PDA

View Full Version : Please help me think through stroller scenarios for new location! (Sorry it's long)

KonzaPrairie
05-03-2013, 05:31 PM
My DH recently accepted a job in the middle east. I have an 18 month old and one on the way, they will be 23 months apart. Baby will ideally be born about 2 months after we arrive. We will be living on a compound. It is company policy that no one drives themselves anywhere, instead we will have drivers pick us up at our house and take us where ever we want to go. Which means every time I want to go somewhere off the compound, I will have to carry both carseats, both kids, and a stroller/carrier/diaper bag into the car. I should be able to leave the carseats in the car while we're out shopping.

I see us leaving the compound once or twice a week to go grocery shopping and recreational shopping. In this country there really isn't other things to do, so we will probably spend a lot of time on the compound. It has nice paved roads, several playgrounds, and is on a beach. There are a lot of families that live there so I also anticipate walking across the compound to playdates. DD1 will be in preschool on the compound a couple times a week and I'm sure I'll be walking her there with the baby. I will probably try to time trips off the compound so I'll only need to take the baby with me.

What I find most exciting about this move is the travel opportunities. Every 2-3 months my DH will get 1 to 3 weeks off to travel due to the lack of other entertainment in this country. We will have the opportunity to visit Europe, Africa, lots of the Middle East, India, the West Indies, etc. Very exciting however it's making me think carefully about what strollers and carseats we take!

I currently own an Uppa Cruz w/ infant snugseat, a Bob, and a Mac Triumph (at grandma's). I currently use the Cruz the most because it's my car stroller it's super easy to fold/unfold, and has a decent push for paved surfaces. We still occasionally use the reversed seat too. I also have an Ergo.

I want to buy a double because I think the age difference is close enough DD1 will still need to ride. Right now I'm leaning towards the Snap Dual because it's so light and I think that looks to be about the best double for travel, and it will be easy to take on shopping trips when I have both girls. I have a Chicco Keyfit and I think I can buy an adapter for the dual. I imagine I would mostly use the snap-n-go feature at airports. I am considering getting a different infant carseat (Cybex Aton or Uppababy Mesa).

For awhile I was thinking about getting a tandem, but those look so much heavier and awkward to travel with and I'm afraid I would get just as annoyed with them as I am with my Bob (i HATE folding and putting it in the car. So awkward).

As for singles, I think the Mac will be great to keep for travel or if I'm only out and about with DD1. For awhile I was thinking about selling the Cruz and getting something else just for the fun of trying something new, but I'm having a hard time wanting something else because there is a lot I love about the Cruz, especially for the newborn stage. I tried a Bee in the store last week and was disappointed at how difficult it was to fold and reverse the seat. Maybe the store model was sticky but this seemed downright ridiculous. Additionally the canopy is terrible compared to what I'm used to with the Cruz, and that will be important since we will be living in the desert! I thought about upgrading to the Vista but that seems overkill when I think I will mostly be in paved areas. We always have the Bob for the beach. I have the Uppa snugseat and it worked great for DD1 when she was an infant, so I don't feel the need to have a separate bassinet. I'm thinking I could get the hitchhiker or whatever Uppa's ridealong board is and then the Cruz could also be a makeshift double for walks across the compound. I think I could also use the Uppa snugseat in the Snap if needed during the infant stage.

Does it make sense to keep what I have for singles or sell some and go with something new? Does the Snap Dual sound like the right choice for a double? Is there any reason I should consider a tandem?

Thanks for bearing with me, any advice is appreciated!

Philly Mom
05-03-2013, 05:47 PM
I would also consider the bjcmd because it has two canopies and the snap only has 1. I agree that side by side seems the best and the lightest would be the snap and bjcmd.

bisous
05-03-2013, 06:19 PM
Hmm. Well, I'm going to have similar spacing to yours. Obviously, my circumstances are different but the stroller I'm considering might work for you too. I'm thinking of the b-ready!

Here's why:

First it could work for you in neighborhoods and on walks in the compound. I'm going by what I've read here. Also, I've heard that it has great canopies which will be essential for you.

Second, it could potentially be really nice to "load up" for when the car comes to get you. I'm envisioning both kids in the stroller, the infant seat "clicked" in, the larger car seat in the basket with the diaper bag. Load everybody up, install car seat for DC1 and put them in it, install infant car seat for DC2. Put stroller and diaper bag into car and you're good for your errand. The only circumstance that I can see this as less than ideal is if you cannot get from your door to the car with a stroller (like if you had to go down a huge flight of steps or something) and I'm not sure WHAT I would do in such a scenario!

I'm thinking it would nice for you when your oldest no longer wants to ride as well since the b-ready makes a nice single too.

roseyloxs
05-04-2013, 03:24 AM
I think a Cruz+piggyback, BOB and a snap dual will be a good line-up for you. I might also consider getting a second carrier if your DH is willing to wear your 2 year old while you wear the baby. We have a good selection of strollers but tend to go the carrier route more often then not in Europe (or the land of stairs as I call it). I like the toddler sized Kinderpack for 18 months+ but a lot people here also use Kelty style backpacks. Personally I think SSCs are more comfortable and are more compact for storage but to each their own.

As for the strollers I think the cruz, BOB and snap dual will be great for what you need. The snap dual should be good for going off the compound and shopping. The BOB and Cruz should serve you well on the compound and both can serve as makeshift doubles between the piggyback on the cruz and the footwell on the BOB. If you aren't comfortable traveling with the Cruz I would steal back your triumph from your parents. So you would have the option of travelling with a single stroller and one carrier instead of always travelling with a double.

KonzaPrairie
05-04-2013, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'm going to have to take DH to the store to try all these out! I hadn't considered the B-Ready but it does make sense to have a reversible that can convert to double if needed. Roxy thanks for the suggestion to buy a second carrier--that hadn't even been on my radar but that makes a lot of sense too!

I think I will steal the triumph back from my parents, they won't really need it now. Hope I have enough room in our new house to store all these strollers!