PDA

View Full Version : Early PT Question

Suzan
05-03-2013, 03:48 PM
I am new to the forums so I am sorry if this has been asked before. I am the proud mommy of a beautiful DD. She is just 13 months old but I think she maybe ready to start potty training. She will walk into the bathroom on her own (maybe cause she likes bath time). She has started taking off her diaper if she does not have pants on. She will run around and play with it off then run back to it and hold it to her front. She will let me put it back on then she will pee, then take it back off. She is also at the point where 99% of the time changing her diaper results in her throwing a terrible fit. So I am pretty sure she is ready. We have a cushy seat for on the big potty, which we tried on the fly, but she does not like that one bit. We went and had her pick a potty she liked, we did not buy it yet because I want to do a bit more research first. I was wondering if anyone has any advice for potty training at this age or suggested reading for me to help us along. Thanks in advance!

Suzan

ArizonaGirl
05-03-2013, 11:26 PM
Welcome :waving4:

You can certainly try it and see how she takes to it. As far as potties go, it really is a user preference here, but the Bjorn potties get a lot of love. We had a cheap froggie potty from the store and DS loved it.

I would grab one and let her lead the way. :cheerleader1:

MaiseyDog
05-07-2013, 03:30 PM
I definately think there are windows of opportunity that make potty training easier and you may be in one. DD1 was potty trained by 18 months so I definately think it's possible. If she's interested in it now, I'd just follow her lead. If she loses interest, know that it will come back at another point.

I don't have any rec for potties I think that people pick different ones for different reasons. We had a really basic potty from First Years. It worked fine for us. Both my girls did not like the potty seat on the toilet until they were about 3 yo. They liked having their feet on the ground so the potty chair worked better.

Good luck!

BabbyO
05-07-2013, 04:22 PM
I'd definitely agree with PP's. Seize the day....but don't be disappointed if she reverts. It is all good experience. My son was 99% PT at about 2.5 when I went back to work after maternity leave (we started pt-ing by following his lead). When I went back to work he wanted NOTHING to do with the potty at home, but would still go at the sitters/daycare.

Potties are a personal preference. We have the froggy, too! But I totally agree...there is something about having their feet on the floor - at least a first that most kiddos seem to prefer. Stachio's feet still don't reach the floor, but he can get on and off without help and that was when he started being comfortable using the big potty.

Good Luck!

citymama
05-07-2013, 04:32 PM
Yay for PTing! If she is interested, I would follow her lead. I *highly* recommend the Bjorn potty seat (the one with the removable insert) - sturdy, easy to clean, ergonomic, and easy for them to get to without needing help climbing on and off. My older DD used to use it starting at 18 months. If you decide to go with training underwear once she is regularly using the potty during the day, we really like the Hanna Andersson trainers (bought by phone order from one of the outlets). Like the others have said, I would go for it, but don't stress out if it isn't working. Once you switch to underwear and she is reliably using the potty, don't go back to diapers during waking hours. The back and forth is confusing to them, especially when they're so young. Oh, and expect accidents! Good luck!

Simon
05-08-2013, 02:16 PM
I highly recommend the larger Baby Bjorn potty. The style with the higher back and the white insert. Good support under the feet is important for correctly pushing while they poop. Also, its manageable for them to use it themselves i.e. they don't need adult help). We start young with our kids and at 13 mo Ds3 was walking to his little potty and sitting down when he needed to go (often he had a diaper on, but he clearly understood the connection, kwim?). We use a really laid back approach and so far Ds1 and Ds2 were out of diapers by 18 and 19 months. At the moment, Ds3 is in day care so we only use the potty at home in the morning before school (wake up, take off overnight diaper, sit on the potty) and in the evenings. On the weekends we make it available for him to use more but we just make it a natural part of our routines. We don't use rewards other than praise (yay, you went on the potty).

I think the most important thing is that you help teach her that the potty is the right place for pee/poop and to recognize the feeling of needing to go. IME, staring young has helped us avoid a lot the problems that come with older toddlers and power struggles over using the potty.

momm
05-08-2013, 02:23 PM
Absolutely! Go for it! DS potty trained for poop at 11 months, and was completely diaper free at 18 months, night and naps as well. I just used the simple IKEA potty - you can't beat the price at $5.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30193163/

I recommend this book highly: The diaper free baby (http://www.amazon.com/dp/0061229709/ref=as_li_ss_til?tag=fromonedesimo-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=0061229709&adid=1SXMJ85A16CBXGPGQDFW).

Also if you google using the terms "elimination communication", you will find better results than "early potty training"

Here are a couple of blog posts on the basics (http://www.adesimom.com/search/label/elimination%20communication).

Feel free to PM me for any questions. As you can tell, I highly recommend this process.. I've loved it!

Suzan
05-09-2013, 03:32 PM
Thank you all so very much for your help and suggestions. I will be looking into the elimination communication as suggested and see if I can get my hands on the book. Please feel free to offer more advice as I am sure it couldn’t hurt. :)

babyfiorina1
05-15-2013, 11:51 PM
Absolutely! Go for it! DS potty trained for poop at 11 months, and was completely diaper free at 18 months, night and naps as well. I just used the simple IKEA potty - you can't beat the price at $5.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30193163/

I recommend this book highly: The diaper free baby (http://www.amazon.com/dp/0061229709/ref=as_li_ss_til?tag=fromonedesimo-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=0061229709&adid=1SXMJ85A16CBXGPGQDFW).

Also if you google using the terms "elimination communication", you will find better results than "early potty training"

Here are a couple of blog posts on the basics (http://www.adesimom.com/search/label/elimination%20communication).

Feel free to PM me for any questions. As you can tell, I highly recommend this process.. I've loved it!

Sorry for jumping into this thread, but I'm gonna check out the diaper free baby book. Thank you!! I just started potty training DD today (day 1) and she's 29 months. She kept on asking for undies and sitting on her potty chair. She was interested in potty at 18 months, but only for pooping! never for peeing! She'll tell me if she wants to poop and quickly ran to the regular toilet seat we use (we have insert on) and has been very consistent about it up to this date (fingers crossed). Just the peeing part that she didn't care until today. I stripped her down and let her drink lots of juice and water and I also got her a doll that wets when you squeeze the tummy and when she saw the "pee" streaming out from the doll, somehow it just clicked I supposed. She has some accidents but she went to pee at the potty for the rest of the day and told me she did and happily clapping her hands each time. I tried not to put on diaper for nap, but she had accident, so I did put pull-ups (and tell her it's also a new underwear) for night time. We'll see how things go from here!

Good luck with the potty training :)