PDA

View Full Version : Diapers wre easier!

Kestrel
05-05-2013, 12:30 PM
Never thought I'd say this - but diapers were easier!

We just went on our first major day trip post-diapers. I swear we must have visited every public (and some private) bathroom along the way. I'm not kidding; every hour or less on an eighteen-hour trip. It was supposed to be a eleven-hour trip. I really think most of that difference is bathroom time.

Does this get better? and when????

For reference, DS is just over four, and has been dry in the daytime for a few months.

TwinFoxes
05-05-2013, 12:38 PM
I completely agree. I said if I had known what a pain going to the bathroom would be I would have put off potty training them! It does get better. My DDs PT right before age 3, and I say <6 months later it was better. They could better tell when they had to go, and didn't think every bathroom in the world was a new frontier they just had to see.

zukeypur
05-05-2013, 12:41 PM
Hahaha, you guys are making me feel so much better about DD who turned 3 in December and has yet to EVER pee in a potty. FWIW, I remember how bad that was with the last 2. I have a portable potty that uses grocery bags for the "bowl". It has lived in the car for 4 years and has seen more use than I ever thought possible.

queenmama
05-05-2013, 01:55 PM
DS trained at 3 but I don't remember how long it took to be 100% dry day and night. I do know that wiping him at the toilet as opposed to laying down is a pain in the butt, no pun intended. It was a long time before we "trusted" him enough to wipe himself thoroughly so we took care of it, and I recall thinking how much easier -- and faster! -- it was to do diapers!

Lara

gatorsmom
05-05-2013, 02:08 PM
Hahaha, you guys are making me feel so much better about DD who turned 3 in December and has yet to EVER pee in a potty. FWIW, I remember how bad that was with the last 2. .

:yeahthat: this is one of the reasons I put off potty training for my older 2 boys until they were 3.5yo. Diapers are easier much of the time.

TxCat
05-05-2013, 02:10 PM
I'm mentally cursing on a daily basis, DD's preschool "rule" that kids have to be potty trained for the early three- year old class (DD won't even be 3 yet when she starts in September). I would happily keep her in diapers for another year!

georgiegirl
05-05-2013, 03:39 PM
The first few months in underwear are a PITA. I do have to say its much easier with a boy in the summer. I would just pull over anywhere and let DS pee on the side of the road if necessary.

MommyAllison
05-05-2013, 04:39 PM
ITA, diapers are waaaay easier. Our city doesn't open the park bathrooms til Memorial Day, which is annoying since the weather this weekend is around 80 degrees - we've been using parks for 2 months already! DS is in the middle of baseball season and it is impossible to find open bathrooms during his games. DD2 keeps ripping her diapers off and wanting to potty train, but I am putting it off for now.

AustenFan
05-06-2013, 01:14 AM
Yep, I'm there, too. Honestly, we put the kids back in pull-ups for long car trips and all-day things like the zoo where I don't know if I'll be able to rush to a bathroom in time. Because we were in trainers/undies most of the time, I don't think those times in pull-ups harmed our progress much.

Clarity
05-06-2013, 09:30 AM
Bathroom trips are definitely one of the pitfalls of potty training. I hate it as much now as I did when the girls were potty training. Both of my girls pt'd by the time they were two and we've kept a portable potty in the car at all times. I highly recommond it if you travel with the kids (or end up somewhere that your only option is a porta-potty. *shudder* Nothing worse that taking a small child into one of those things.

alexsmommy
05-11-2013, 06:56 AM
I had planned to wait to pt DS3 until after our summer road trip, but he decided he was ready and will not wear diapers a few weeks ago. I'm dreading our road trip now. My only hope is DS2 knows that he wets when he sleeps and can usually be convinced to wear a pull up on long trips in case he takes a nap so I'm hoping I can get DS3 to do the same or I anticipate stopping every hour. Ugh.

AnnieW625
05-11-2013, 10:03 AM
Yep, I'm there, too. Honestly, we put the kids back in pull-ups for long car trips and all-day things like the zoo where I don't know if I'll be able to rush to a bathroom in time. Because we were in trainers/undies most of the time, I don't think those times in pull-ups harmed our progress much.

We did this with DD1 and will do this with DD2. DD2 just turned 3 and is just beginning to train but it just depends on her mood. She is going to preschool at her daycare this year and there is no pt requirement so I am not rushing her.

DD1 did not night train until she was 5/1/2, but was dry at nap most days by 4.

teresah00
05-11-2013, 10:11 AM
Haha. I never understood why people complained about two in diapers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk