not trying that one out. I did use it in the past but if I got pregnant again i swear id march to the golden gate. She mentioned the sponge too but I'm not interested in trying it since it is lower on the effectiveness side as well.

niccig
05-08-2013, 01:01 PM
You say in your siggy that your family is complete. If you don't want anymore kids, then I say with everything that you've got going on, your DH can step up and get a V. I don't think permanent birth control should be your responsibility alone, and you've got enough health concerns.

So I vote for it's DH's time to do something.

Tondi G
05-08-2013, 03:38 PM

I have a tilted uterus ... I had the Paragard IUD for a little over a year and had it removed. I was not happy with it. My body wasn't happy with it. What a waste of money (over $1000 on the iud, insertion appointment and U/S to make sure it was in the right place and removal appointment). I stuck with it for over a year because I felt like I wanted to give it a chance ... I should have just had it removed sooner. I know a lot of people who have had good experiences with IUD's but I didn't and won't recommend it.

rin
05-08-2013, 03:40 PM
I have a tilted uterus ... I had the Paragard IUD for a little over a year and had it removed. I was not happy with it. My body wasn't happy with it. What a waste of money (over $1000 on the iud, insertion appointment and U/S to make sure it was in the right place and removal appointment). I stuck with it for over a year because I felt like I wanted to give it a chance ... I should have just had it removed sooner. I know a lot of people who have had good experiences with IUD's but I didn't and won't recommend it.

This is interesting to hear. What sorts of negative symptoms did you have? I've had one for about 6 months now, and am not happy with it, but also am holding out because it was $$$ to put in. I also have a tilted uterus.

Tondi G
05-08-2013, 04:03 PM
This is interesting to hear. What sorts of negative symptoms did you have? I've had one for about 6 months now, and am not happy with it, but also am holding out because it was $$$ to put in. I also have a tilted uterus.

I had some really intense pain when it was inserted .... like sharp pain in my right hip bone feeling that shot down my leg. The U/S showed it was in the right place and my OB said maybe take some more advil. Every month before my period I would have that same sharp pain in my right hip. I would spot for several days, gush for several days and then flow/ spot again for another few days.... my cycle was lasting close to 10+ days and was coming every 24 days.... so I had very little time off from spotting or bleeding. I had an increased sensitivity in my abdomen altogether. Hard to explain but it really felt like my uterus was not happy and was always swollen and trying to expel what was in there. I had a couple of vaginal bacterial infection which I had never had before .... and haven't had since having the iud removed. I also had some discomfort during intercourse. My husband joked (but was only kind of joking) that the IUD works because it makes you so uncomfortable you don't want to have sex anyways so you don't even have the chance of getting pregnant.

The day I had it removed things felt a lot better almost instantly. I wish I had never had the thing implanted. I looked up online when I was going back and forth about having it removed. I found an article about copper allergy. I also read about a woman who has a nickel allergy and was told no, the wire is copper .... no problem .... but discovered that the wire is nickel and then plated with copper. She was having a reaction IN HER UTERUS to the metal!!!! aahhh! I never had issues with metals when I was younger but since DS2 was born, one of my ears is now sensitive to gold. I haven't worn earrings in years because every time I try my right ear gets red and swollen and uncomfortable. Maybe I am allergic to nickel or copper too? Who knows!

Twin Mom
05-08-2013, 10:12 PM
I didn't read the other posts but what about essure? There is another thread down the page about it. I don't think it's hormonal and it's permanent. I considered it but decided to do Mirena instead since hormones aren't an issue for me.

Binkandabee
05-09-2013, 01:18 PM
You say in your siggy that your family is complete. If you don't want anymore kids, then I say with everything that you've got going on, your DH can step up and get a V. I don't think permanent birth control should be your responsibility alone, and you've got enough health concerns.

So I vote for it's DH's time to do something.

That was the original plan, until it became clear that I needed to have another surgery. I'm thinking I might as well do it at the same time since I will already be under general anesthesia, off work, and in the hospital for a reconstruction related surgery. DH might still do it, but I want to explore all the options first. I am a bit ticked at DH...for years he was all for getting a vasectomy and I wasn't, now that I'm on board, he's shying away. He doesn't like the idea of doing it without general anesthesia. I told him he's looking for sympathy from the wrong person :)

I am hopefully going to be able to talk to the surgeon this week. I'm going to bring up all of these options.

I really, really wish I could just go back to taking pills!

Zukini
05-09-2013, 11:20 PM
I've been reading Taking Charge of Your Fertility as a non-hormonal b.c. option and it seems pretty straightforward so long as you're diligent.

