PDA

View Full Version : Yogurt for Diabetes patients

PMJ
05-09-2013, 09:19 AM
What would you recommend for Diabetic patients --- most of the yogurt in the grocery stores have so much sugar?

TIA

pb&j
05-09-2013, 09:21 AM
What would you recommend for Diabetic patients --- most of the yogurt in the grocery stores have so much sugar?

TIA

Is plain/unflavored too obvious?

Depending on the individual needs of the pt, they could potentially add some fruit or sweetener.

jent
05-09-2013, 09:26 AM
Personally, I've always found pre-sweetened yogurt too sweet. I buy plain and then mix in my own fruit and usually a little honey or maple syrup. Not as convenient as pre-packaged though.

I don't have diabetes, so I don't have to count carbs, but you could easily measure everything out and do so; you could pack it ahead of time for school/work/whatever.

I haven't found a brand that's less sweet than most, but interested to hear if others have!

brittone2
05-09-2013, 01:01 PM
Plain regular or plain greek, no sweetener.

abh5e8
05-09-2013, 02:52 PM
yup...we buy only plain (and not bc we are diabetic) and my dc all love it. the sour taste is actually really good, although decidedly different then the (overly) sweet of most yogurt.

cinnamon is something good to add, or vanilla extract, to give some flavor without a lot of sugar.

we also buy it buy the qt size tub and spoon into bowels...much cheaper that way!

anyother tasty option is to add dry dill, onion powder and garlic powder to plain yogurt and its an awesome ranch dip (for veggies) or salad dressing (can thin with a little milk or water if needed).

BunnyBee
05-09-2013, 04:01 PM
Plain. Add real fruit. Nuts are good too.

rin
05-09-2013, 04:04 PM
We also only every buy plain yogurt. Full-fat is less sour than lower-fat versions, if your family doesn't like the slightly sour taste of plain yogurt. We all do, DDs included. We sometimes mix it with fruit puree, unsweetened applesauce, or fresh fruit. We don't actually add sweeteners, though.

essnce629
05-09-2013, 05:21 PM
Plain full fat greek yogurt with a teaspoon of no-sugar added jam mixed in? That's what I do. You can also buy xylitol sweetened jam at Whole Foods. I buy the Nature's Hollow brand, but I'm not sure if it's available nation wide. It can by ordered online though:

http://www.natureshollow.com/

bigpassport
05-09-2013, 05:44 PM
Smith's/Kroger brand has a Carbmaster Yogurt made with sucralose that has only 4 grams of carbs including 3 grams of sugar.

Katigre
05-09-2013, 05:44 PM
Cinnamon is really good in pain yogurt and also good for blood sugar.

Keep in mind that about 12g of the sugar listed on a container of yogurt is from lactose vs added sweetener.

Sent from my Android phone using Swype

BabbyO
05-14-2013, 10:45 AM
We make our own yogurt - it is REALLY easy. I made it all the time pre-kids. The boys are dairy free and I just started making yogurt using soy milk....

Depending on the milk you get, you can control the sugar content a lot easier. We add our own fruit, etc as desired.