PDA

View Full Version : How short are your shorts?

ilfaith
05-06-2013, 08:58 AM
What is your preferred inseam length for shorts?

For me, I find the most flattering length to be about 4" (this year I am loving the shorts from Loft). I am short, with somewhat stubby legs, so I find that longer shorts make me look even shorter. On the other hand, a 3" inseam seems a bit too skimpy for this 40something mom.

ang79
05-06-2013, 09:45 AM
I tried on some 5" ones at ON and loved the length but their shorts always gap really bad in the waist for me so I returned them :( As a 33 yr. old mom of 2, I am also feeling like the 3" are getting too short for me (though I wear them if I'm just hanging out at home), but I'm only 5'2" and Bermuda's make my legs look short and chunky :( I was out shopping yesterday and all the shorts I saw were either Bermuda or the super short ones, what stores sell an in-between length (for a decent price?)

Last year I ended up wearing a lot of skirts or cotton sundresses instead of shorts because I have such a hard time finding shorts I like. Love the jersey skirts from ON with the roll down waists! And skirts always seem a bit cooler on really hot days anyways.

SnuggleBuggles
05-06-2013, 09:52 AM
I hate shorts. I've never found a good, flattering pair that is comfy. 4" is probably my zone though. I prefer skirts and dresses.

I did have a pair from ON last year that I loved. But on Sat. night (yes, after I'd been wearing the shorts all last year) I caught a glimpse from behind. Holy unflattering!! Those have now been relegated to around the house. My apologies to all that had to see that last year...I had no idea!

bigpassport
05-06-2013, 10:15 AM
My church advocates modest clothing, so just above the knee is the shortest my shorts go.

crl
05-06-2013, 10:27 AM
I am 5'7" with pasty white legs and veins and cellulite and I wear loooonng shorts. I find the really long shorts not only cover the worst part of my legs they also elongate the line making my legs look longer. My favorite pair stops just above my knees, rather than mid-thigh--which is the thickest part of my body so it would look terrible on me. Of course it doesn't get all that hot where I live so it's okay with the weather.

Catherine

queenmama
05-06-2013, 10:30 AM
My legs look best with an inseam around 32".

Lara

lizzywednesday
05-06-2013, 10:44 AM
I can't find Bermudas that flatter (I have very heavy legs) and have a tough time finding shorts that don't ride up ... so I wear skorts instead.

On the poll, I picked "I only wear skirts & dresses" because that's close enough.

I honestly do not own a pair of shorts that are not athletic wear.

joonbug
05-06-2013, 10:58 AM
I love shorts! Much more comfy than skirts which I usually wear with leggings, just for modesty at playgrounds eg and I find 3.5-4" inseam most flattering... Love boyfriend shorts which are a bit looser and longer by definition ;)

hellokitty
05-06-2013, 11:13 AM
I hate shorts too. I have very muscular calves and feel that shorts make my legs look heavier. I'm generally a skirt or skort person. If I wear shorts, I def avoid short shorts and Bermuda. The Bermuda shorts are just awful for my body type.

cono0507
05-06-2013, 11:25 AM
I hate shorts too. I have very muscular calves and feel that shorts make my legs look heavier. I'm generally a skirt or skort person. If I wear shorts, I def avoid short shorts and Bermuda. The Bermuda shorts are just awful for my body type.

This. Exactly.
I've finally stopped even trying on shorts anymore and accepted that I'm a skirt girl.

elektra
05-06-2013, 11:39 AM
Another shorts hater here too. My legs look ok from far away. Up close is a different story.
I have never found a short length I think works well. I have everything from very short (worn mostly over bathing suits) to bermuda. I basically avoid shorts as much as possible.

Giantbear
05-06-2013, 12:02 PM
i voted skirts and dresses, i have killer legs :)

wendibird22
05-06-2013, 12:06 PM

:hysterical:

I voted 5" but I'm a girl in transition to skirts. I'm only 5'2" and pear shaped so finding shorts that fit right in the rise and fit both my waist and hips is so hard. Last year I bought 2 ON foldover skirts and skort. This year I've already added 2 EB skorts to the mix. They are so much more flattering and easy to wear.

StantonHyde
05-06-2013, 12:23 PM
7" is the perfect length for me. I am tall but pear shaped. So Bermudas make me look like a marshmallow on a stick! I also love skirts for summer-just above the knee or so and I wear spandex shorts under them so I don't worry about how I splay my legs around.

hillview
05-06-2013, 12:25 PM
5" is the ABSOLUTE shortest I do (except for working out in) and that is VERY short for me. I am 5'10" so maybe height is a factor?

hellokitty
05-06-2013, 12:29 PM
This. Exactly.
I've finally stopped even trying on shorts anymore and accepted that I'm a skirt girl.

