PDA

View Full Version : Uppababy Vista or Micralite Superlite for toddler? ETA/Update Bumbleride vs Vista?

323dweller
05-03-2013, 10:02 AM
Hi experts! I know it seems odd to be deciding between a Vista and a Superlite Fastfold, but that's what's in my head. For reasons I won't get into,I need to replace my neighborhood walking stroller for my almost-21-month-old. I was thinking I might look for a nice used Vista, because I like the seat, how high it sits, the big basket, and I know my son is comfortable in them because we had a Cruz. And the people I know who have Vistas love them, except for the weight.

However, someone in my son's baby gym class has a Micralite Fastfold Superlite, and it looks cool. The big tires, the ventilation. Seems like it has a comfortable ride, too. And it would be easier to pack up for the zoo, etc (btw our car stroller is a Maclaren Quest Sport).

Our neighborhood has broken, bumpy sidewalks. We walk a fair distance over these to picnic at a park, which is why the Uppababy baskets are so appealing, by maybe it's silly to buy a Vista now that my son is almost 2? What would you guys recommend? I want to keep it under $450 and I don't want a jogging stroller. By the way, my son is around 90th percentile weight/height.

Thanks for any suggestions!

kep
05-03-2013, 10:39 AM
Definately a Fastfold. We have a Cruz too, and a 19 month old. I can't imagine going to something larger/heavier/bulkier than the Cruz. I would totally get the Fastfold, with a single Bob being my second choice.

ETA: I would throw some stroller hooks on it for extra storage.

323dweller
05-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Thanks, kep. I should clarify that this stroller would replace the Cruz and probably wouldn't be folded up much. In your opinion, is the Micralite comfortable enough for a long-walk stroller? Also my son likes to sit very upright; I think he'd be miserable in a Bob.

amom526
05-03-2013, 12:19 PM
What about a baby jogger versa? I just got one and love it. My tall 2 year old still fits well in it. It has a HUGE basket, similar to the vista

kep
05-03-2013, 02:26 PM
What about a baby jogger versa? I just got one and love it. My tall 2 year old still fits well in it. It has a HUGE basket, similar to the vista

I second the BJ rec. The seat is more upright and it's better suited for outside walks then the Versa.

3sweetgirls
05-03-2013, 02:58 PM
The Micralite is awesome for long walks because of the air tires. I don't particularly like the storage. There's a strap right down the middle of the basket that prevents say a diaper bag from being stored in it.

It is a comfortable ride but if your little one sleeps in it at all it may not be. The seat reclines but I found that when my dd fell asleep in it her head would fall over the side of the seat because it's so narrow at the top of the seat. When I figured out this would happen I would watch her and her slide her head back on the seat before it leaned over the side. Don't know if that makes sense.

I've never had a Vista so I can't comment on that one.

323dweller
05-03-2013, 04:05 PM
3sweetgirls, that's very helpful, and I understand exactly what you mean about the head falling out the side of the stroller. It certainly does look narrow at the top. I didn't realize storage was so limited.

amom526 and kep, thank you for the City Versa suggestion. I had thought the big rear tires on the Vista meant that it would handle bumps better than the Versa. Is that not the case? I don't want to end up with something that feels like the Cruz.

crl
05-03-2013, 06:36 PM
Dd destroyed our superlite by tearing the crotch strap out of the seat. I replaced it with a Bob. The superlite was nice because it folded up so small, but we have a garage now and I am so happy to have a bob again. The push is so much better. And the front air tire means I can take on our neighborhood's broken sidewalks at my regular walking pace instead of slowing down for the broken parts. Better basket too. And substantially better canopy. Much more solid build as well. I am pretty darn sure even dd can't destroy a bob. So, so happy to have a bob!

I would only recommend the superlite where you really need the fold/light weight, so travel or city living with storage issues and/or use of public transit.

(I have pushed a neighbor's vista and wasn't all that impressed with the push, by the way.)

Catherine

3sweetgirls
05-03-2013, 09:00 PM
I would only recommend the superlite where you really need the fold/light weight, so travel or city living with storage issues and/or use of public transit.
:yeahthat:

323dweller
05-03-2013, 11:08 PM
Oh dear. Crl, that's alarming that your DD was able to ruin the Micralite that way. I totally get why people like Bobs, but I know my son would hate sitting in one, and pretty sure my husband thinks it's overkill for us.