At the moment, I'm looking for an app for my iPhone that would help me chart rather than having to keep a sheet of graph paper & pencil on my nightstand.

@lizzy, the app for Fertility Friend is free and very user friendly. The info you enter syncs with their fertility friend website. Tracks basal body temperature, cervical mucus and a host of other fete illite related information.

For OP, we used condoms or both condoms and spermicide during fertile times, and spermicide alone during "safe" times.

Multimama
05-10-2013, 09:24 AM
That was the original plan, until it became clear that I needed to have another surgery. I'm thinking I might as well do it at the same time since I will already be under general anesthesia, off work, and in the hospital for a reconstruction related surgery. DH might still do it, but I want to explore all the options first. I am a bit ticked at DH...for years he was all for getting a vasectomy and I wasn't, now that I'm on board, he's shying away. He doesn't like the idea of doing it without general anesthesia. I told him he's looking for sympathy from the wrong person :)

When I had my c-section they contemplated doing another surgical procedure (not birth control-related) at the same time, but decided not to. Studies show that every additional one increases the risks of complications even if its within the same surgery. I think it would also lengthen your recovery time. I'd talk to your surgeon about the increased risks and what they recommend, but if it were me in your situation I would have your DH get the V, if you know you are done having children and aren't morally opposed to sterilization.

niccig
05-13-2013, 01:09 AM
When I had my c-section they contemplated doing another surgical procedure (not birth control-related) at the same time, but decided not to. Studies show that every additional one increases the risks of complications even if its within the same surgery. I think it would also lengthen your recovery time. I'd talk to your surgeon about the increased risks and what they recommend, but if it were me in your situation I would have your DH get the V, if you know you are done having children and aren't morally opposed to sterilization.

:yeahthat: and I think you'll have enough to recover from with the reconstruction w/o also have recovery in abdomen from tubal ligation. If anyone has a reason to tell their DH they've had enough surgeries so he needs to man up, it is you. You've gone through enough, his turn. :hug:.

And they can do a V under twilight sleep. DH fainted at his initial appt to discuss a V and Dr. said DH would need to do twilight sleep. We ended up canceling the V as obvious that DH wasn't ready for it. Though, I'm getting to point where he needs to do something as I am DONE shouldering responsibility of BC.

Cam&Clay
05-13-2013, 08:59 AM
Gonna come right out and say this...

You've had breast cancer. It's his turn. He should have a vasectomy.

Binkandabee
05-15-2013, 12:06 PM
I'm curious from those who say its DH's turn...what is the reasoning behind that? I'm already having another surgery. I'm already going to be under general anesthesia and it just makes sense to me to have a permanent birth control done at the same time. If DH gets a vasectomy...then we're both going to be having surgery.

I'm not worried about tacking on an additional procedure. My surgery in October was MAJOR....double mastectomy, lymph node biopsies, harvesting of abdominal fat flap for reconstruction, transfer of abdominal flap and then the actual reconstruction. I made it through without a single complication or set back. Some of these permanent options pale in comparison.

I'm really just trying to see if there's something obvious I'm missing.

essnce629
05-15-2013, 02:11 PM
I'm curious from those who say its DH's turn...what is the reasoning behind that? I'm already having another surgery. I'm already going to be under general anesthesia and it just makes sense to me to have a permanent birth control done at the same time. If DH gets a vasectomy...then we're both going to be having surgery.

I'm not worried about tacking on an additional procedure. My surgery in October was MAJOR....double mastectomy, lymph node biopsies, harvesting of abdominal fat flap for reconstruction, transfer of abdominal flap and then the actual reconstruction. I made it through without a single complication or set back. Some of these permanent options pale in comparison.

I'm really just trying to see if there's something obvious I'm missing.

Google "post tubal ligation syndrome." For me, I would avoid getting my tubes tied and would have DBF get a vasectomy. I wouldn't want to deal with post tubal ligation syndrome, even if the risk is small.

"Post-tubal ligation syndrome includes pain during intercourse, aching lower back, premenstrual tension syndrome, difficulty in menstruating, uterine hemorrhage, and absence of menstruation. The syndrome is caused by blood circulation problems in and around the Fallopian tubes and ovaries, pressure on nerves, and intrapelvic adhesion. Differentiating between this syndrome and endometritis during diagnosis and differentiating between functional hemorrhage due to hormonal abnormality and anatomical hemorrhage due to polyp or tumor is very important. Since the symptoms of this syndrome are mild, simple symptomatic treatment is sufficient in most cases. In some cases, however, desquamation surgery or reversal of tubal ligation may be necessary. Endoscopic surgery is also available. In Japan, because of widespread use of condoms and IUDs, tubal ligation is not very common."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7757737