PDA

View Full Version : Stroller for LA/San Diego?

Ms B
05-06-2013, 09:44 AM
We are taking The Biscuit on a trip to LA and San Diego to see DB and the potential future sister-in-law. Plan is to spend one day with them in LA, then drive down to San Diego for a few nights.

We will want the stroller for the airport (plan to bungee the Scenara to it), for walking in LA (Farmer's Market, maybe Chinatown), and then in San Diego for the Zoo, maybe Legoland, an outlet mall, Balboa Park, and walking across the street to the beach from our hotel.

Current choices are our Bob Revo (older model) and the BJCM. While the ATs would be great, Bob is a beast to haul, so I figure that is out of the question.

Will the BJCM be destroyed if we gate check? Or should I try to find a gently used Maclaren or Cybex or a new City Micro (or something else) to bring?

Whatever we do will also be our plan for a fall trip to NYC, so this will not be just a one-time use. That said, with the Biscuit being big (35 inches, over 30 pounds at 20+ months), I figure that a number of strollers simply will not work next year and the $100 or so that used Maclarens and new City Micros go for here seems spendy.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks in advance!!

323dweller
05-07-2013, 10:49 AM
We live in LA and BJCMs are everywhere. I'd bring that one. Friends have gate-checked theirs without any problems. My 20mo is the same size as yours, and I feel like he already looks huge in our Mac Quest Sport, so your instinct may be right to skip that one. Plus the SD Zoo is so hilly; I'd hate pushing an umbrella stroller there. City Mini gets my vote.

ebp913
05-07-2013, 10:56 AM
I agree that using an umbrella at all those places would not be fun. I would do the CM or consider the Valco Snap. It seems like the ideal travel stroller but it's kind of unnecessary since you have the CM.

hihellonikki
05-07-2013, 04:22 PM
This San Diegan agrees with the suggestion to bring your City Mini.

ebp913
05-07-2013, 04:38 PM
This San Diegan agrees with the suggestion to bring your City Mini.

Instead of buying a new stroller for your trip, you could just get a travel bag to keep the stroller safer on the plane. That would be way cheaper!

Ms B
05-08-2013, 12:18 AM
This is all great advice, thanks! On your recommendations, I am going to go with the BJCM (with Mommy hooks and a parent console).

Any suggestions on the stroller bag?

meljc
05-08-2013, 01:15 PM
Great choice - you can't beat the BJCM canopy for LA sun :jammin: Ours travels in this: http://amzn.com/B000262HMQ As a bonus, you can fit whatever you want in there when you gate check the stroller, since no one will open the bag to look.

Kissmark
05-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Can someone pls tell me what makes the BJCM so great besides the big canopy and easy fold? Does it have a great push? Thanks

ebp913
05-08-2013, 06:15 PM
Can someone pls tell me what makes the BJCM so great besides the big canopy and easy fold? Does it have a great push? Thanks

It's good but not amazing. I think the fold is the biggest selling point. I feel like everyone has one and it's probably because it's sold in almost every baby store everywhere.