So any more thoughts on the City Versa? Anyone know how it handles as compared to a Vista?

crl
05-03-2013, 11:38 PM
Oh dear. Crl, that's alarming that your DD was able to ruin the Micralite that way. I totally get why people like Bobs, but I know my son would hate sitting in one, and pretty sure my husband thinks it's overkill for us.

So any more thoughts on the City Versa? Anyone know how it handles as compared to a Vista?

Dd is pretty talented at destruction, but she pulled it out just having a tantrum while sitting in the seat; it's not like she took scissors to it or anything. So, I do think it is a quality issue. Not sure of course if we got a bum one somehow in that regard although it didn't have any visible flaws.

I'm not much help on the seat upright thing, because my kids have never cared (both have loved our bobs). I am not sure the fastfold is any better than a bob for an upright seat though. Its a mesh sling type seat and not all that supportive. I do think a Mountian Buggy or the Bumbleride Indie would offer a much more upright seat with the advantages of air tires. Bobs have better resale value than MBs and much better canopies than the Swift (the only MB I have had) though.

No experience of any kind with baby joggers.

Catherine

PZMommy
05-04-2013, 12:53 AM

Personally, I love the Vista compared to the Versa. I had a Versa that was recalled and had major issues with Baby Jogger, so my feelings are a bit tainted, but overall, I like that the Vista seat is up higher, and I think it pushes better. Size wise, it isn't that much bigger.

AnnieW625
05-04-2013, 01:41 AM
I bought my Vista in 2008 when there wasn't much in the AT market that wasn't a jogger and had a bassinet that wasn't a Bugaboo and wasn't $900. I liked it for what it was and I am glad we had it because DD2 would only sleep in the Vista basinet (unless she was in a stroller or a car seat) until she was 2 months old or so. We ended up selling it when DD2 was 15 months old. I used it with DD1 until she was almost 4 (and I pushed her in it while I was pregnant with baby 2, and DD2) so I did get lots of use out of it. Now if I were to have another kid would I might think about buying one again, but I also think they have also fixed a lot of things that I didn't like about mine now (esp. in regards to the wheels, mine had really uneven tread wear issues) so it is probably a better all around stroller now.

I will say though nothing pushes or will seem to push as easy as Bob Revolution. I have owned 3 (first a Duallie, sold that, bought a used 2009, which was stolen off my front lawn, and now a 2012) and they are great.

I might look at a Mountain Buggy as well, but no one here sells them in person and I am huge about trying things out in a store before buying, and like CRL said Bobs hold their value better at least in my area.

Multimama
05-04-2013, 07:03 AM

I agree with this, absolutely. I loved our Superlite and it met our needs for public transport/storage, but after 1.5 years of heavy use it is really showing its age and I'm honestly not sure I could resell it for much. The basket is entirely destroyed and the extension handles have issues, among other things. Also Micralite has left the US market so customer support is non-existant. (I couldn't get a response from Micralite in the UK.) It's great if you need its features, but otherwise I would get something sturdier. We use a Bob Motion now.

kaharris83
05-04-2013, 07:55 AM
I love, love, love our Versa. It is awesome!! Great compact one handed fold, one handed push with my 35lb preschooler, great basket, great push indoors and out... Do you happen to have a Buy Buy Baby nearby? I found comparing strollers side by side to be super helpful. They carry both in store.

323dweller
05-04-2013, 10:11 AM
PZMommy, Annie, so glad some people with positive things to say about the Vista chimed in! I am leaning back toward the Vista now because I see that even the Versa doesn't sit terribly upright.

I'll do a little more looking into AT strollers, but dh isn't going to like that much, and I suspect they're all too reclined.

No BBB nearby, sadly. Maybe I'll go into one of our baby boutiques. Aggressive salespeople, though. :/

crl
05-04-2013, 12:03 PM
PZMommy, Annie, so glad some people with positive things to say about the Vista chimed in! I am leaning back toward the Vista now because I see that even the Versa doesn't sit terribly upright.

I'll do a little more looking into AT strollers, but dh isn't going to like that much, and I suspect they're all too reclined.

No BBB nearby, sadly. Maybe I'll go into one of our baby boutiques. Aggressive salespeople, though. :/

Just curious why your dh objects to AT. Mine loves our bob and just rolls his eyes at all the strollers I went through in between them (one bob with older ds and a bob now with dd). They are by far his favorite of the strollers we have had.

Anyway, the Bumbleride Indie has a VERY upright (and cushy) seat. And the Mountain Buggies seats are pretty upright too.