Yeah, I have gotten rid of almost all of my shorts. I have a few, half of them are exercise shorts. However, that thread last yr about wearing bike shorts underneath skirts was wonderful. That's what I basically do now when wearing skirts and I don't have to worry about being ladylike, lol.

ang79
05-06-2013, 12:47 PM
Yeah, I have gotten rid of almost all of my shorts. I have a few, half of them are exercise shorts. However, that thread last yr about wearing bike shorts underneath skirts was wonderful. That's what I basically do now when wearing skirts and I don't have to worry about being ladylike, lol.

Don't the bike shorts and skirt/dress get hot though? That's one reason I like wearing skirts vs. shorts, they feel cooler on sticky hot days. But I think I'd be even stickier w/ bike shorts on!

crl
05-06-2013, 12:57 PM

Pictures?

Catherine

♥ms.pacman♥
05-06-2013, 01:22 PM
i am 5'6" and have 3" shorts from my college days that i still wear :bag . typically nowadays i wear 5" shorts (athleta dipper), but nothing longer than that. i will be 35 this month (eek, hate saying that!). not a fan of bermuda shorts...they just don't look flattering on me.

i personally love shorts and wear them any chance i get...i will wear them if it s 60 degrees outside. I am very apple shaped, and dark, skinny legs so that is part of the reason...shorter shorts highlight the thinner/toned part so they don't focus on my squishy tummy & non-existent waist :) i also have pretty long legs (32" is the shortest inseam i can wear on pants)

citymama
05-06-2013, 01:54 PM
I'm wear capri length pants more typically. Shorts just on the beach - not a fan.

BabbyO
05-06-2013, 02:29 PM
I don't like bermudas - they just look silly on me...like someone cut off my pants. But I chafe terribly if I have short shorts...they have to be in the 6-7" range or I'm in pain. It is also the reason I can't wear skirts and skorts...chafing - I don't understand why this issue seems to be so unique to me. :(

joules
05-06-2013, 02:30 PM
I would live in shorts and tank if I could. I'm 5'2" and wear shorts around 3". I'm 36 this year, but look about 12...so I hope I can still get away with it for a while.

ZeeBaby
05-06-2013, 04:34 PM
I would live in shorts and tank if I could. I'm 5'2" and wear shorts around 3". I'm 36 this year, but look about 12...so I hope I can still get away with it for a while.

This, but I don't look 12 lol. I am not hippy and shorter shorts elongate my legs.

Mommy_Mea
05-06-2013, 04:49 PM
I hate shorts, I think I have officially given up on them. I am just as cool in capris, and even cooler in a skirt. Bermudas/walking shorts just get baggy and look awful on me.

I have one pair from talbots last year that is about 5" inseam. I barely got a chance to wear them the end of last year, fingers crossed I still like them this year.

YouAreTheFocus
05-06-2013, 05:08 PM
I hate shorts! I honestly can't even remember the last time I wore them. I always found them uncomfortable and unflattering. I stick with capris.

As an aside, I am having such a hard time finding capris this year! I was actually wondering if they are OOS(tyle)?

lcarlson90
05-06-2013, 07:09 PM
I always bought bermuda shorts because I thought I was too chubby for anything else. Last year I bought 5 inch shorts and realized that they made me look so much better. I think shorter women need shorter shorts.

twowhat?
05-06-2013, 09:54 PM
I like a 4-5 inch inseam (Athleta's Chimney Rock shorts fall into this category). Any shorter and you can start to see the dimpling on my thighs. Ick.

And I love the bermuda length too - they look good on me as long as they hit a sweet spot right at my kneecap and as long as they are slim enough. I have a few pairs of jcrew bermudas that are several years old that I just love in terms of length, but my muffin top makes it a challenge to wear them now (they are low-rise).

Anything in-between doesn't work for me. At least in my eyes. LOL.

alexsmommy
05-06-2013, 10:09 PM
All skorts all the time.

Ok, some skirts too.

I used to wear shorts, but skirts look so much better on me.

Mommy_Mea
05-07-2013, 05:54 AM
I like a 4-5 inch inseam (Athleta's Chimney Rock shorts fall into this category). Any shorter and you can start to see the dimpling on my thighs. Ick.

