PDA

View Full Version : DD is not eating anything!!! Typical toddler?

TxCat
05-09-2013, 11:27 AM
I'm at the end of my rope with DD. Her eating habits haven't been great for the last 4-6 months but they've really gotten especially awful the last 2 weeks. She used to eat fruit (apples, bananas, berries), spaghetti (could get protein and veggies in there), turkey meatballs, Mac & cheese (again, could get some protein and veggies in there), eggs, oatmeal, etc. Not super diverse, but not terrible. Now, all she wants are plain carbs - whole wheat bagel, Cheerios, and occ. yogurt (strawberry flavor only - it's relatively low sugar, but still some). Fruit consumption is way, way down. Won't even try 99% of what I offer her. Usually the only thing she will eat at dinner or lunch (besides what I've listed above) is this packaged whole grain rice with garbanzos that DH gets at WF. She usually just picks out the garbanzos and eats those separately, but won't eat garbanzos in any other form. Doesn't really like peanut butter, won't touch a quesadilla, doesn't want to try a variety of dips anymore - no guacamole, hummus, etc.

She needs to eat better but I'm at a total loss. This change has sort of mirrored the timeframe that we've been potty training though, and I'm suspicious that increased sugar intake is a culprit due to rewards - M&m, graham cracker, etc. I'm thinking about taking away all added sugar products, but I'm worried that she won't eat anything! Any ideas?

georgiegirl
05-09-2013, 11:43 AM
How frustrating. It could also be related to the power struggle of potty training...refusing foods as yet another way to assert her control.

Does she ever try to eat your food? DS will eat food off my plate (including indian food) that he'd never touch if I put on his plate. I've also found my kids to try new foods when other kids are eating them too. I know some moms will put out a bunch of random stuff in a muffin tin (like raisins, cubes of cheese, a dollop of dip, veggies cut into interesting shapes, etc.) and just leave it out for the kid to graze on. No pressure. Sometimes I'm amazed at what my child will eat when I dont ask him to eat it. I will say that DD is much less picky now at 7 than she was at 2 or 3. I think 2-3 is the pickiest age, in part because its a way for them to exert some sort of control.

mikala
05-09-2013, 12:41 PM
Yeah, I was wondering about a potty training power struggle, too, or constipation related to that reducing her appetite. Not that solely eating processed white foods would help constipation anyway but hey, toddlers aren't known for their logical thinking.

I don't have any suggestions other than to keep on offering her the foods you want her to eat and hope she eventually gets the memo. Assuming she doesn't have any underlying sensory or other issues that legitimately affect her diet I find the division of responsibilty in feeding reassuring. http://www.ellynsatter.com/ellyn-satters-division-of-responsibility-in-feeding-i-80.html

Good luck and I hope it's a phase that passes quickly!

brittone2
05-09-2013, 01:00 PM
In terms of PTing, is she working on pooping in the potty? It isn't uncommon for that to trigger withholding and constipation. And as many parents here can attest to, daily poop that doesn't look hard doesn't necessarily mean they aren't constipated.

I think when kids go through certain picky phases, it can be helpful to limit the easy, quick carbs, because those so often seem to end up being the preferred food. Mac and cheese, crackers, pretzels, bagels, etc. Obviously in some cases that's a sensory thing, but I think a lot of toddlers and preschoolers will opt for those foods over anything else if they are available. There might be a transition period, but I'd probably limit what comes into the house in terms of those quick, carby items and see if she starts eating more diversely. I think it is easier to not bring it in vs. constantly redirecting to something else or saying no all day.

abh5e8
05-09-2013, 02:55 PM
i'm in the camp of "only offer what you want them to eat" and (baring any special medical needs) let their tummies dictate what they eat. i'd cut out all added sugars and offer her more whole fruits, veggies, rice/beans and meats.

also, their appetite really drops off around that age, so it could be that she has learned she can get full enough on the sweets (even when it doesn't seem like you are offering them that much) and hold out on the rest.

another good option is to push fluids (water and milk) between meals or at snacks, not at meals so they don't fill up on drinks. but do make sure she is drinking enough...constipation can be a real issue, causing them to feel full all the time and dec appetite.

TxCat
05-09-2013, 05:32 PM
i'm in the camp of "only offer what you want them to eat" and (baring any special medical needs) let their tummies dictate what they eat. i'd cut out all added sugars and offer her more whole fruits, veggies, rice/beans and meats.

So, I'm definitely leaning towards this approach, but how far do I take it? If we cut out Cheerios and whole wheat bagels, I'm not sure she will eat anything. How long would I wait her out on this? I envision a scenario where she refuses meals for a couple of days.

Brittone - she is working on pooping on the potty with limited success. She probably has mild constipation, which has been the case since starting solid foods, more or less. I'm usually successful with giving her prune juice when necessary, but lately she refuses that unless we disguise a tablespoon or two in yogurt or dilute apple juice, which I'd prefer not to give her, but the she won't take the prune juice.

I'm okay with taking away all carbs or processed foods, like Cheerios, but how long do I wait her out if she refuses to eat?

Katigre
05-09-2013, 05:41 PM
I have found with my own children that increased sugar consumption =increased pickiness.

When I am careful to limit their added sugar intake to no more than 15g-20g/day they have a far better appetite for whole foods.

Sent from my Android phone using Swype

Katigre
05-09-2013, 05:46 PM
So, I'm definitely leaning towards this approach, but how far do I take it? If we cut out Cheerios and whole wheat bagels, I'm not sure she will eat anything. How long would I wait her out on this? I envision a scenario where she refuses meals for a couple of days.

Brittone - she is working on pooping on the potty with limited success. She probably has mild constipation, which has been the case since starting solid foods, more or less. I'm usually successful with giving her prune juice when necessary, but lately she refuses that unless we disguise a tablespoon or two in yogurt or dilute apple juice, which I'd prefer not to give her, but the she won't take the prune juice.

I'm okay with taking away all carbs or processed foods, like Cheerios, but how long do I wait her out if she refuses to eat?

I bought the "just prunes" baby food squeeze pouches to give dd when she needs it. Better than juice Imo.

And in terms of food choices, I'd start with the bigger sugar issues and then do a more gradual transition. It takes a couple weeks for taste buds to regenerate.

TxCat
05-09-2013, 06:03 PM
I bought the "just prunes" baby food squeeze pouches to give dd when she needs it. Better than juice Imo.

And in terms of food choices, I'd start with the bigger sugar issues and then do a more gradual transition. It takes a couple weeks for taste buds to regenerate.

Where can I find the "just prunes" squeeze pouch - any major grocery store?

Katigre
05-09-2013, 06:21 PM
Where can I find the "just prunes" squeeze pouch - any major grocery store?

Yes but it's cheaper in Amazon subscribe & save.