And all three of the ones I have mentioned handle bumpy sidewalks much better than the Vista, IMO. I just think most people love the Vista as a baby stroller but not so much as a toddler stroller. It's an awfully big and heavy stroller to not even get air tires out of the deal.

Catherine

Kaylee31
05-04-2013, 01:09 PM
Just curious why your dh objects to AT. Mine loves our bob and just rolls his eyes at all the strollers I went through in between them (one bob with older ds and a bob now with dd). They are by far his favorite of the strollers we have had.

Anyway, the Bumbleride Indie has a VERY upright (and cushy) seat. And the Mountain Buggies seats are pretty upright too.

And all three of the ones I have mentioned handle bumpy sidewalks much better than the Vista, IMO. I just think most people love the Vista as a baby stroller but not so much as a toddler stroller. It's an awfully big and heavy stroller to not even get air tires out of the deal.

Catherine

That is exactly how I felt about the Vista. I loved it for the newborn stage, but by the time DD was 6 months old, I couldn't wait to get rid of it. Now I have a versa that I love so much more-- better push indoors & out, much easier and more compAct fold, better suspension. I sometimes wish the seat sat higher, but on the flip side I can see much better over it than the Vista since I'm only 5`2". I think the Versa seat is equally upright, have but it only has 3 positions vs 4 for the Vista. I have an Indie and a Mountain buggy Plus One but use the Versa the majority of the time. I have a superlite in storage that I really like but will probably end up selling. I think it's a great toddler stroller and a better alternative than an umbrella, but it's definitely not a true all terrain stroller and the storage is lacking (I used skip hop saddlebags on mine for storage and to cut down on the tippyness).
Just my opinion, but if I was getting a new stroller for a 2 yr old, with your wish list & budget, I'd get an Indie. Nothing beats air tires for walks, and the indie seat is firmer & more upright than other ATs like Bobs; it has a great canopy & basket and is fairly light.

323dweller
05-04-2013, 03:21 PM
Thanks, crl and kaylee. Will def look into the Indie. I think DH just thinks AT strollers are more than we need, since we won't be running. I think he also worries that I will regret choosing another stroller over the Vista yet again, when I have the opportunity to finally get one.

mjs64
05-04-2013, 04:41 PM
I've had my Micralite for a year an a half, and while it doesn't look as good as it did, I still love it. It's the light weightedness and the one handed push, really. Since these are most important criteria for me, it works. It's terrific for the zoo. Adding third party storage (search old threads for Micralite for ideas), esp the Diono console, helps. I carry less and less as DS gets older and don't miss the basket too much.

I don't know if it would hold up for 2 kids, so if I ever have another, I'll get something else. It's been great for our needs.

tribe pride
05-04-2013, 04:53 PM
I've never owned an Indie, but agree with PP- it sounds great for your needs. As someone else mentioned, I've also had quality issues with BJ (not the Versa, but a City Classic), and did not find their CS particulalry helpful. That experience has led me to not want to recommend BJs to anyone, unfortunately, even though the Versa does look very nice.

Also, I just wanted to throw out that Valcos are very upright strollers, with very high seatbacks, good storage, and excellent canopies and push. I have a Quad, which is discontinued but still available on amazon (and pretty cheap, too!), and I love it. It is an AT hybrid, with rear air tires and a great push. We use it for long walks over bumpy sidewalks, etc. I love it for city or suburban dwelling, but wouldn't recommend it for hiking or major off-roading or anything. I think that the Valco Zee basically replace the Quad. The Zee looks really nice and gets good reviews. And I love the color options. But the handle isn't adjustable, I don't think, if that is important to you.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. I'd recommend an Indie or maybe a Quad or Zee in your shoes. I just don't like Bjs, and think the Vista would be overkill with a 2yo.

Multimama
05-04-2013, 08:54 PM
I've had my Micralite for a year an a half, and while it doesn't look as good as it did, I still love it. It's the light weightedness and the one handed push, really. Since these are most important criteria for me, it works. It's terrific for the zoo. Adding third party storage (search old threads for Micralite for ideas), esp the Diono console, helps. I carry less and less as DS gets older and don't miss the basket too much.

This is true. You really can't beat the push on the Superlite for how lightweight it is. And it is a great toddler stroller. But if you don't need a stroller that lightweight i would personally get something more substantial. An Indie sounds nice. I wouldn't buy a Vista for a 2-year-old unless you plan on having more kids.

