PDA

View Full Version : Are there any garbage bags that can be recycled?

wencit
05-09-2013, 10:54 AM
Currently we have a kitchen trash can in which we throw all our recyclables. It's becoming a pain to drag the entire trash can to the backyard, where we keep the large recycling cart that gets picked up by the garbage company every week. I have to empty the kitchen can several times a week, and it would be so much easier if I could just line it with some kind of bag that I could tie up and throw into the cart, like I do with the garbage.

Does anyone know if a plastic bag exists that can be recycled? The garbage company can recycle many types of plastics (labels 1-7). Our Costco carries the biodegradable bags, but I don't think they are supposed to be recycled, are they? Or, if anyone has a solution that works for them, I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance!

abh5e8
05-09-2013, 02:59 PM
plastic walmar sacks can be recycled...i think most retail plastic bags can be. they are even labeled with the number in the trangle sign, like plastic bottles. now, whether your recycling company can/will take them or not, that may be another question. might want to give them a call and find out? (or give your kids the job of taking recycling out to the bin?)

Globetrotter
05-11-2013, 02:42 PM
I bought a trash can with a removable plastic insert. It's easy to remove it and dump out the recycling. Similar to this except round and taller I think:

http://www.simplehuman.com/40-litre-semi-round-step-can-fingerprint-proof-brushed-stainless-steel

mom_hanna
05-17-2013, 01:48 PM
Our trash company does not take plastic bags of any kind in the recycling. I'd probably call and find out if yours does.

YouAreTheFocus
05-17-2013, 03:10 PM
Well, we just use paper grocery bags, we don't have a dedicated can. Most times I empty the bag into the bin, but when it's had enough I toss the whole thing in. Would paper grocery bags be big enough? If not maybe paper lawn bags?