PDA

View Full Version : Cloth diapering mamas - what's a good newborn stash?

jennilynn
05-05-2013, 11:34 PM
I part-time cloth diapered my boys, but not as newborns, and mostly used Bum Genius with velcro, which I didn't like. This time, I'd like to pretty much use cloth full time (until I go back to work, then we'll see how it goes.) I've bought some diapers and had some passed down to me, so I have a good variety. I have:
9 one-size pockets (Fuzzi Bunz, Baby Kicks and Charlie Banana)
2 NB Bum Genius all-in-one
2 NB Grovia all-in-one
2 preemie fitteds
3 Kissaluvs NB fitteds
14 infant prefolds
3 NB covers
3 small covers

Do you think this is enough? Too much? If it's too much, I can still return some that are brand new/unwashed.

AustenFan
05-06-2013, 01:02 AM
I think that sounds okay, depending on how often you want to do laundry. You might want to pick up some more prefolds to buy you another potential day between washings?

I have a 6.5 week old and 2 year old in diapers, so I'm usually washing every second night. It looks like we have fairly similar stashes:

My newborn has
5 AIO size smalls,
4 pocket one-sizes,
and 18 infant size prefolds with six covers (3 small, 3 one size)

(Today was day 3 and I didn't get around to washing last night, so I'm all through her stash and pulled some of the 2 year olds bigger prefolds this evening and am washing tonight. If I didn't have DD2's stuff, I'd have to put DD3 in disposables tonight.)

Also, we had belly button problems because the stump fell off too soon, so DD3 was in disposables for the first three weeks. I started CD-ing my first three as soon as the meconium cleared, though, with basically the same stash. My babies have been 7.10 or bigger, so I've never invested in preemie or newborn size--we jump right into infant size and small covers.

So yeah, I don't think you have too much. If you're not sure how long you'll keep cd-ing, prefolds are the cheapest way to expand your stash. If I were wanting to stretch out washing another day, I'd probably pick up another dozen infant size prefolds.