323dweller
05-05-2013, 12:21 AM
I wouldn't buy a Vista for a 2-year-old unless you plan on having more kids.

Yeah, no idea. I refuse to think about it for another 4 months or so. :)

The Indie looks great; still seems pretty reclined from what I can see online, but I will go check it out in person soon and find out whether DS seems happy in it. Looking at the specs, I just want to be sure DS doesn't outgrow it soon. The weight limit is 45lbs. My son is 30-ish lbs and long-torsoed...

Valcos and Mountain Buggys look good too. Confusion!

crl
05-05-2013, 02:37 AM
Yeah, no idea. I refuse to think about it for another 4 months or so. :)

The Indie looks great; still seems pretty reclined from what I can see online, but I will go check it out in person soon and find out whether DS seems happy in it. Looking at the specs, I just want to be sure DS doesn't outgrow it soon. The weight limit is 45lbs. My son is 30-ish lbs and long-torsoed...

Valcos and Mountain Buggys look good too. Confusion!

The indie has a very upright seat position--at least mine sure did.

I wouldn't worry much about the 45 pound weight limit for two reasons, one is that with strollers, unlike car seats, that's more of a guideline, the other is that kids slow waaaayy down in growth around age two. You almost certainly have a long time before your kiddo puts on another fifteen pounds.

My one piece of advice on the indie is that with a toddler, I would resist the temptation of the pretty, pretty fabrics and get a dark color that won't show grime as much.

The MBs have much less resale value in my area. And the Swift has 10 inch tires which means special order inner tubes if you get a flat. The Swift also has a worse canopy and a smaller basket. Never had any of the other MB models. I have heard the Terrain has a better canopy and basket, but it is also a bigger and heavier stroller.

Never had a quad so I can't comment on it.

Catherine

ETA. Here's a previous thread where another poster affirmed that the Indie has an upright seat position: http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=404158&highlight=Indie+upright

And another: http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=441410&highlight=Upright+indie

hapimommy
05-05-2013, 03:25 AM
I love my micralite superlite. It happens to be DD's favorite single also. I love it so much that I bought crl's broken one. (In an attempt to fix it for dh's car).You wouldn't believe how excited I was when I saw it on cl. Thanks Catherine! The reason is the light weight, the easy fold, the air tires, and the one handed push. I attach my skip hop dash deluxe on the front, a snack pod to the side, and a bevi buddy to the handle bar, and it works perfectly indoors and outdoors for me. Dd loves to sit upright, but is happy with the seat recline, and she will sleep for the longest amount of time in the superlite. As for comparisons to my other strollers, I felt that the vista just became too big for me to use as a single, and did not work well as a double since ds is so large. The push became much harder once ds reached 40 lbs. The micralite works just fine with him in the seat, and even if he sits on the englacha board attached to the micralite when dd is in it. I do not have a versa, but I do have a city select, and that stroller also feels super large when I am pushing it around as a single. It also is double the weight of the micralite, so harder to toss in the car. I am in the process of selling the bob revolution because it is so awkward to fold and feels like overkill to walk in the neighborhood with. Ds also loves the micralite, but I tend to use a double when he wants to sit, and his ultimate favorite is the bee minus because he wants to see his mom, instead of the outside world.

323dweller
05-05-2013, 10:48 AM
The Indie definitely sounds like a contender! Crl, thanks for all those tips; I definitely wouldn't have thought about the air tire size issue.

And now I want an Indie *and* a Superlite. I'd just have to stalk Craigslist and eBay for a Superlite if I did want one, right? No retailers have them anymore?

crl
05-05-2013, 10:59 AM
The Indie definitely sounds like a contender! Crl, thanks for all those tips; I definitely wouldn't have thought about the air tire size issue.

And now I want an Indie *and* a Superlite. I'd just have to stalk Craigslist and eBay for a Superlite if I did want one, right? No retailers have them anymore?

I bought mine NIB off eBay, but that's been awhile ago now.

I suppose it is possible some store still has some in stock. They are no longer supported by micralite though as the company is no longer in the US market.

You could also try the yahoo stroller swap group.

They were never very common and since they don't seem to hold up really well I think it would be tough to find on on CL.

Catherine

ETA. For me the Micralite handlebar extenders were an essential accessory. It's hard to explain but to steer the stroller one handed I had to use the center of the handlebars, which was also the low point. That caused me to kick the tires when I walked. The handlebar extenders coud be swiveled in and I gained enough distance from the stroller to walk without kicking it.