And I love the bermuda length too - they look good on me as long as they hit a sweet spot right at my kneecap and as long as they are slim enough. I have a few pairs of jcrew bermudas that are several years old that I just love in terms of length, but my muffin top makes it a challenge to wear them now (they are low-rise).

Anything in-between doesn't work for me. At least in my eyes. LOL.

Do the J Crew bermudas keep their slim cut? Bermudus look awesome on me until they stretch and get baggy, which is hard to figure out when I am trying them on at the store. I am a size 14, and I don't need the extra volume on my thighs when they get baggy, LOL!

Can anyone recommend a nice slim-cut bermuda that keeps its shape?

lizzywednesday
05-07-2013, 08:43 AM
I don't like bermudas - they just look silly on me...like someone cut off my pants. But I chafe terribly if I have short shorts...they have to be in the 6-7" range or I'm in pain. It is also the reason I can't wear skirts and skorts...chafing - I don't understand why this issue seems to be so unique to me. :(

Two words for you: Body Glide.

It's a commercial product that you slick on to reduce chafing.

You get it at running stores; it comes in a stick like deodorant.

Also, I get serious chafing issues, too, but canNOT wear capris. And I WILL not wear jeans in 80 degree heat. (Ours comes with humidity, so it's extra icky.)

sarahsthreads
05-07-2013, 08:51 AM
But I chafe terribly if I have short shorts...they have to be in the 6-7" range or I'm in pain. It is also the reason I can't wear skirts and skorts...chafing - I don't understand why this issue seems to be so unique to me. :(

No, it's not just unique to you! This is why I ignore the fashion advice and wear hose with dresses. It's either that or...well the alternative is not worth contemplating. My cousins and I (they're the closest I ever got to sisters) have always wondered if it's just us or if there are others with this issue. :)

I only wear burmudas and capris. I own a couple of pair that hit mid-thigh that unfortunately aren't particularly flattering to wear on the hottest of hot days, but any shorter than that and again, the above-mentioned discomfort.

I'm short and on the heavy side, but my thighs are much heavier than my calves, so just above the knee/just below the knee/mid-calf length things are all about as flattering as it gets for me. (Losing 50 pounds would be more flattering, but that's a work-in-progress that's on hold for at least the next few months!)

I'm actually kind of thrilled to be pregnant this summer, because the huge baby bump gets all the attention and nobody even notices the shorts/capris/whatever. ;)

Sarah :)

elbenn
05-07-2013, 08:58 AM
There was a thread about the chafing issue and bicycle shorts were recommended to wear with skirts and dresses and these petti-pants were also recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/007Lingerie-Cotton-Pettipants-Beige-S/dp/B002FS6A5E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367931454&sr=8-1&keywords=petti+pants

twowhat?
05-07-2013, 09:04 AM
Do the J Crew bermudas keep their slim cut? Bermudus look awesome on me until they stretch and get baggy, which is hard to figure out when I am trying them on at the store. I am a size 14, and I don't need the extra volume on my thighs when they get baggy, LOL!

Can anyone recommend a nice slim-cut bermuda that keeps its shape?

I've had thes J Crew bermudas for YEARS and yes they have keept their cut and haven't stretched. They are a poplin type of material. But I cannot vouch for the quality of their current bermudas:) Athleta might have some slim-cut bermudas in synthetics that might work. Here's one that actually says skinny leg:

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?vid=1&pid=903692052

AnnieW625
05-07-2013, 12:15 PM
It has to be a minimum of 6-7" and that is the max unless it is capris or ankle length pants. I can't wear Bermudas because they look like they cut me in half and they are not flattering at all. As I push closer to 40 I am slowly starting to learn that shorts just aren't as nice looking on my body as they once were and since I can't do Bermudas I am really short on options these days.

daniele_ut
05-08-2013, 05:58 PM
My church advocates modest clothing, so just above the knee is the shortest my shorts go.

:yeahthat:

hellokitty
05-08-2013, 06:58 PM
Don't the bike shorts and skirt/dress get hot though? That's one reason I like wearing skirts vs. shorts, they feel cooler on sticky hot days. But I think I'd be even stickier w/ bike shorts on!

I don't think that it seems too hot. However, I only wear skirts that are knee length or slightly shorter, due to the calves issue, if I wear longer skirts, it's unflattering.

niccig
05-08-2013, 08:15 PM
I wore wicking compression short + skirt in Hawaii in middle of summer. Not hot at all.