ETA again: a lot of people here love the MB Swift so you might do a search and read their thoughts as well. I really preferred my indie over my swifts--did a review comparing them even. If you decide on the Swift, you could buy a couple of spare inner tubes and just keep them on hand in case of flat.

323dweller
05-11-2013, 03:00 PM
Okay! I finally was able to check out the Bumbleride Indie in person. I really liked it, but as I feared the seat was too reclined for DS. Is this something he'll adjust to? There's no wedge-type insert or anything i can do for that, is there? The other issue is that with the sunshade closed, his head grazes the fabric. Don't know if that was a fluke with the floor model, but it did the same with the City Mini GT, which I tried for the heck of it. Believe it or not, we frequently keep the sunshade pulled back.

Oddly enough, I also have the opportunity to buy a brand-new Vista without the bassinet for $400! This would give me the seat I know DS likes, the nice standing fold, and the huge basket. But now I am confused...are the Bumbleride air tires really superior to the Vista's? Why don't any of these stores have in-house all-terrain obstacle courses? As a reminder, I'm going to be using this stroller on grass, on uprooted sidewalks, in a neighborhood where there are high curbs and few ramps. I will be carrying picnic blanket, food, etc.

What do you experts think?

crl
05-11-2013, 04:09 PM
I really prefer air tires for the uses you are describing. I have pushed a vista on those kinds of surfaces and felt the push was inferior to all the AT strollers I have had.

But, if the indie seat is too reclined, I'm not sure what your air tire options would be. Are you sure you had it all the way up? It's the most upright of any of the strollers I have owned. Swift is not any better, maybe worse. Bob is definitely worse. (And for that matter, the micralite superlite fast fold is worse so I wouldn't go stalking one of those.) I don't know about the Valco models.

Can't help with the canopy. I am sun paranoid and insist on the canopy being down.

Catherine

ebp913
05-13-2013, 10:26 AM
Okay! I finally was able to check out the Bumbleride Indie in person. I really liked it, but as I feared the seat was too reclined for DS. Is this something he'll adjust to? There's no wedge-type insert or anything i can do for that, is there? The other issue is that with the sunshade closed, his head grazes the fabric. Don't know if that was a fluke with the floor model, but it did the same with the City Mini GT, which I tried for the heck of it. Believe it or not, we frequently keep the sunshade pulled back.

Oddly enough, I also have the opportunity to buy a brand-new Vista without the bassinet for $400! This would give me the seat I know DS likes, the nice standing fold, and the huge basket. But now I am confused...are the Bumbleride air tires really superior to the Vista's? Why don't any of these stores have in-house all-terrain obstacle courses? As a reminder, I'm going to be using this stroller on grass, on uprooted sidewalks, in a neighborhood where there are high curbs and few ramps. I will be carrying picnic blanket, food, etc.

What do you experts think?

I had a Vista and now I have an Indie Twin and I do appreciate the air tires but at the time I had the Vista, I hadn't experienced them and I thought the Vista was pretty darn good on the exact same terrain you describe. If you've been spoiled by strollers with an amazing push it might be harder for you to like the Vista. However... I still loved my Vista and thought it did really quite well on that terrain. Not amazing but pretty good and it was worth it for me to give up a bit on the push to have the other features like the canopy, basket, and reversible seat.

323dweller
05-13-2013, 11:32 AM
Thanks, Catherine and ebp. My H is on board with an AT stroller now, so I'm going to try to get him to the store to try both the Indie and the Vista. He likes the idea of the City Mini GT, but I think that's going to give us none of the things we want.

The store I visited assured me that the Indie seat was as upright as possible. Maybe DS was slouching or something. Will try again.

323dweller
05-14-2013, 05:03 PM
RESOLVED. We're going to get the Indie. Yay!

But we're headed out of town for a couple weeks, so now I have to be patient and wait to order. Boo.

Thanks, everyone, for your input! If anyone happens to know if I can get a 2013 Indie discounted anywhere, please do let me know! Otherwise , thanks again for all the suggestions.

crl
05-14-2013, 05:56 PM
RESOLVED. We're going to get the Indie. Yay!

But we're headed out of town for a couple weeks, so now I have to be patient and wait to order. Boo.

Thanks, everyone, for your input! If anyone happens to know if I can get a 2013 Indie discounted anywhere, please do let me know! Otherwise , thanks again for all the suggestions.

Hope you love it! You could try calling Land of Nod's outlet, apparently they sometimes have a return in and will ship.

Catherine